An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What is it about prescription drugs?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Karl T., Aug 26, 2015.

1. Karl T.

Karl T. Member

I have a sister in law that seems to be hopelessly addicted to pills. Are all pills the same? I know that some are different then others, but in terms of pill like Oxycontin. The way this pill affects you is probably similar to many other pills that are probably listed in a category. I believe that one is synthetic heroine? If that is true then the effects should be similar to the real stuff and will likely make one "feel good." Other pills like Zanex are used to lift your mood, with a prescription of course. Which doesn't make it good, just legal. Then there are others like Percosets and Dilaudids. I really don't know anything about any of these. I've never used any and I can't really speak on them. I just notice the effects when someone uses them and how it affects their behavior and their lives. It seems to me that some people will use whatever they can get their hands on as long as that drug will have a desired affect. Usually downers and not uppers, unless they need to work. How do you get someone to just be themselves without the drugs?
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Mostly pain killers are the ones that get abused. I think the pain killers get over used because like narcotics they make you feel good and out of it. If somebody is using this stuff for a long enough time they may become dependent on it. I always prefer natural cures for this reason. I think looking for alternatives to prescription pain medicine is the only way to avoid using them at all.
  3. moreno58

moreno58 Active Contributor

I also have a friend that does anything she can to get a hold of pain pills. She always finds a reason to go to the ER for all kinds of different reasons trying to get pain killers. There are times she goes and they give her antibotics and pain pills and she only gets the pain pills which a day or two are gone. She has gone as far as going to the dentist to have her teeth pulled out to get pain pills. It is so frustrating!! It has been going on for over three years and it is a regular routine for her to be in ER or a dentist office sometimes more then six times a month. What can you do I don't know. I'm at my wits end.
  4. Rory

Rory Active Contributor

I'm lucky enough to have never had to take a large quantity of prescription pills before. I agree, it's hard to imagine someone getting hooked on something that seems so regular and tame. When I broke my leg as a kid, I took pain killers, and I didn't get any sort of high. Most people in America have some kind of pills in their medicine cabinet. So I think it's a very accessible addiction, if that makes sense.
  5. Ttirb

Ttirb Active Contributor

They are very easily accessible and if you find the right doctors they will write you a prescription for anything in my experience. I feel that many doctors do not care if a patient becomes addicted because then they know they can make money off of their visits every monthand the pharmaceutical companies on top of that. If you are prescribed a narcotic pain reliever you are supposed to be going to a pain management doctor also, which they in turn will know the steps to get you off of the pain medication. But a lot of people do not go to a pain management doctor for that very reason. When your primary doctor is the one writing your prescriptions why would you go see another one. Someone very close to me lost their battle to addiction because of this. After losing them it was found out that they were supposed to be seeing a pain management doctor and was never referred to one. That being said prescription drugs are commonly abused because of the accessibility to them.
  6. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I hope that doctors wise up to their patients who maybe at risk of becoming addicted. I remember watching a TV show years ago about a lady who was trying to fix up her home and fell from the ladder. She was prescribed pain killers and then became addicted. Before that incident, she was never addicted to pills before. I'd like to think that sometimes unexpected events in life can trigger pill addictions.
  7. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

Not that long ago I had to suffer through a kidney stone for about half a day, and the pain was so abrupt and so exquisitely bad that the painkillers I received at the hospital - when I eventually got there, which took a stupidly long and agonizing time - were like a godsend. I can't help but wonder if there's a correlation between that feeling of absolute relief from pain and the onset of addiction. Such a good thing couldn't possibly be bad, after all...
  8. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Painkillers are popular targets for abuse, but the truth is that prescription drugs have varying levels of addictiveness. Some drugs are relatively difficult to become addicted to, while others are prone to hooking people and causing addiction problems. For that reason, many scientists are trying to manufacture "less addictive" medications that have a lower potential for being abused.
  9. pogonotomy

pogonotomy Member

I'm not sure what makes prescription pain killers so appealing, to be honest. At least, they don't appeal to me. I had a prescription filled when I got all 4 wisdom teeth taken out, but instead of feeling "good" from the medication I felt drowsy and annoyed. Xanax is a medication that seems to be easily abused, but personally I haven't gotten addicted to it. I feel good when I take it and it does curb my anxiety, but I don't find myself needing it every day.
  10. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

Pills that are in the same class of drugs as each other are going to have similar effects, with a few exceptions like salvia. So in your case, oxycodone is going to have similar (but not identical) effects to morphine, codeine, hydrocodone, fentanyl, and nearly any other opioid/opiate that you can think of.
  11. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

It depends on the person but yes, they are incredibly addicting because they make you feel overly happy and good, etc. It's something that makes people feel like they can actually deal with life and like it gives them something they don't already have. It's sad that they are so addicting.
  12. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

Just like any other type of drug, once you get used to the high of prescriptions, it's hard to come down from that. You always want to feel that good again. They have a lot of appeal because they are easy to get (in a lot of cases), and people don't look down at you as much if you take pills in comparison to street drugs.

