An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What Do Your Local Police Do To Help?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by SashaS, Apr 2, 2016.

1. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Where I live the police may as well not exist. They don't do their job and its perfectly easy to buy, sell, use and smuggle drugs in and around my city. This is mainly due to the new Black Economic Empowerment law, which means that unqualified people that are of the African (black) race, are eligible for jobs whereas the qualified people of any other race are not. So we have a bunch of people running the country who have barely gone to school and this extends all the way to our President.

As a result drug abuse is all too common and people are even smoking weed publicly in groups at local sports games at the stadium. I'm not saying this has to do with what race predominantly takes the role of police officers here, nor am I saying ALL the police here are like this, but it is an accurate generalization.
    Most police can't tell the difference between cannabis and lawn grass.

What do your local police do and are they effective at their jobs?
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I feel like anywhere you live there's going to be police that are passionate about their work and trying to make things better, and there will be police that don't really care all that much. Sadly that's most careers and most lines of work! I don't think my local police are bad, but I do think that particularly in relation to drug use that I think a treatment/rehab based approach would absolutely be better than criminal convictions for addicts.
  3. Mara

Mara Community Champion

One of my brothers is a police officer and from what I've seen, his job is not easy. We live in a drug infested neighborhood and whenever he takes into custody a neighbor who is addicted to drugs like meth, some of our neighbors see this as some sort of betrayal. One time, he arrested someone who turned out to be my mom's god daughter. It wasn't really easy and the situation was quite complicated. But he must uphold the law so he did his job even though he was conflicted about the arrest.
  4. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

That is really a bad situation your community is going through. Looks like there is no law and order but my community is the very opposite. People are always watching their backs to avoid sighting a Police Officer.

The Police here are very effective; if you cross the road or a street, you are in for trouble and a fine is awaiting you. Illegal residents do not walk around during the day for fear of being caught by the Police.
  5. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

It is the same here. In Serbia police know everything but they work slow and they are very much incompetent. Not all of them but even those capable just go along because they realize they cannot do much individually. Usually they arrest small drug dealers and those who are the real problem they allow to run the country from the shadows. Actually they even get orders from those criminals. It is not uncommon to have cops kill each other and it is because of some problems related to drugs, debts or other criminal activities like racketeering and such. A terrible place to live in.
  6. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

It sounds like some of you live in very stressful situations! In my town the police work hard to keep drugs out of here, but it is a never ending battle. And there is quite a bit of corruption too.

One big problem that comes with all the drugs is theft and burglary. You can't leave anything outside or in your car around here or it will be stolen. So sad that our world has to be like this.
  7. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

I feel as if they do nothing. I always wonder how I as a citizen who minds his own business know everything that is going on yet they have no clue. I don't think they are interested in getting involved with most situations. They only take part if it reaches a stage where you can't ignore it.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Police in my home town, understaffed though they are, do their job remarkably well. Unfortunately though that as alcohol is legal, and it's what's most widely abused here, there's little they can do to fight the problem which as it appears will only keep growing.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

In my city the police tend to turn a blind eye to the small dealers, and while that isn't right, I think because of all the budget cuts imposed on them they don't have much choice.

Is catching a rapist more important than catching a marijuana dealer? That's the decisions that they have to make every day.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

In here, sadly to say that the police officers are not doing their jobs well. We are actually surrounded by police officers in the neighborhood and addicts as well. They seem to just ignore the addiction around and some officers are even friends with them like drinking with them in the streets with their police uniform.
  11. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I have literally no awareness of the police doing anything about drugs. Marijuana is now legal, and it's always been the most common drug in the area, so that really reduces the illegal drug activity, though with increased use may increase traffic citations.

In a neighboring town I do hear about a lot of meth activity, but I don't feel like the police are doing near enough to address the dealers and find and get rid of the places where it is being made.
  12. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I seriously doubt that what your saying about the president is true. President Obama or any other African American running our country is not the main cause of drug problems. If President Obama wasn't qualified for the job he wouldn't have gotten it both times. On top of that things in this country are really no worse of than when Bush was running it and other so called qualified people. The solution starts with people in the communities, if you want where you live to be a better place you have to do something to make it better.
  13. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

Well I basically owe my life to a local police office, so that might effect my opinion. I am not sure if all of those issues you are talking about really relate to the local police though, and also many of them are skeptical to begin with. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I hope that any corruption of mistreatment comes to an end soon.
  14. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I never had a problem with police all together. It really all starts with policies that are put into place. The police just do there jobs, if you have corrupt police that's because someone allows it. But when it comes to drug infested neighborhoods the police or the people that live there don't have any thing to do with that. Whoever brings drugs into this country is allowed to. If you can crack down on terrorism there's no reason you wouldn't know what's being smuggled into our borders. The reason there are so much drugs in lower income areas is because that's where the private prison industry targets the most.
  15. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Thanks for the informative replies! Police have helped many people and saved countless lives and we should all be grateful for that. We should rather refer to specific people instead of making generalizations though, because at the end of the day its the people behind the name that make the difference.

Its whether that man/woman is a coward or a hero. Its whether that person is there to make a difference and save lives, or that person is just there to make money. Its certain people that put the name of police down, unfortunately it can sometimes be the highest ranking officers and leaders, which is the case in my country. The head of police has a criminal record and didn't finish high school, its a real shame.
  16. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Hmmm... To be honest, there are two kinds of police: those who take their job seriously and those who are there just to abuse their power. So in that sense, I cannot really generalise and say that all police here don't do their job when it comes to drug trafficking. In the news, you would see the police arresting drug lords and seizing over drug warehouses. It's actually a common news event and a week won't pass by without a news program going into the details of the supposed drug operations by the police.

But of course, I've also heard stories of police who are supposedly involved with drugs as well. Like a few weeks ago, a former police deputy officer was found in a drug operation by the authorities. He was previously the one who arrests drug lords and criminals. But then he was found in a secret operation and so he was arrested. His alibi is that he was there to investigate as well, even though he is retired already. Needless to say, the police didn't believe his alibi.

So there is always two sides in a story... There's no doubt that there are police people that do their job well. I commend them for that. But there are also people in the police force that are there to take advantage of their title. And it's not just drug trafficking, supposedly some higher officials are corrupted and use the police's funds for their own good.
  17. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I live in Mexico and it's almost the same thing in my city, there are a lot of drug dealers and drug users in general and they don't really do nothing. Sometimes they just arrest them but I've heard histories where when they ask for money or drugs to set them free, so they don't really do their job, it's a shame that police has to be this way in a lot of places.
  18. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

First of all, I'd like to thank my local department because they have been doing a great job regarding the drugs that are being sold around my neighborhood regardless of what people might say about them I think they risk their lives every single day just to catch a junkie selling dope in a corner of whatever street they have available, there's a couple of kids that hang around with some of the dealers but they don't do it anymore because they know if they keep up with the behaviour they are gonna end up in jail or dead.
    I wont reveal any personal information by the way.
  19. jackiewbu

jackiewbu Member

I find that in my city the police only care about two things. 1. If you have tinted windows. 2. High school kids with Marijuana. Those are honestly the only things the police pull you over for where I am from. Yet they never seem to catch the huge heroin distribution. It's almost as popular as weed now and it's starting to be sold in the schools and law enforcement does nothing to stop it.
  20. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Well our local police are prone to taking bribes and only few are really efficient in fighting criminals. They seize pirated goods and drugs but I have seen reports that some police still sell the confiscated drugs in the black market.