An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What do you think of new medicines that let you smoke on them?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by primalclaws1974, Jan 19, 2015.

1. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

There are a lot of newer medicines, like Chantix, that let a person smoke for awhile when they first start taking it. When I first heard this I thought it was a bad idea. But I was comparing it to the patch, which has some nicotine in it. If people smoke while using a patch they are getting extra nicotine in their system than before, and it can be harmful. But these new prescriptions are not like that. I sometimes wonder if they are effective, if a person is still smoking for up to a month on it. What are your thoughts?
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I know with the patch or gum, you can actually get sick if you smoke because that is way too much nicotine entering into your system. With Chantix, it is supposed to block the craving indicators in your brain so that you don't even crave a cigarette. I did not go with Chantix because there are several negative side effects that go along with it that I did not want to chance getting.
  3. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

Honestly, if you listen to any of these medicine commercials, it sounds like their product is going to kill you. How can one little pill cause so many things to happen negatively to your body? They didn't explain these warnings in the past. Has a law been passed that makes them tell you of the possible side-effects? How does one know which one is safer when all the commercials are saying what "might" happen? It seems like a crap-shoot.
  4. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Scam to get people to use it. Lol I mean come on, just quit already. I know its so hard to do. They realized they needed to make something like this for people with no will power who couldn't handle it cold turkey. What they should give them is some bubble gum cigarettes. Let them go back to grade school for a moment or two. Maybe those other things. The fake cigarettes with some kind of liquid herbal in it. Lol
    Eat lots of apples and apple juice. Apple cider vinegar baths. This is the best way. Forget the drugs. I know someone who smoked 3 packs a day that killed the cravings with the cider baths.
    Mara likes this.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

44% of smokers who use Chantix will embrace victory over their addiction but it comes at a price. Here are some of its nasty side effects:

- nausea
    - headache
    -flatulence
    - weird, unusual dreams.
    - insomina
    - constipation
    - drowsiness

Most smokers who want quit smoking are often advised to try other options and only turn to Chantix when everything else has failed. That's how bad it is.
  6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

It is funny how the drug companies advertise these items and then have a whole list of things that could go wrong, to include death if you take them. It is hard to quit smoking no matter what method you use.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not that familiar with Chantix but I do not think that it is a good idea to smoke anything. Smoking anything can be bad and better to really stop smoking or totally quit. It is hard but it is the best thing to do.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think anything that can help an individual stop smoking can only be a good thing, and the more choice a person as, the more likely they'll be to find one that's right for them.

Some people do struggle with willpower, and will have to cut down gradually instead of doing it cold turkey, and that where medicines like this come in.
  9. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I don't know anyone that has taken it but what I have read online, seems to really work. I don't know if it's real or just some sort of sales rep. I think if it worked so well you would see it on sale everywhere.
  10. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

It really sounds weird and there must be a catch. Why would any medicine that's supposed to help you stop smoking allow you to keep smoking. I don't know but this sounds like a bad idea to me too. I guess we'll see how well this works later on.
  11. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Personally, I'd still advise anyone who wants to quit smoking to go cold turkey, and for those people who can't go cold turkey, to slowly wean off cigarettes. I would not take a medicine that has so many side effects. Medicines should make us feel better and not the other way around.
  12. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I have heard about similar medications, but I have zero experiences with them and have no idea how they actually work. I've been thinking of giving those a try if my fiance doesn't manage to quit the usual way. I truly hope he actually tries quitting this time.
  13. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

Yes, an individual can experience some withdrawal symptoms but they are temporary. They will not last forever and they will fade with time. You just need enough patient.
  14. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

Exactly, all those side effects pop up on the end of commercials. It really is sad how much the drug companies do for money.
  15. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

I personally think that it has been a good idea to implement medication into cigarettes in order to make people take them while pleasingtheir addiction, very ingenious.
  16. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

Are these products supposed to help you quit smoking? I guess their thinking is that it is better to wean off of them. It seems weird that they would advertise it that way.
  17. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I have heard some interesting things about chantix. These are some known possible effects, it doesn't on the other hand mean that they will actually happen.