An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What is dual diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Dual-Diagnosis Treatment' started by sunflogun, Apr 22, 2015.

1. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

Many people might not know what dual diagnosis is. Basically a person with dual diagnosis has issues with both alcohol or drugs and emotional issues. It's case to say that to treat one the other needs to be addressed too. In what does the treatment differ from "just" being an addict though?
  2. jeremy2092

jeremy2092 Member

You have to work on both fronts at the same time. In my case, my bipolar can make me feel like I can drink. I have to stay on top of my medication and therapy so that I can work on my alcoholism. One can trigger the other.
  3. sunflogun

So basically we are talking about different "wills" inside of us right? But at the same time doesn't that happen to most of us? Some part of us know that drinking is bad, while other part just wants to drink.
  4. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Sometimes one can give rise to other and in turn other to other. It's a back to back situation and makes you fall into a vicious circle. For instance, a brain-numbing anxiety and alcoholism. You feel like drinking to ease nerves, but alcohol causes more anxiety. Professional help is a must in such situations and a regular lifestyle thereafter, leads you towards prognosis.
  5. sunflogun

That is why people relapse so much. As far as I'm concerned I think that we should record our progresses, write a journal or something like that, it can be a precious help to sticking with the positive perspective.
  6. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

I did not know if you were quoting me, but If you did, yes, recollecting positive thoughts is a great help. Someone in this very forum suggested journal maintenance and recollecting some of our accomplishments puts us in a high naturally. The recovery process gets simpler and easy.
    sunflogun likes this.
  7. sunflogun

That is why this community is so good, we get to share ideas and learn with each other, this way we create a positive energy inside us that motivate us in the right direction.
    JohnBeaulieu likes this.
  8. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

So just to clarify... My sister was diagnosed as bi polar with psychotic tendencies. She has her high highs and low lows. When she is at her worst she hears voices and cannot control her own thoughts. Would this be a dual diagnosis? (From what I know she hasn't been diagnosed with a drug or alcohol problem)
  9. sunflogun

Good question, but from what you wrote you say she is bipolar? I don't know what psychotic tendencies are, but if she had no issues with drugs or alcohol how could that happen?
  10. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

Good question? After her 1st stint in a psychiatric hospital due to a 51/50 hold that is what we were told she was "diagnosed" with. The psychotic tendencies I believe is what they classify the voices in her head or the crazy wacky thoughts she has. I do believe my sister does abuse prescription drugs but that is just my opinion.
  11. sunflogun

Good question when you ask if this is dual diagnosis, I really can't tell. Many times I do wonder how they classify people like that, how do they diagnose them and if alternative treatments wouldn't make them better.
  12. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

The reason I started drinking to begin with was because of issues stemming from bipolar and borderline personality disorder. When I started doing pills instead of drinking, again it was an attempt to self medicate because of the bipolar and borderline. I had to go get my mood disorders under control before I would be able to quit the pills. If I understand correctly, a dual diagnosis is where you have a mental disorder(s) AND a drinking or drug problem. Treating only one won't do any good. You HAVE to treat them both in order to get anywhere.
    Fight2Live9 likes this.