An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What if I'm not comfortable with parts of the program or some people there?

Discussion in '12-Step Support Groups' started by stagsonline, Oct 28, 2014.

1. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I'm with xTinx on this one, you need to accept the fact that you're going to finish this 12-step so see the good things, and don't entertain the negatives.
  2. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

It's true that attending 12-step meetings can be awkward and uncomfortable. But it's worth the effort and you will eventually adjust and become more comfortable in attending them. Especially when you start seeing the positive results these are having on your recovery. Prayer also helps and I wouldn't dissuade anyone from doing so. But it's important to take action and go through the recovery process, nevertheless.
  3. Sarasmiles

Sarasmiles Member

I think the way you feel about the steps and serenity prayer is a completely normal feeling. It takes an entire mind and soul shift to participate effectively. I'm not religious but almost immediately I realized the meetings and the prayers have nothing to do with religion. It's structured more like the mindfulness of Buddhism (I think). It's just about being responsible for yourself, for your behavior, it doesn't mean there's any magical being in the sky controlling or granting wishes. The steps feel awkward because to me, it felt like I was baring my soul, my most private thoughts, yet that's how to heal. I'm sure you've heard the phrase "you're only as sick as your secrets." Once I got past that, I was able to start forgiving and really working on my sobriety. Best of luck to you! You've got this!
  4. Apollo545

Apollo545 Active Contributor

Take what you want out of the program. At the end of the day, the methods used are a means to condition you psychologically to be open and ready to combat your addiction. They do these things with the best intentions so I'd try to be understanding and look past the uncomfortable things.