An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What event made you quit?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by HalfBeard, Jan 5, 2016.

1. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

Nice. Yours is the most extra ordinary experience. Never thought it could happen to any of the forum members here. Good luck with your sobriety life.
  2. denise13337

denise13337 Active Contributor

For some people it's never just one single event, but multiple events. For me it was a car accident, then after some time I relapsed. Then it was the loss of my boyfriend due to my addiction, but even after that I relapsed. That's sort of the cycle of an addict you're in then you're out, then you're back at it again.
    pwarbi likes this.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

The cycle of addiction affects most addicts, myself included and most people will have quit and relapsed that many times they'll have lost count.

Everyone will get to a point, a crossroads if you like when they know they will have to quit or it could be fatal. That's usually when they eventually manage to quit for good.
  4. nymcc

nymcc Member

I was exposed to drugs too early in life. I started smoking weed when I was 11. Then it was alcohol. At 14, I started mixing it with clonazepam. That's not even counting the 40 cigarettes a day. I was in a pretty bad shape to be honest.
    I think it was 2 events that really struck me.
    The first was august of 2009 when my boyfriend cheated on me. And, as the emotionally unstable teenage little girl I was, I did not react well. I remember cutting myself. But finally, I tried to overdose with clonazepam and woke up 2 days later at the hospital.
    After that, my parents learned about my addictions and we agreed that we had to do something about it. Mom cut hours of her work, my aunt would pick me up from school, and I even went to see a shrink. It was not the way I would want it to happen but it was something. I was still smoking cigarettes, though.
    The second event was 7 months after the intervention. I got back together with my boyfriend and got pregnant. I was 16, and emotionally fragile, but decided to have that little baby. It was a shock, to leave both the medication and the cigarettes, but my mind was set on it. I had to quit everything or I'd be endangering another life.
    I'm happy to say my boy is 5 today, and I've been clean for 6 years now. I'm only 22 but I won't even drink socially. I will never expose myself to the pain I had to deal with at such a young age ever again.
  5. endoftherainbow

endoftherainbow Active Contributor

I was drinking heavily one night, and there was a situation. Not a physical confrontation or anything like that, but there was something a woman did with another man in my presence that I had fallen for that was so hurtful and so vile, that for all my years of drinking, the intensity of my contempt and outrage was stronger than anything a thousand drinks could have done and overpowered the alcohol. It was in that instant that I looked around me and saw what it was doing to everyone else, and how it was nothing but a trap, sucking money away from me, ruining lives, stealing time, and everything and anything I cared about. From that night forward, I stopped drinking. Completely. I did start again a few times, but a strange thing happened to me. Every time I drank, I was instantly reminded while doing it about that night and drinking started to make me think of that instead of what it used to be to me. In the oddest of ways, something that was so awful, hurtful and negative made it possible for me to have the willpower to quit. It wasn't easy, and it did take years, but eventually, I did it. Every situation for people is different. But that's what it was for me, and what it took to get there. I was tired of being taken from, and I refused to let the worst that alcohol does and how it changes people rob me of my best and what I was supposed to have in life anymore.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

In a way having that feeling, being in a situation that makes you stop and think about what your doing is a blessing in disguise really.

While at the time what happens is a shock and not a nice experience,,in the long run its done you a favour and can change your life for the better.
  7. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I encountered Christ and my heart totally changed. I suddenly didn't want drugs or alcohol anymore because he changed my desires. That was 3 years ago and I haven't looked back since and I never will. If Jesus hadn't saved me, I would probably still be smoking and drinking and cutting myself.