An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

WHAT DO YOU THINK KEPT YOU IN ADDICTION?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Adrianna, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

What were some of the factors or things that you can identify that kept you stuck in addiction? I would tend to think if you can identify what causes you to continue something that is unhealthy or wrong for you. It might just help to get you out of it.
    Tsky45 likes this.
  2. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

What caused me to be stuck in addiction was my past abuse. Memories of being abused haunted me, and when I was high I wasn't thinking about that. It was an escape. Not only was I addicted to drugs, I was addicted to not feeling any pain.
  3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Boredom was.my number one reason. When I was bored smoking would break up the monotony of the day and give me something to do. I used to drink a lot too when I was going through personal issues and needed to escape reality for a while.
  4. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

Alcohol and marijuana became a part of my life, I needed them to function day to day and to unwind. I didn't need a trigger to make me smoke or drink, my abuse became a daily routine, for example, just like brushing my teeth when I awoke in the morning. The reasons why I first started to abuse became less of a factor in why I continued to abuse.
  5. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I kept being an alcoholic because my life was so horrible I did not want to be sober and have to live through it anymore. Every day I hoped I could just die and my suffering to be put to an end. I hated myself with a passion, and did not care about anything anymore.
  6. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Stress at work was the main culprit for me. I was able to stop with my addiction to cigarettes (and alcohol) after I resigned from work. But when I started working again, and the stress had taken its toll, that's when I had a relapse. It took me three tries to finally become sober and the main reason for my relapse was always stress at work. So what I did was look for something less stressful and something that I can really enjoy doing (or put up with). ;)
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

For me what kept me doing drugs is the deceptive thought that the drugs would help me cope with stress. When I learned that they didn't help much I had no choice but to find other ways to de-stress. And that I believe is what helped me stay clean when I stopped using drugs because I no longer had any use for them.

Identifying an underlying problems and "fixing it" would guarantee the addict fighting his addiction victory [that I'm sure of].
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Stress and depression were the reasons I turned to alcohol. Whenever you feel down, you somehow look for something to do to ease away your worries and problems, and alcohol helped me forget about some bad things in life. But yeah, the pleasure was only temporary.
  9. Adrianna

Hmmm. Life was horrible and you hated yourself. This kind of stuff is interesting to me. The hating of yourself. I'm curious about that because I don't understand it. Perhaps because its not really in my vocabulary or emotions. I'm just wondering how this happens to someone. I'm going to guess it starts out external. Like someone else's garbage. Hence the "my life is so horrible" feeling. I'm going to say you are a really good person. Perhaps absorbing other peoples hatred towards you. Not that you are the kind that someone "should or would". But the contrary is true. A good, intelligent, likable person---who absorbs other peoples negativity. So in turn, their thoughts and emotions directed; causes you to hate yourself.
    Otherwise how in the hell does this happen? My only experience with this is two different women telling me that I, talking about me, hate myself. It was so puzzling to me for someone to say this to me. My conclusion was that they were talking about themselves that they hated themselves. What's interesting is they had similar habits and thought patterns. Hatred is quite strong. Dislike or resentment I can understand, and probably I could stand to ditch this as well. Hatred to me is a useless poison. I do think there is a difference between hatred and anger. No matter how messed up life is I've always felt like there are plenty of reasons to just find a way to be happy.
    There has got to be some sort of disconnection with self-hatred. Originally inflicted from an outside source. Parents or whoever is around.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I was never an addict, but when I used to smoke weed, the reason was out of curiosity, boredom, and I wanted to feel again the "high" sensation that it gives. I think that's what triggers most people to try drugs, and if they can gain access to it, then it opens the possibility for the person to become addicted if he has an addictive personality.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

For me it was a few things, I think. Low self esteem was the biggest, I'd say - I've always struggled with not feeling accepted, and with a need to fit in - and I think that kept me there for a while. I wasn't one to speak up for myself at the time and was very much a crowd follower. I also think it was the circle of people I hung out with at the time that kept me in that cycle.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

For me I didn't even realise I was an addict until one day, I took a step back and looked at my life.

It sort if just crept up on me, and I think that's the case with a lot of people, and its not that they don't want to get out of that hole they've dug for themselves, its just they don't realise they're in there in the first place.
  13. Adrianna

Yeah this happens. Sometimes when someone says something or points it out. This can happen with almost anything. I think they call it denial and being totally oblivious.
  14. Nergaahl

@Adrianna I hated myself because I considered that I was a failure. Because I was not able to do anything else to make my situation better than running from home. I hated what I had become and thought that life was not worth living anymore, saw no point in it. Luckily, someone was there to save me. I sometimes wonder that if she showed up later in my life I wouldn't have been there right now.
  15. Adrianna

Well, better that she did. Hate is actually something that never really does anyone any good. Whether its towards yourself, another, or something. Its quite destructive. Peace lies within acceptance. Maybe if other people aren't always going to be kind, we can at least be kind to ourselves.
    This subject just makes me think of these two idiots who said to me that I hate myself. Still a concept I don't really understand so its interesting to see your view of it. Hates a deep one. Just ones perception of something. I suppose we could all stand to be more fond of ourselves. Got to be some kind of balance.
    You hated yourself because you thought you were a failure. What you had become. Beating yourself up mentally. "thought life was not worth living." I think that is fairly normal. Many people go through that at one point or another. Then some people have got to throw on their, life is what you make it. Its like that's nice but its not going to make me feel better. There is a quote from a song that fits this. Now that I look at it there is more within the song. Its just about learning to live.....

Some say love, it is a river that drowns the tender reed
    Some say love, it is a razor that leaves your soul to bleed
    Some say love, it is a hunger an endless aching need
    I say love, it is a flower and you, it's only seed
    It's the heart, afraid of breaking that never learns to dance
    It's the dream, afraid of waking that never takes the chance
    It's the one who won't be taken who cannot seem to give
    And the soul, afraid of dying that never learns to live

When the night has been too lonely and the road has been too long
    And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong
    Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snow
    Lies the seed that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes the rose
  16. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

Friends always kept me in addiction. And the moment i decided to turn my life around and made new friends, i began fighting addiction successfully.
  17. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I agree completely, that's why I like forums like this. When you know the cause of the problem then you can find the solution. Talking to other people about this gives you an idea of what causes these types of addictions. I believe it's the effect certain things have on your mind that can cause you to be addicted to it. Once you understand how your mind and body functions, you can figure out the effects of what you're addicted to has on both, that's the beginning of the solution.
  18. 6up

6up Community Champion

When I used to drink, I can remember that stress was a major cause. I used to think that by drinking, I could avoid the stress. Influence by friends also contributed to my drinking behavior. Sometimes idleness made me to join my friends to take a drink at the pub.
  19. Nergaahl

@Adrianna Those lyrics are really nice. And you are right. We all have to find our own way and not let ourselves influenced by other people. Life may not be so good at a certain point, but things will change and we have to wait and see what the future is preparing for us, instead of putting and end to everything. The best things in our lives come when we expect the least.
  20. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Self-doubt, mostly. I became addicted once I lost my road in life, it wasn't really something I planned beforehand. Substances were the only thing keeping me away from this world. There were days where I was just sleeping for 12 hours or even more, it was pretty sad.