An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What if treatments don't work?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by LifeOrDeath, Nov 4, 2014.

1. StillFighting

StillFighting Member

Some people have to go through treatment multiple times before it "takes." I know of several people who have overcome drug and alcohol addictions, and there were one or two that I thought would never quit drinking. I think the thing that made the difference is when they really realized completely on their own that they had to quit for themselves. Like someone else pointed out, though, they won't be cured by going to treatment, which is something I didn't understand for a while. The treatment program helps them to get their lives back in control and to learn how to resist peer pressure, learn how to recognize and avoid triggers, and seek out a support system to keep them motivated and encouraged. A treatment program or rehab is just the beginning to a lifestyle of recovery, and resisting reverting back to the addiction. If a person goes to a treatment program and relapses afterwards, they need to understand that there is still hope. They just can't give up.
  2. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

Don't think that it wont work. He has to be ready and willing to do what it takes to make a change in his life. If he wants it to work, it will work. Addiction is all mind work. He can overcome and be successful.
  3. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

I think it is important that you realize that a person cannot be helped unless they want to be and that treatment should not make them miserable -- if they are really behind it. Not every treatment works for every person. Just be sure to let that person know that they are loved and they are supported-- but there are also consequences to the actions they commit while under the influence of alcohol.
  4. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

There is a theory called 'placebo effect.' I know that this is irrelevant but what I am trying to emphasize is that it is psychology, faith or belief that leads people to believe they can be cured. Treatments are procedures, normally, it is the person being treated who has the will power to make things happen.
  5. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

You have to stay the course. Treatment offers many different avenues and ultimately it has a lot to do with how resolved you are in wanting to accomplish your goal. If you truly want to get better either for yourself or a loved one then as long as you remain committed there is no need to worry.
  6. Aaron

Aaron Member

Hello all, I was having a conversation on Facebook, and my friend stated that he drank yesterday. In fact, he drank so much that he woke up with a wicked hangover. I gave him this forum url , but I think I'll look into an outpatient program for him. He asked me if this online forum was helping at all, and I stated that actually yes. But I told him that with anything it takes time.
  7. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

The truth is, we all fail at things from time to time. It's how we get back up and try again that makes a difference. Not to be blunt, but he you're looking for a solution that's not going to make him feel bad, or keep him happy, that's probably never going to happen. Something negative is going on, and self-reflection is needed, that is going to cause some good and bad feelings. Encourage him to try, and if it does not work, there are different ways and different approaches.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

You can try and find some alternative treatment solutions. For example, maybe if you are able to inspire him to join a marathon group then eventually he will find a better way to channel his energy or whatever it is that's bothering him. I guess not all people respond the same way to traditional means so sometimes you have to get creative.
  9. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I don't know why you sound skeptical and yet your friend hasn't given treatment an option? And besides, if you both don't believe in the treatment am afraid it won't be of much help.You have to encourage your friend to be positive about it as that is the best approach if really wants to benefit from the treatment.
  10. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

Not every treatment plan works for every person. Different methods of aid and treatment are available and sometimes it takes a bit of time and dedication to try and find what works for you best in your journey to sobriety.
    Nick W. likes this.
  11. kita

kita Member

There is always the possibility that the treatment wont work. It really depends on the individual, whether he or she really wants to quit. My mother's been an alcoholic for 27 years and we have tried everything. She constantly relapses. My advise to you is to support this person as much as you can, and if it all fails, find peace and know you have done everything you could to help.
  12. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I think the old saying of "it works if you work it" is very true. Not all treatment is made equal, but at the end of the day it's going to be about how the individual works the program, and how much they want it, and are willing to sacrifice for it.
  13. Vook

Vook Member

This 100%. If he/she is not willing to work toward being sober, they are just going to be miserable going through treatment. Withdrawal is not fun, it takes an incredible amount of willpower to overcome it. If they are not ready and willing to change, do not try to force them.
    Nick W. likes this.
  14. 6up

6up Community Champion

He does not need special drugs, all he needs is to set his mind for change. He can change if he is set to. One can also change by changing the environment and get new friends. He can look for a job if he had none. One can join a sports club so that he never gets held.
  15. juno

juno Community Champion

It is understandable to be afraid if failure and have a negative consequence. To mitigate this posdibility as much as possible, its important to find a treatment program with a high success rate that the person going in for it is highly comfortable with. The main thing is that he or she must be 100% in and commited.
  16. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I think it's really sad but there is still hope. You would have to influence them mentally and inwardly by surrounding them with people that are different, that have a different opinion than he has. Once he reaches the point of self doubt he will begin to sense it.
  17. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Good treatment will not only address the drinking but the reasons behind the drinking too. Therapy, in conjunction with withdrawal, is your friends best chance of getting and staying sober.
  18. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I think one of the first steps to adopt in order to help someone else is to maintain a positive outlook. If you are worried beforehand that something might not work, chances are that it will fail. Offering plenty of encouragement and showing faith in a positive and desirable outcome will help a lot to make the journey easier for everyone. I know when I gave up drinking, the constant reinforcement of positive words and thoughts from my partner immediately put me back on the straight and narrow when I was in danger of slipping.
  19. Domen

Domen Active Contributor

He can help himself the most. I'm sure his loved ones aren't okay with him being an alcohol addict. He needs someone that he values in his life to have an eye opening conversation with him. In my opinion if the treatment doesn't work the only other way I see is if something radical happens in his life. A radical, life changing event that reaches deep into his soul and rings the bells of change.
  20. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

It will only work if he wants it to. There are several kinds of treatment. Even aversion therapy wont work if he isnt ready to quit.