An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What event made you quit?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by HalfBeard, Jan 5, 2016.

1. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Active Contributor

What event, experience, thought, or epiphany made some of you guys decide to change your lives and try to quit and recover?
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It wasn't really an event, as such, more than a combined total of the things I'd done while under the influence of alcohol. I remembered thinking at one point "is this really all there is to life?" and thinking that goals I had in life for things like starting a family and traveling the world wouldn't be possible if I was drinking all the time. So it was mainly that reason that made me realize I had a problem and made me commit to overcoming it.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I just lost interest smoking cigarettes, I never really got addicted to it. I last smoked way back 2010, and I never craved for it again. It's nice to know that I don't have an addictive personality.
  4. HalfBeard

Would you say your own thoughts and introspection played a big role?
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Definitely - I think that was key. I guess I've always been someone that has dwelled on things a lot (can be both a good and a bad thing!) and I just knew that it wasn't a lifestyle I wanted to lead anymore.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

For me it was the realization that the addiction had taken over my life. I couldn't get anything done because all I had on my mind was the "fix." I had to choose between be in control of my life and having drugs enslave me forever. I chose the former.
    John F. likes this.
  7. HalfBeard

These are some awesome anecdotes guys. Hopefully seeing them will inspire others to share the same road as you! Keep it up!
  8. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I realised how much of my life I was wasting due to either being drunk or hungover, and I just knew that I couldn't carry on like this anymore, because it was having a real impact on me. So I decided that I was going to stop drinking, and I have stuck to that decision, and my life is a lot better since I changed my habits.
  9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Simply because I didn't see the point anymore. I was unhappy, addicted and a lot of my money was going down the drain for no reason. I went from having a lot of disposable cash to barely paying rent and affording a couple of clothes monthly. That's when I realize that I will collapse if I don't make a change.
  10. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

Its taking me so many wasted years getting to the point of where Im at in my addiction and recovery. I had to go thru so much pain and heartache and loss of freedom, loss of self, loss of family. I gave up so much to be an Addict. I was killing myself physically, spiritually, and emotionally with drugs and alcohol. I finally got sick and tired of being sick and tired and decided to get help.
  11. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

My body went ahead and told me, and it did not do so quietly. I finally hit a wall, and I consider myself lucky in a weird way. It is not until after the fact that you really realize how close it can take you, which is scary. It is the classic I wish I had known then what I know now. Its an everyday thing though, so it has to keep being the reason why I quit.
  12. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I used to do marijuana and other drugs occasionally when I was young, and really had no significant event that made me quit, I guess I just aged out of them when I started working and became responsible enough to know that I needed to be able to pass drug tests. I quit smoking when. I started to develop a nasty cough.
  13. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

My younger brother died while still addicted to heroine. I was also an addict then but after his death i decided to take the turn for the best. I am still recovering from my brother's loss and from the addictive life.
  14. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

A lot of things lead up to me quitting. I had a child, I was raped by my best friend while he was high on the same thing I liked to take, I had walked away from all of my friends and family, etc.
  15. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

My body got covered in scars and I literally had no space to cut anymore. The only option would had been cutting in visible spots, but I did not want to hear or think about it. Then I realized how serious an issue it was and decided that it was time to change something. My body will never recover, but at least my mind did. My scars are my memories and a life lesson.
  16. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

There wasn't a certain event that made me quit, but seeing time pass so quickly and losing time using substances that I could spend healthier with my family and some friends did, I want to enjoy every moment of my life in the best way I can, that includes keeping myself away from substances.
  17. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I wasn't a full-blown alcoholic at the time I quit drinking, but I was certainly on my way to becoming one. My son attempted suicide at age 15 and then proceeded to start using drugs. His addiction hit me hard and, ironically, I started drinking more to help me "cope" with things. When my son was in treatment for heroin addiction, we had a family therapy session. The therapist told me, "Be the change you want to see in your son." That really resonated with me and I quit drinking that day. That was 7+ years ago, and it was one of the best things I've ever done.
    John F. likes this.
  18. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

For me it was when I realized i was hurting my mom as much as she hurt me when I was a kid and she was an alcoholic. Her addiction changed my life, I like to think that even though it exposed me to a lot terrible experiences no child should ever be exposed to, it's thanks to that I am who I am. Yes, at first I thought and even blamed her for ruining my life, but now I no longer feel that way... everything happens for a reason, yes, even my addiction.
  19. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I haven't really ditched alcohol for good. I was a pretty heavy drinker before, but I have now became a social drinker. What made me lessen my alcohol consumption was my spiritual relationship with God.
  20. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

For me it was a culmination of things that finally made me want to quit and finally achieve it.

I could see myself slowly sinking and on the verge of losing everything so I knew then that if I didn't act quickly and change then I'd be dead within a couple of years.