An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What does recovery mean to you?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by kassie1234, Oct 1, 2015.

1. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

If you could sum up your sobriety and recovery experience, are there any positive words you would use to describe it to others?

To me, it meant I got my self respect back.

It got me out of the fog that alcohol brought, and made me see life with a new clarity.

It helped me reassess my relationships in life, and now my connections with people are positive and meaningful, rather than destructive.

It's helped me empathize with others better!

How about you? I'd love to hear what sobriety/recovery meant to you, and the positive ways it's helped re-frame and re-shape your life!
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I'm still in the process of fighting my addiction. Have managed to resist cravings for about three months now and so far these the positive ways it has changed my life:

- I have more time to do more productive things that I'd previously neglected.

- My desire for freedom from drugs prompted me to challenge my friends who are also captive to different addictions to join me and two of them decided to battle their addictions. Should this succeed it will give me the motivation I need to help more addicts.

And in addition to all that I'm healthier!
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Recovery for me isn't just about beating your addiction, it's about reclaiming your life back that the substance took away in the first place.

Building your life back up and moving forward is the only way to truly recover, and while it is a hard process, it can be done.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Recovery and sobriety mean getting my life back. I am not dependent on a substance to feel like I am living a normal life. I can see more clearly now and have a lot to look forward to. It is a breathe of fresh air.
  5. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Only one word comes to mind. "What does it been to me?" LIFE!!!!!!!!!
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

To me, it means having a whole new life outside cocaine. For years, the most pressing item on my agenda was scoring coke. I've released myself from that burden now. No more phoning round people late at night. No more scrimping on essentials and no more close shaves with the law. Without cocaine, I am truly free.
  7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I don't need to abstain anymore and that truly helps me in terms of self-confidence. I can be comfortable around alcohol and cigarettes without craving them which I think it's really important. I feel like I'm finally free and I have my personality back.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Sobriety and recovery for me simply means that a former addict was able to overcome being controlled by drugs, alcohol, or any substance that he was once dependent on, and sticking to that, leaving his old negative behavior behind. Recovery is an improved life in general.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Short but sweet! I know that for many of us, continuing on our paths of addiction would have meant possibly the end to our life - always important to remember the wonderful things sobriety brings!
    karmaskeeper likes this.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have never became an addict before, so I have never really went through some serious recovery. But if I would describe recovery, I would say it's about getting back on track and straightening things up in your life. It also symbolizes hope for a new beginning.
  11. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

For me it means learning how to cope with life without drowning out my feelings with drugs and alcohol. Gaining my real personality back. Learning how to socialize with the real me. And not a masked me.