An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What is it about cocaine?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by Nancy D., Mar 14, 2016.

1. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I have so many friends that use cocaine weekly. They use it recreational from what I can tell, however who is to say they are not using it alone as well. If this is the case then I consider this to be an addiction. Why is cocaine so great that people flock to this drug?
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It's an upper. It makes you feel invincible and all of a sudden you have a lot of energy. I know a few people that can't adjust to life without it, and it's sad. It's like coffee. It picks you up when you don't have then energy to do anything in a normal state of mind.
    MsLucy likes this.
  3. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I just guess it is a rush of adrelaine, good feelings and all the good things that drugs do for you when you first start using. I think however, it is a rabbit hole that few people can escape from. I mean some people try it, don't like it, and don't use again, but I think you can easily get addicted to it.
  4. Geeka

Geeka Member

I have many friends who are into this as well. And they take it as regularly as your friends do too. It's considered as an upper drug and it works wonders if you're tired. I'm not sure if any of them take it all by themselves when they're all alone, but I do think a couple of them take a bit too much that they start to be dependent on it whenever they're out socializing.
  5. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

People flock to this substance because it makes them feel invincible. It places them in a comfort zone and blocks out all life's problems. But that's just temporary; when it becomes constant, it is already addiction and needs a professional to help you out.

It is not something to think of trying because it is easy to get in and difficult to get out. Some never come out though.
  6. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

It's fairly easy to get and it makes you feel like you are on top of the world. Everything else goes away while you're on that high and the only thing you care about it staying up like that.
  7. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Cocaine has always been portrayed as a "classy" drug which the upper classes and movers and shakers indulge in. Hollywood is partly to blame for this, as they've played their part in elevating the drug in people's eyes, especially the young and impressionable.
  8. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

Many people sometimes crave that extra adrenaline rush, they try the cocaine telling themselves that can control the use of the drug, therefore, they would not be addicted, they underestimate the potency of the substance and get caught in a situation which is very difficult to get out of. It is believed that methamphetamine is the only drug that creates a greater psychological dependence that cocaine.
    MsLucy likes this.
  9. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Had an ex-girlfriend say "it makes you feel like the sexiest person in the entire universe".

So...that may be part of the drug's appeal.
  10. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I don't get it but I know my husband use to use it on a regular basis. He was all hyped and happly for a short period of time but then when he was coming down from the high he was angry. He hasn't touched it in a while and he is a much better person.
  11. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Pеоplе tаkе drugs bесаusе thеy wаnt tо сhаngе sоmеthing аbоut thеir livеs.

Hеrе аrе sоmе оf thе rеаsоns yоung pеоplе hаvе givеn fоr tаking drugs:

Tо fit in

Tо еsсаpе оr rеlаx

Tо rеliеvе bоrеdоm

Tо sееm grоwn up

Tо rеbеl

Tо еxpеrimеnt

Thеy think drugs аrе а sоlutiоn. But еvеntuаlly, thе drugs bесоmе thе prоblеm.

Diffiсult аs it mаy bе tо fасе оnе’s prоblеms, thе соnsеquеnсеs оf drug usе аrе аlwаys wоrsе thаn thе prоblеm оnе is trying tо sоlvе with thеm. Thе rеаl аnswеr is tо gеt thе fасts аnd nоt tо tаkе drugs in thе first plасе.
  12. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I've never tried it myself, but I've always heard that it makes you feel like you are going to conquer the world. That's why the common joke about coke users is that you know they are on coke if they start rambling about starting up a new business or writing the next Oscar winning screenplay. I guess it just makes you feel like you can do anything.
  13. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

It can give you a lot of energy and it is highly addictive as well. Of course cocaine is one of the most dangerous drugs to use in quantities and many of my friends have died to the over use of cocaine which is sad. I would stay away from it at all costs if you want to live!
  14. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

These reasons are so very true. It is a shame that we use drugs to escape some of these things, most of the time are in our heads any one. Unfortunately if you are bored with life you do not have enough aspirations or goals.
  15. CarolinaV

CarolinaV Member

I have always had the same question. For some reason I think cocain is glamourized in the media, since it is portrayed as a "rich people's" drug. I have always wanted to try it myself when I was younger but I have always been scared of the additives that are mixed in it, so I never actually gave it a try.