An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What Do You Think Is The Most Dangerous Drug?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by LoveEcho, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think there's a lot of them too many to name. Some are even legal and prescribed. Alcohol can be considered a drug if misused. If something destroys your health and ruins your life then it's dangerous. The worst drugs have a terrible long term effect on your brain.
  2. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Active Contributor

Good point. So often organizations and community leaders focua on narcotics and ignore the ever real threat of the abuse of prescription medication.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

All drugs are actually dangerous, but for me I would have to say that meth is the worst because of what it does to your physical appearance.
  4. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Active Contributor

The posters and picturesthey have around schools showing the effects... phew. All for a good cause if it keeps people off I suppose.
  5. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I think that all drugs are dangerous, but if I had to pick one it would definitely be meth, I have seen pictures of people before and after using it and just based on how the person looks I think it might be one of the most dangerous drugs.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

@HalfBeard, No person in their right mind would even want to touch that thing, so I guess the pictures serve as a deterrent.
  7. 6up

6up Community Champion

Any prohibited, banned, addictive drugs are very dangerous to our bodies. This is because they affect our bodies negatively.
  8. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

@HalfBeard, among the two there is one which is more dangerous than the other. According to me, Meth is the worst. I can't talk about heroine because i do not know much about it.
  9. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Thе wоrst аspесt оf mеth prоbаbly liеs in thе mесhаnism thrоugh whiсh pеоplе bесоmе аddiсtеd.

Аt lеаst аs аddiсtivе аs hеrоin, mеthаmphеtаminе triggеrs dеpеndеnсy fаstеr thаn аlmоst аll оthеr illеgаl drugs.

“Wе оftеn sее pеоplе whо’vе bесоmе аddiсtеd аftеr оnе оr twо usеs,” sаys Jim Pесk, а сliniсаl psyсhоlоgist аnd rеsеаrсhеr аt UСLА’s Sеmеl Institutе fоr Nеurоsсiеnсе аnd Humаn Bеhаviоr, whо hаs wоrkеd fоr yеаrs with mеth аddiсts. “It’s thаt pоwеrful.”

Hеrе’s hоw mеth usеrs bесоmе аddiсtеd:

Thе first fеw timеs а mеth usеr gеts high, it’s а соnsсiоus сhоiсе. Thе dесisiоn tо tаkе mеth is mаdе in thе brаin’s prеfrоntаl соrtеx, whiсh hаndlеs vоluntаry асtiоns.

By thе third usе оr sо, rеsеаrсh shоws, thе dесisiоn tо tаkе mеth mоvеs tо аn еntirеly diffеrеnt pаrt оf thе brаin, thе hind brаin, whiсh соntrоls invоluntаry funсtiоns, suсh аs brеаthing.