An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What Exactly is codeine?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Rubyrose, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Member

I never really knew what it was, my mom likes this cough medication that has codeine and will only get cough medication that has codeine in it. She is addicted to it, but I am wondering what type of drug it is and why is it so addictive.
  2. jteezymob

jteezymob Member

Depends on the type of codeine. Sulphate or Phosphate, I cannot remember which is which. Tylenol 1 contains codeine, but it will not get you high. Prescription drugs like Tylenol 2 or 3 extreme codeine. Many people get a weird feeling like their skin is crawling if they take a little too much.
  3. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Member

I see, I did not know there were different types of codeine. I vaguely remember my mom taking Tylenol 3 (not sure if she took Tylenol 2), but I actually don't recall the effects it had on her during that time since I was younger. I do remember my mom, like I said before, taking cough syrup with codeine and it seems to cause her to get drowsy and sleep everywhere. She also can't talk correctly under the influence as well.
  4. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Codeine, not sure what anyone is thinking when they take this other than when it is absolutely necessary. It's from opium taken from natural and synthetic sources. Natural source would be the opium poppy. Synthetic being derived from morphine. Morphine can be used to make heroin. It is a narcotic and a controlled substance. There are 4 classes of concentration levels or strength in the United States.
    Withdrawal symptoms include: drug craving, runny nose, yawning, sweating, insomnia, weakness, stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle spasms, chills, irritability, and pain.
    Wait, look at that, a withdrawal symptom is pain. If you are taking it for pain what's the point to continue. Get off of it.
    Maybe if Mom knew all that she might not want it.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Codeine is an opiod and belongs to the same family of drugs as heroin, opium and methadone. So, yes, it can be pretty damgerous. Medicines containing codeine are freely available OTC in the UK and the issues surrounding their abuse potential are often being discussed.
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It is? The same family as heroin, opium, and methadone. I am not surprised. I probably have needed codeine a couple of times. I really don't care for pain killers. It wasn't something that continued. They make tylenol with codeine. I use herbs for pain. They work pretty well. There are all sorts you can use.
  7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I have only had Tylenol with Codeine once and that was prescribed right after I had my son. I felt very loopy while on it and had no pain. It is a serious narcotic and is only available by prescription here in the US.
  8. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

My husband got some cough syrup that had Codeine in it. Lord have mercy I got straight messed up off that stuff. It wasn't over the counter we live in a small town, and his mama has worked for the local Pharmacist for many years. Well it has it's perks, and we could get stuff like that without a prescription. I told him to throw that stuff away. I could see how people get hooked on it. I mean I had a cold, and bad cough after taking a swig of that I forgot all about my cough I was sky high.
  9. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

Here you can get codeine with a prescription from your doctor, or you can buy it in a slightly weaker formula and mixed with paracetamol from the pharmacy. It is very effective for coughs (for me, at least!). It does have an addictive quality to it so you would want to be very careful with it.

I've taken it for a two week period before and it was not very nice at all. I had jaw surgery and my surgeon recommended the dosage but it causes really bad constipation! Now I'm quite careful about when I take it - I would never repeat another two week period! I do take it if I have a bad cough though as it allows me to get some sleep.
  10. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

there is a homemade drug called Korokodil which Russian addicts made when they couldn't get heroine and it's made with several codeine pills...