They make different people feel different ways, though. It's just one of those things.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Is there a reason behind her pill addiction? Sometimes people just take things or substances that they think that could make them feel better as their way to escape a problem. It could be just in the mind or there could be a health condition that keep a person take it as necessity.
  14. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Yеаrs оf rеsеаrсh hаvе shоwn thаt аddiсtiоn tо аny drug (illiсit оr prеsсribеd) is а brаin disеаsе thаt саn bе trеаtеd еffесtivеly. Trеаtmеnt must tаkе intо ассоunt thе typе оf drug usеd аnd thе nееds оf thе individuаl. Suссеssful trеаtmеnt mаy nееd tо inсоrpоrаtе sеvеrаl соmpоnеnts, inсluding dеtоxifiсаtiоn, соunsеling, аnd sоmеtimеs thе usе оf аddiсtiоn mеdiсаtiоns. Multiplе соursеs оf trеаtmеnt mаy bе nееdеd fоr thе pаtiеnt tо mаkе а full rесоvеry.
  15. Dank Dex

Dank Dex Member

FOR AMPHETAMINES (UPPERS); it's safer to take desoxyn oppose street methamphetamine. Methamphetamine from the street has trace amounts of iodine and phosphorus.. this is deadly. This is also why methamphetamine has such a demonic face.. Not to mention, street meth hasn't a true dose. No user knows how much they're really getting. So with it being a poison outside the molecular structure of pure meth, people take doses that affect the brain in neurotoxic manners.. Not saying you can't be addicted to pills, nor it be dangerious. Most individuals scripted to these substances tend to get a little 'honey moon' like with these pills. If dosing within direction, the dependence liability is rather low, and withdrawals don't last for over a week (This is strictly for Amphetamines). Also if dosing within 60 mgs a day there's little to no neurotoxicity in most patients. But if you're pill popping and having fun, you're generally dosing more than what's advised as a max dose by the FDA haha. So there is brain damage. Also not to mention to which environment and self setting that is.. it's unhealthy to a consciousness. Compresses it.

FOR OPIATES (DOWNERS): I'll try to keep this short and simple, but there's always so much info. Just don't. It's a pain killer and never given approval for use longer than 3 weeks after procedures. It's the last thing resorted to in chronic pain patients. What is oxycontin? Oxycontin, is a semi synthetic opiate, deriving from morphine. It bares a very similar structure to heroin. It was made to replace heroin. 100%. It's effects are exactly like heroin, and when comparing the two, gram for gram they're the same potency. Oxycontin is government dope. :p Both should be avoided, but she's safer just on the prescription uppers. Also, if you can get to her regarding it, just suggests she doesn't dose more than 60mgs a day, and to have a day off once a week at least. This is generally safe. A doctor would advise you to do such. (We're speaking physically safe, every individual is psychologically affected differently. I can personally say most cases of amphetamine users of prescription pills couldn't be differentiated between those who are clean living, even for periods up to 7 years.)

btw for dilaudid (hydromorphine), I won't get into that.. it was made to be 14 times stronger than pure heroin gram for gram.. why's that even necessary?..even in therapy...just why? my best friend ODed and died from it. That's all..
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  16. SCSullivan

SCSullivan Member

I have a medical condition which requires me to take opiates on a daily basis. They allow me to have some quality of life which I otherwise would not have. However, I take slow release patches which I change every three days. I do not get any kind of 'high' from them, they just allow me to carry on the best I can. I can't help feeling that if this kind of opiate was prescribed more often, instead of tablets that caused instant relief, and thus an instant 'hit' a lot less people would become addicted. Because of the delivery method, it also rules out misuse of the opioid - it cannot be used any other way. Maybe it's time the medical profession looked at the type of opiates they give out instead of the quantity. While they are, as a whole, misused by many people, for others they are necessary and a lifeline.
  17. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I don't know how people are getting all of these pills. When I want to get some pills for allergies I have to jump through hoops just to get an appointment with my doctor. Regardless, I really hope that your sister gets the help that she needs.
  18. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

many persons become attached to these pills after having used them for a period of time, especially painkillers. The ease from pain and suffering, sometimes constant excruciating pain, that these pills may bring to the users might cause them to view the drug as somewhat of a trusted and reliable friend that they can't do without, and they may even want to overindulge in the usage of the drug. Having having achieved this form of a comfort zone from the usage of the drug they become very reliant on it and develop an addiction problem.