An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What is it about the alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Winterybella, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

The person who lights up tells you they are transported to a place of peace and a higher level of thinking. They are in the clouds. Some I have spoken to have suggested that the environment, stress or the anxieties of life have been the triggers for their addiction

I have long wondered what really gets a alcoholic ticking and were exactly the pleasure comes from.
  2. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

I honestly think that it is the emotional numbness and the idea of losing your inhibitions that gets people. But not everyone reacts to alcohol like that - usually the people who drink to get away from their problems - end up only being able to think about them when they are drinking.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have also asked that several times especially when some are forcing me to drink since I do not consume alcoholic drinks even they are drinking in front of me. I have tasted it and I do not like it so, why force myself just to please them or be in trend.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Alcohol makes people feel happy. It triggers the release of endorphines [the happy hormone]. That's why someone who is depressed or stressed can temporarily forget their problems and "enjoy" themselves. I suppose it's this false feeling of happiness and shedding of inhibitions that makes many people embrace alcohol and never are willing to let go [easily].
  5. 23arrow23

23arrow23 Member

I think that we should not forget that alcohol is the widely accepted drug in our society today and that it acts as a social lubricant. It gets the conversations going and makes everyone come out of their shell. It is also widely used to "take the edge off" and due to our fast and fancy lifestyles, this tends to happen a lot. Apart from all that, it makes you feel great and it lets you switch off your brain for a while and escape from reality.
  6. Winterybella

Clearly the happy outweighs the silly and I mean this in the nicest way. I have nothing but love and respect for people but I have seen alcohol make the coolest, most respectable person do things that they are ashamed of when they are through. For me I if look silly doing something once or twice I am not going back. At least not for others to see. It's amazing how the mind works.

I do understand what everyone is saying. I just don't see the logic but I guess it's not about that. Again, I have nothing but love for anyone who's dealing with the addiction. I saw a thread asking why drinking is not illegal. Interesting topic I think.
  7. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

There's a lot of factors that can be mentioned as attributing to the reasons why people enjoy or ingest ethanol related beverages. Most do it to relax and numb their senses, others do it for celebrations or rituals, some do it to forget their thinking, and a bunch of other reasons. Possibly, genetics from a humans' "racial memories" does have influence on a humans' willingness or susceptibility to drink ethanol beverages.
  8. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

If someone is under a lot of stress, suffering from depression, etc... and have a lot of thoughts, fears and worries swirling through their head 24/7, the alcohol tames this to some extent. It tunes out a lot of subconscious anxiety and fears, and lets you enjoy the moment, at least for some window of time.

I like to listen to music, and read stuff like cooking websites and recipe sites, read about internet marketing and web development, when I am drinking, particularly when I'm drinking by myself. That in combination with the booze takes my mind off other things I know I have to take care of, or even things that are stressing me out that I have no control of and have to put up with on a daily basis.

Alcohol helps spur some of my creative process as well when I am working on designs for layouts or logo ideas.
  9. Winterybella

Alcohol helps spur some of my creative process as well when I am working on designs for layouts or logo ideas.[/QUOTE]

OhioTom76, I am waiting for a logo from someone on Fiverr and I suspect I am going to have to send the person a bottle to get their creatives juices because we just are not getting it right:). I guess it's a case of getting what you pay for.

Back to the alcohol. I really get that life can send you to the bottle. I think I see that daily as a stress reliever in the case of someone very close to me. It's when it gets loud and wild and shameful and worse still when it threatens the lives of others like drunk driving that I really worry. Every thing in moderation is my advice, but I also know you have to walk in a person's shoes sometimes to understand what makes them one thing or the other. Life!
  10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

For me drinking was a way to escape from the stress and pressures in life. I was a solitude type of person. I kept to myself and the only way I could talk to people and open up, was to have a few drinks. Getting drunk was the only time I could express myself. Being sober I kept everything in. Alcohol was an outlet for me.
  11. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

I would say emotional stress. That usually is the main key for drinking.
  12. Winterybella

I have heard that's it's been used as a coping mechanism. The sad part that I have witnessed is when a person loses complete control of their senses and do and SAY things they regret after. I have often heard you don't tell a person who drinks your secrets.
  13. Waynefire

Waynefire Member

I have heard, like Winterybella, that this is a coping mechanism. I know people who have fought this before, but lost the battle. Then again, they were trying to drink away their problems by hitting the bottle.
  14. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon, it is good to relax in moderation as drinking too much can cause people to rely on it and run from the problems instead of fixing them. I have drank alcohol at times when I was stressed not real good as I did end up drinking more than usual which is not good. I think the taste can, be nice and sometimes relaxing and also nice to have in the mouth and want more.
  15. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Most people like drinking alcohol for its effects rather than for its taste. When you drink a considerable amount of alcohol, you feel lightheaded, it gives you the feelings of relaxation and cheerfulness. Therefore, it gives you pleasure.
  16. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Drinking is a very social thing to do. In fact, drinking 'socially' is a way someone can avoid noticing they have an addiction. It's a social lubricant. Someone who is perhaps a wallflower in social situations sober seems to open up with drinking. You may feel a little more free to express yourself.
  17. kate23

kate23 Member

Yeah, most people use alcohol for the effect. To escape from the world or to help them deal with social situations. I can understand that - it must be nice to drink socially and come out of your shell (not something I would do though). But there are better ways to cope than by drinking alcohol. I think a lot of people just turn to it because they don't know of any other coping mechanisms or they accidentally become reliant on it without even realizing that they are.