New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What is it like to live in a sober living home?

Discussion in 'Sober Living Homes' started by springbreeze, Nov 2, 2014.

1. springbreeze

springbreeze Active Contributor

I'm researching this recovery option for my uncle. So, I'd love to hear anything anyone has to say about this. What it is like living there? Is it really helpful? Stuff like that...
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

3. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

Jen S. likes this.
  4. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

He's lucky to have someone in his corner, @Davienna
    I hope you realize even if he never agrees to get help, it's not your fault.
  5. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

I am in your exact same position trying to look for a sober living home for my uncle too so thanks for all of your's information and help! The link you posted was really informative and will hopefully help us in making the decision.
  6. kfontroy

kfontroy Active Contributor

7. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Active Contributor

A sober home does alway mean a better home. Although for the most part I would say a sober home is better. I grew up in a half sober home, but addiction comes in many forms and drugs are just one form.
  8. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

Thanks for the article, Jen! It was very enlightening. It's amazing how many programs are out there for the addicted. I am optimistic that we can only get better from here.
  9. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

I think that it is a nice program, but I don't agree with all of it. I have been homeless. The article states if you break the rules you can be evicted without notice. What if I was to commit a minor infarction and find later I have nowhere to live? That would be an easy road back to my addiction. This doesn't sound like a secure place to beat addiction.
  10. kfontroy

kfontroy Active Contributor

this is a very good point.
  11. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

A sober living home can have immense benefits to persons who are engaged to drug problems and to those trying to live a normal life.It's always helpful to have an immediate family member who can guide and mentor you whenever you need someone to talk to on a daily basis and whom you can confide in on a personal level.
  12. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

Good point about being evicted without notice, cant see where that would be helpful in any way. My son was kicked out of a sober home, he had a place to go, but not everyone may have anywhere other than the streets to go if evicted.
  13. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

The people that I have known that went to places like this really had no choice. They either went by their free will, since they hit rock bottom, or family kicked them out, and they had nowhere to go. Many people with dependencies live on the street. The stress of worrying about breaking the rules and being homeless again might overtake the focus on getting sober and staying clean.
  14. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

I have known a couple of people who have ended up in places like that. In most situations, it has help them. However, like others have stated, they tend to have very strict rules (Ex. Eviction without notice). In my opinion, anyone going to a sober living home should do so on their own terms!
  15. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

A sober home is a disciplined home. When children do not see their parents drinking or there is no alcohol at all in there, then they will imitate their parents' leaning to non-alcoholism. Besides, their is no addiction when there is no source.
  16. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

That's a good point! Alcoholism always has a source/supply. Cut off the supply, defeat the addiction.
  17. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

That's a good point! Alcoholism always has a source/supply. Cut off the supply, defeat the addiction

Hmmm.. maybe its a good point in theory but if someone wants to find a source they will.
  18. Aaron

Aaron Member

I've always felt a bit apprehensive living in a sober environment. This is due to me having fallen off the wagon a few times on my road to recovery. I think it's the guilt of not being strong enough to uphold the rules, as well as the inconvenience of possibly being kicked out of that environment. I just wouldn't want to let my peers down. If your uncle is still considering this type of move, I would strongly suggest that he considers these aspects also.
  19. juno

juno Community Champion

Sober Living Homes are for people who have completed a rehab program and need a little support before they are on their own. The programs are very strict with rules to follow, like doing chores. There is an organization called Sober Living Network that you may want to look into.
  20. pintbean

pintbean Active Contributor

I am happy to have read that article posted up, I had no idea how these sober homes either. I wonder if people have the chance to check out the atmosphere in one before jumping in completely and moving in. I would hate for someone to find themselves in a situation they didn't expect.