An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What if treatments don't work?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by LifeOrDeath, Nov 4, 2014.

1. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I want to add, there's always a way. I know I never had treatment but I did quit a certain addiction only one day in which something changed my heart and mind instantly. I believe it's a matter of time and inward change rather than outward treatment which might clean us from the outside. We need to be cleaned from the inside first if that makes sense.
  2. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I dont even think its the treatment. I think that people have to make up in their mind that they want change. I mean I know someone that has had treatments back and forth for years now and he still has the addiction. He has to make up in his own mind that he really wants change. I mean other people can want it but a person has to really want it for themself.
  3. mercshe

mercshe Member

Always convey an environment that is therapeutic for the client. As support people, we shouldn't be the first to think that any treatment is hopeless for that person. We are accountable to give support and acceptance to our relatives up to the moment of greatest despair. How can we do that if we, ourselves, are initially discouraged by the mode of treatment being given?Unless the patient felt it by himself/herself, we cannot conclude the result of treatment. It is better to hope for their recovery than to wallow in the thoughts of hopelessness.
  4. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

This has been a long-time-ago forum post (November 2014). I hope things worked well for your friend who is "thinking of rehab". And I hope he/she has move forward in that direction to heal and be clean. People with addiction must be in desperate condition to internalize and have deep understanding of his/her need to heal. They must be with accountability friend/counselor/partner who can help them every step of the way. The withdrawal symptoms are the most difficult to go through. Focus, determination and persistence leads to success. The need for the drug-free treatment with accountability partner is most advisable.
  5. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah I agree support the person. There are many different ways to kick addictions and habits. It's always, to each his own.