An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What exactly is this new drug called "molly" all about?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Nancy D., Feb 5, 2016.

1. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I keep hearing talk about this new drug called "molly" and how everyone is doing it. What in the world is it and why is everybody doing "it". Is this a new fad? Is this mostly college kids engaging in this substance abuse?
  2. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I don't know about this new drug called molly? Is it a substance derived from plants? Or is it a drug developed in a lab? Since I am sober and I don't have any drug addict around me, I don't know what is in rage these days.
  3. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

It's not a new drug by any means. Molly is slang for what is supposed to be MDMA (ecstasy) and, from what I've seen, is more often used to refer to MDMA in rock/powder form rather than pill form (beans). With that said, unless you have a test kit, you can never know for sure if what you have is actually MDMA or one of the many other substances sold as MDMA.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

It has been around for some time but it seems to be everywhere you look lately. There has been a lot of talk about it on the news and a lot of warnings. It is most common in the colleges it seems.
  5. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Regardless of what you call it it is still nasty stuff and ecstasy has killed people, so I think Molly would be the same. I think sometimes people give drugs a cutesy name to make it look like it is not harmful when instead it can be toxic to the body..and playing with it is not a smart thing to do.
    djdrug likes this.
  6. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

This ^ is exactly what I was going to say. Deaths via ecstasy are all too common. Unfortunately, drug dealers of ecstasy are only caught once someone dies, until then they are regarded as the coolest people on campus, which is insane. You don't know what you're getting anyways, so I would never try anything like that, even if everyone is doing it.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I have heard about it, and I'd not try it even if I was paid to do it! I never tried ecstasy when I was younger out o fear, because a guy I knew had a heart attack after taking some of that. That is when I told myself I would never try such a thing.
  8. DN02

DN02 Member

From what I heard, it's a toxic mix of unknown drugs. Most of them are central nervous system stimulants that cause euphoric highs. Scary! Like @Tremmie said, I wouldn't try it even if I was paid!
  9. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

To my understanding Molly was of form of ecstasy, but I'm not 100% positive. I do know that it's very in right now, and though a lot of high school students and college students are using it, that is in fact young artists and actors that have made the drug so popular.
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

As far as I'm concerned Molly is Ecstasy (MDMA), right? Anyway, it's been along for a long time and the slang dates back from the same time. I know that a lot of teenagers use Ecstasy, adults not so much.
  11. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

Wow guys this is a very dangerous drug. Seems like it just sneaks up on you real quick. I did not know it was like the drug ecstasy. That is a shame.
  12. Rob93FL

What do you mean by "sneaks up on you real quick"? Molly is ecstasy. It's no different than any other drug with multiple slang terms (pot is weed, L is Lucy).
  13. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

It's a pill that's probably worst than ecstasy. Really just another way to fry your brain and destroy your body. People have been using this for a while. Just like e-pills it might not get you right away but it will eventually.
  14. Rob93FL

What do you think is in molly if it's worse than ecstasy?
  15. kgord

kgord Community Champion

It is the same thing as far as I know, just a different name for it, like pot and heroin have several different names for the same thing..as does cocaine. I mean if there is a difference with molly, I have no clue what it is. Regardless of the name, it is dangerous..and if you take it you are potentially playing with your life.
  16. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

It's supposed to be Ecstasy... but often cut with who knows what? I did one at an all night party one time and I'm pretty sure it was some form of speed more than anything else, because I couldn't sleep for 2 days after. Not fun! :(
  17. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Molly is the street name for MDMA, also known as Ecstasy.
    Been around for a few decades now actually, it's one of these "club drugs."
    But looks like most of the community has already filled you in on that.
    Look not "everyone" is doing it. Very few people are doing it, don't believe the hype it's a terrible thing to do to your body.
    One lady in my church had a son that was hooked on that crap for a few years.
    It burnt his brain out, he can no longer feel emotions properly.
    He goes around all day in a funk because he can't get excited about anything, he also doesn't really get mad at anything. He has no motivation, the drug literally killed everything "human" about him.
    I pray for him often, he's cleaned up now and his mother swears the docs said if he stays clean he will eventually regain a normal life.
    Not worth a few fun nights out if you ask me.
  18. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

As far as I know, it has been around for a while and it's a slang term for Ecstasy, ( perhaps a variant .) As Jonny implied, I've seen it around in clubs as it's one of those "rave" drugs. It's obviously another one that is better to stay away from, as with any drug for that matter. This is proof that by just renaming a drug that already exists, you could fool some unlucky people into thinking they're getting a new drug that doesn't have harmful effects or something ridiculous along those lines.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  19. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I've never heard of this drug Molly so I did some research about it. As it turns out, it's ecstasy. And ecstasy has been around from quite some time.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  20. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Molly is indeed a street name for MDMA which is the main active ingredient of Ecstasy. However, real MDMA is extremely difficult to get hold of in recent times due to a massive seize a few years back. Suppliers are now using substances like PMA (Dr Death) and Mephedrone/M-Cat (Meow Meow) instead (or a combination of them) and are selling it as MDMA/Ectasy when it really isn't. The chemicals now being used instead of MDMA can potentially be much more dangerous than MDMA ever was.