An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What does Tramadol do to you?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by youcansellerz, Jun 10, 2015.

1. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Kaynj... I'm glad that Tramadol helped you and that you were able to stop using it with no issues when you no longer needed it. Unfortunately, a lot of people have brains that are wired differently and their brains keep craving certain meds when the person stops using them. That's the reason some people struggle with addiction and others don't. Be grateful that you're in the latter category.
  2. ikealand88

ikealand88 Member

Ive been on Tramadol off and on for migraine headaches and arthritis. Basically since it is controlled it is a lot harder to obtain from a doctor and is also considered the new "painkiller" in ER's or doctor's office unless you have a broken bone. In all honesty it helps my leg and lets me focus at work.
    deanokat likes this.
  3. Kjhart

Kjhart Member

I've been using Tramadol (also known as Ultram) for about twelve years for chronic, severe lower back pain from multiple accidents/ injuries ( rode motocross and surfed professionally). I use it as directed, and often take less than prescribed (6x daily). I usually get by with 2 every 4-6 hours. I have tried many other opioids-Norco, Vicodin, MS-Contin(morphine sulphate continuous release) and others. Tramadol works very well for me, and I function well on it. Don't get me wrong, everyone is different, and some of the horror stories in this forum are undoubtedly true. But chronic pain is debilitating, causes depression and sleep problems, chronic fatigue etc. If I didn't have this option for pain treatment, I wouldn't be able to work. However, take only as prescribed, don't take more than one at a time at first, when you are safe at home (don't have to drive) and see how you feel. If abused or taken for a long period of time, it can be horrible to detox from. I had my RX stolen from my boat when I had a group on board for a cruise and dock party. Because it's a controlled substance, I had to wait two weeks for refill(Drs will issue emergency refill, but not for two weeks). I was miserable the whole time. Flu like symptoms and chronic weakness, fatigue and extreme depression.
    It's a great medication if you tolerate it well, but like any other opioids, it can cause dependency. Good luck.
    deanokat likes this.
  4. deanokat

@Kjhart... I'm glad Tramadol works for you. When taken as directed, meds can be a wonderful thing for people who need them. Thanks for sharing your insight with us. It's much appreciated.
  5. Titawida

Titawida Member

Cocaine? Did you research why?
  6. Kjhart

Kjhart Member

My advice steak everything you hear with a grain of salt just like anything else on the internet. It amazes me how much ignorance there is surrounding this medication that includes doctors and nurses who should know better. Tramadol is a synthetic narcotic comes in 15 mg tablets or can be obtained in an extended release form. It can be abused just like any other narcotic medication but it usually doesn't give that high feeling like Norcos or other hydrocodone medications. It is a very effective painkiller and taken as directed is very safe. However if you've been taking it for a long time and you decide to stop you need to taper off gradually. If you stop taking it abruptly do withdrawal symptoms can being very unpleasant. Usually the people that experience seizures are those that have been taking large doses of the medication for a long time and then quit abruptly. Everyone reacts to medications differently so everyone's experience will be different. I take it for chronic back pain I've had two back surgeries, it's been a very effective painkiller for me and it's giving me a quality of life that I would not have had if it was not available to me. Use common sense and follow your doctor's instructions.
  7. adayinthelife

adayinthelife Member

While tramadol is a non narcotic medication it can be very dangerous if taken in excess. If you are used to heavy duty pain killers you probably won't even noticed that you've taken it but it can, without a doubt, cause SEIZURES. If you absolutely have to take it do not take more then is prescribed.
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  8. Horrible medication! You DO get addicted because it IS a narcotic. The. Chemical makeup is much like methadone. It makes you feel dirty and causes seizures and heart problems.
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  9. Josh111187

Josh111187 Community Champion

Thus you begin the process of getting highly dependent on the medication.
    I do not care what any doctor or website says about this pill or any other brands of tramadol. The fact remains that it's an opioid agonist,therefore releasing huge amounts of dopamine into your brain.
    It's also unique in that it causes a serotonin release acting like an antidepressant medication. In fact studies have shown that it is highly effective in major depression and anxiety.
    The downside being that just like a benzodiazepine when it wears off the original pain or discomfort physical or psychological are heightened. So if your current does doesn't work for you anymore then by upping the dose of course you are going to develop tolerance and because of this drugs properties, ultimately a dependence.
    And by the way the FDA recognized this medication as a controlled substance because of its high potential for abuse. It is a narcotic. I speak from experience when I say that it's just plain foolish to start experimenting with a drug you have to Google.
    How sad it would be to be dependent on a fake opiate.
    A side note my best friends grandfather was addicted to ultram(tramadol) and he committed suicide due to severe depression and the onset of relentless seizures from this medication. He took it as prescribed btw. Pharmaceuticals should never be taken lightly.
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  10. deanokat

Amen, @Josh111187!