An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What If There Is No Hope?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Mayoress, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Mayoress

Mayoress Active Contributor

We all know the recovery process from addiction is long, painful and frustrating. But at least there is the hope of freedom from addiction, the hope that someday everything will be alright.
    But, have you ever thought of that addict that might have no hope anymore? Is there a stage in addiction where all hope is considered gone?
  2. fergilicious

fergilicious Member

There are so many things in life that make you feel like there is no more hope.
    But how can anyone give up hope on something if he badly wants it?
    Sometimes, the desire to take those drugs struggle with the desire to be free of them. I think that sometimes it really depends on which desire is stronger. The desire to be free brings more determination. So which is stronger?
  3. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

Life can be frustrating and hopeless, but we all know there is always hope when we try so hard and at the point when we are ready to give up, it springs upon us and we can move forward.

There is definitely a stage in addiction where all hope is gone; for instance, an addict who keeps getting clean and going back to his addiction; he wakes up one day and just leaves his life into the hands of fate because he is frustrated with trying and failing; it is usually at this point that hope finds its way into his life.
    Lostboy8731 likes this.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The one mistake some people make is hope that once an addict hits "rock bottom" they'll have no option but to fight their addictions. There are some however who once they hit rock bottom and they realize that there's no way there'll get back all or even a fraction of what they've lost, they embrace their addiction and nothing [save for a miracle] will get them to change. So yes, it's quite possible that someone can get to a point where all hope is gone.

This is we should try to help addicts before they hit rock bottom. You don't know what will follow . . .
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I feel like everything in life comes in waves and I think sometimes we have all felt like maybe things won't get better. But I think a big part of the human spirit is that somewhere, deep down inside at times, we do have that notion of self preservation, of wanting to keep ourselves going. So I feel like we all have the ability to make things better. Easier said than done at times, but I truly believe there is always hope for a better day.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Of course there's a stage where an addict loses hope for recovery. That happens when they relapse, or when they don't even have the will to quit their addiction. Sad, but true. That's why a positive frame of mind and a solid support group can make a difference in the life of a recovering addict.
    Lostboy8731 likes this.
  7. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Well, the moment you give up, you lose. Its the same with everyone. Some people go bankrupt at 60 and recover their finances by 65. While others simply give up and go into depression. Its the same with addictions. People shouldn't give up because they are the ones giving themselves hope.
  8. hell2say

hell2say Member

Every coin has two sides. And every person has two mindsets that co-exist-the good and the bad. It's up to us which mindset we choose to live our life with.

Remember that old saying, 'God helps those who help themselves.' God never comes down and holds us by the hand to take us out of every adversity. God leaves it to us. God allows us to choose when we feel we want to get out of this misery. And when we do so, God sends us an angel. That angel can be anyone near or dear us. That angel will stand there to motivate us.

If an addict loses all hope to free himself from addiction, then he must realize that he's gone too down with that bad mindset. He must wake up and use the good mindset and try to find a way out. Then, God will send an angel. God always does that.
    djdrug likes this.
  9. djdrug

I like the above post. I would also like to add that the only person who can make you feel good or bad about yourself it you. Therefore, the only person who can fill you with hope or destroy your positivity is you and you alone.

Having said that, I would like to recommend a solution that worked for me in the past.

Read Dale Carnegie! You heard that right. His works are what helped me gain hope. I was young and highly distressed, and let's just say that Dale Carnegie pulled my life out of the wreckage of my own thoughts. Try it, it'll work.
    LuvHimSo, hell2say and deanokat like this.
  10. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I would never say all hope is gone. The truth is each person has to determine for themselves whether they can carry on or not. As long as someone is determined to never give up there's always hope. It depends on a individuals will to overcome an addiction.
  11. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

This is a very good question. I've never heard mention of a stage like this in any program or any kind of therapy for drug addiction.

My thoughts? There is always hope even in the deepest of pits when one is still alive. That hope may not be to overcome their addiction though but just to make it through another day. Hope dies when an individual dies.
    LuvHimSo and deanokat like this.
  12. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I think there is always hope and we should always remember that there are good and bad days. Today is a good day for me, but yesterday was a bad day for me and it was a stressful one. I wanted to drink, but i knew that if I got through it then I would see a better time and I am living it right now.
    LuvHimSo and MrsJones like this.
  13. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Hope is more of a decision than it is an actual situation - unless you're talking about something beyond your control like stage 4 cancer, leukemia and other degenerative diseases. Addiction, however, is not a disease. Although the drugs can affect your thought processes, when everyone does their best to help you and you do your best as well, then it's impossible to say there's no hope left.
    MrsJones likes this.
  14. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I can't speak from the position of being an addict but I have generally believed there is always hope. No matter how dire the situation, there exist hope.
    MrsJones likes this.
  15. hell2say

hell2say Member

Thank you for the appreciation mate. It's all about human psychology. If we want to quit an addiction, we need to do it on our own. We need to dig our own tunnel from the dark grave to somewhere above where the sun shines all over our body. And when we decide to do so, God really does send an angel to help us.

So, your angel was Dale Carnegie. He helped you through the books he wrote. What a man he was! I can never forget 'How to win friends and influence people'. The best book he's written so far. An inspiration.
    Winterybella likes this.
  16. djdrug

Yeah. The book that really helped me was How to Stop Worrying and Start Living. I bought this book much later. But, the book that I used was a dated old library edition at a public library.
    Winterybella likes this.
  17. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I have seen people in advanced stages of addiction which looks like they have reached a point of on return. They are not only dysfunctional but they have reached a stage of no return. They are in the throes of compulsive addiction or alcohol psychosis. They have to be saved from themselves.
    LuvHimSo likes this.
  18. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I haven't went through a formal recovery process but I guess that this is possible. When you're trying to change something about yourself there's always doubts and negative thoughts, and I think that the loosing hope is part of it, I think that is just matter of time when the person realizes that they need to work in order to stay with that hope and fight for their goals, as we all do in life.
  19. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

"Hope, deceitful as it is, serves at least to lead us to the end of our lives by an agreeable route. ~François VI de la Rochefoucault"
    If this is true I don't mind being deceived. There is always hope.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    LuvHimSo likes this.
  20. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I believe so. That is the part when you decide to quit. There is no situation, or happening. Just us. We choose everything in our lives and although it sounds like a cliché it is actually the truth. Life is hard for some people and it can get even harder but if you find the reason to go forward you will find in that reason the strength to move on and fight the addiction. It is not an easy process but it is doable. I always think about all those people who suffer greatly and realize that my minor love setbacks are just that, setbacks. I have no right to be weak and yet I am. I see everyday people in wheelchairs smiling and living a normal life so I get a grip and live the problems with the bottle. It is not always possible because I am a poet, a bohemian in my soul.
    LuvHimSo likes this.