An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What if tomorrow, cigarettes were $20 a pack?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by nm1180, Apr 7, 2015.

1. nm1180

nm1180 Member

Would you totally quit, or just smoke like 2 a day, and have a pack last 10 days?

I'd just quit. Even though I can make a pack last several days, I'd just be done with it.
  2. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I know it sounds pathetic, but I would probably continue to smoke. I might try to cut back a bit. Unfortunately I have tried everything to quit smoking and can't seem to nip it in the butt.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I'm on the e-cigs and rarely miss the real thing so I'd be OK. A price rise like that is enough to upt anybody off. Alternatively, ready-made cigarette smokers could make the switch to rolling tobacco. They were never quite satisfactory to me though.
  4. vi0let

vi0let Member

Where I live smokes are generally around $14 a pack anyway. Unfortunately, still smoking them. I would like to quit eventually, but I just really like the act of smoking. There is herbal smokes you can buy for dirt cheap around here though so I figure that when I finally do have motivation to quit I'll just gradually switch over and mix it up until I can gradually get myself entirely off nicotine.
    The e-cigs do seem like a great investment, though! I just always find it so weird when I see people casually strolling through shopping malls puffing on them.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think that people would still buy them but maybe just cut down. Either that or find another way to get them, import their own etc.

I know a lot of people who have said once they get to a certain price I'm going to quit, myself included and that price a come and gone and I'm still smoking.

Somehow people just find the money by cutting back on other non essentials or working extra hours to earn more.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I'd maybe smoke one a day at most. They increased prices of cigarettes here and it worked in helping me curb my habit since it was hitting me where it hurts instantly As opposed to in the long run. I think it's an effective method but at the same time a price that high might be too unfair to cigarette companies.
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

That's a good choice. People always make excuses. Either you smoke or you don't. Some people think they're capable of moderation only to end up severely addicted. It's better to just avoid smoking altogether than run the risk of addiction, the consequences of which will not only be costly but also emotionally draining.
  8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I had thought about this when I was still addicted. I think I would quit altoghether, I can't justify spending 20$ on a pack a day. It would account to 600$ a month to just fuel a stupid addiction.
    I could buy a phone monthly with that money.
  9. nm1180

nm1180 Member

14 bucks a pack? Wow. I keep hearing about cig prices going up, but you can still get a pack of Camels around here for 6 dollars or less.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Average price here in the UK is probably about £7. And while its not expensive as such, i tis xconsidering onlynamfew years ago you'd be pay in less than 5.

Something else I've noticed that companies do is put less in a packet. So instead of charging for example £9 for 20, you'll now pay £6.50 for 17.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

If that was tho happen, everyone would switch to vapor. Twenty bucks would be insane.
  12. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

Here in the Philippines, the price of cigarettes went up by around %50 and a lot of commentators said that it would help in discouraging the habit. Unfortunately, They didn't take into account that there are a lot of smuggled cigarettes as well as extremely cheap brands that are in the market. Here, cigarettes can be sold discretely to the point that each stick is sold by street vendors. Marlboro may cost a lot but certain unknown brands have definitely reaped the rewards of the price hike. I mean a pack of Camel or Palm Mall cost around the same as how much Marlboro was before. My friends, as well as the retailers, simply switched brands. Hopefully, other smokers here didn't just adapt to the taste of cheaper cigarettes and reduced their consumption.
  13. vi0let

vi0let Member

Yep! Even seeking out the cheapest stores, the lowest I've found is $12.44. I don't even smoke quality cigs either. Purchasing at a gas station or grocery stores you're bound to pay around $14 and that's for Next. So they're pretty cheap cigs generally.
  14. rightct

rightct Community Champion

You need to go to Australia to see how hard it is to live as a smoker. I was there before, and having to pay around $15 for a pack of Marlboro cigarettes was quite unpleasant indeed, but at the time I was simply addicted, so there were times when I simply couldn't control myself and entered withdrawal quite easily. I'm not lying by saying I spent $130 on cigarettes in just 1 week and a half time span. Luckily, I quit, and I couldn't be happier.
  15. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

There is no way you could quit it doing with that method. You will only end up wanting more and even look forward when you could get more! It's a gradual process and it's okay to take your time. The important thing is to first decide if you really want to and stick to it.
  16. cheeto

cheeto Member

If I wasn't ready to quit, I still wouldn't. I'd find ways to make more money or I'd spend less on groceries. I honestly think if cigarettes were twice as expensive I'd still smoke. As long as I wans't ready to quit
  17. Bluesman

Bluesman Member

It's not the answer to a tobacco problem. Making a pack cost 20$ would just create a niche in a market for cheap cigaretts. They would be manufactured or imported and sold illegaly. It's a road to nowhere. And even if there would be no black market people would still buy cigarettes. Pack of smokes in Poland went up around 50% in last few years but number of smokers is the same.
  18. Jericho Mercado

Jericho Mercado Active Contributor

Nicotine addiction is very powerful and a difficult drug to give up. It has been said to be harder to give up than heroin. I think price per pack would not make smokers quit, they would find creative ways to continue to finance the habit.

I know of a group of smokers that would contribute a set amount of money each payday into a work cigarette fund to offset the cost of smokes and to ensure that if anyone ran out of smokes at work there was always money to buy a pack. Eventually this money was used for quit smoking aids and medications which everyone benefited from. All quit smoking and as a group, ran a 3 km race to celebrate.
    Zyni likes this.
  19. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

That is great. What an interesting development. I bet it was easier to quit all together like that.

I'm not sure what I'd do if the prices went that high. They're ridiculously high now, and I swore I wouldn't pay so much for them before they got so high.
  20. AgentofC

AgentofC Member

It would be great news! Even though not all smokers would stop, it'll be a wake-up call to some. Let's just hope that practicality can overcome their addiction.