An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What is more dangerous for you, cigarettes, marijuana or fast food?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by bisearoet, Jun 12, 2015.

1. bisearoet

bisearoet Member

Everyone loves to say how "dangerous" all three of these are. So in your opinion, which would you say is the most dangerous.

Personally, I don't find marijuana "dangerous" at all but some people do so I added it to the list.
    Rory and kjonesm1 like this.
  2. seatones

seatones Member

Marijuana by itself isn't all that dangerous, but there are situations where it can be. Behind the wheel of a vehicle, operating heavy equipment, etc. I know for a lot of people marijuana can increase the tendency to eat junk food like fast food, so I guess there's the danger there. I'd say anyone that smokes cigarettes is putting themselves at risk the same way anyone who eats fast food is putting themselves at risk. There's no way to do either in a healthy way, and they both have long-term effects on the body if done frequently.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Marijuana is illegal here so, it is the most dangerous for me. The cigarette is also very dangerous too since it is legal and a lot can just get addicted to it and can cause illnesses. Fast foods is the less dangerous for me cause you can eat it sometimes and you can still be fine.
  4. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

Well Fast food and cigarettes would be about equal, except people usually smoke cigarettes all day long and only eat fast food once a day at most. So, i guess whichever you die from first - clogged arteries or lung cancer - is most dangerous for each individual person. I don't think marijuana should be in this category. Yes, it can be dangerous if people act reckless (driving while high, swimming while high, etc.) But for the people that just sit at home on their couch all day getting high, i don't think it is nearly as dangerous as fast food or cigarettes. Yes, it can cause damage to the lungs - i mean, your putting smoke in there, you can't say that it's harmless. But, i personally have never heard of anyone getting lung cancer from smoking marijuana alone, without cigarettes. Fast food and Cigarettes will definitely kill you faster that marijuana.
  5. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I say fast-food because obesity and obesity related illnesses are the number one cause of death in the United States. We have the highest obesity rates ever right now and I wouldn't be surprised if they were the highest in the world. Cigarettes are bad, but there are more fat people than smokers.
  6. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

Fast food...cigarettes slowly kill u but marijuana is actually good on some level since it's been prOven to help in the medical field. Fast food on the othrr hand makes u fat and can give u a heart attack at any moment it doesn't take years like cigarettes
  7. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

Most dangerous cigarettes, secondly fast food, third fast food.

Cigarettes are addictive, and they have so many negative effects that you'd be here listing them all day, and I think there's no option that's be the most harmful. Fast food just makes you have more and more cravings, and obesity is hard to fight off. And marijuana isn't addictive, it can harm your body, but not nearly as much as cigarettes.
  8. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

All of them have the potential to do you great harm. That's the best way I can respond to that question without writing a 'will'.

I came back to ask why people are still saying that Marijuana is harmless?
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  9. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

1 would be cigarettes, #2 would be fast food, & #3 would be marijuana, but there are tons of other things that are much more harmful than marijuana like Coca Cola or Pepsi or any other type of drink that has a lot of sugar in it, or alcohol for instance, so yeah Marijuana shouldn't even be on your list of dangerous things that listed on your question.
  10. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

Weed isn't even dangerous. That's just generations of governmental propoganda talking right there. Out of the other two though, I'd go with cigarettes first and fast food second. At least even at its unhealthiest level, fast food as SOME nutritional value. Cigarettes do 100% NOTHING BUT hurt you.
  11. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Cigarettes and fast food are in a vastly different league of danger from marijuana. The latter can be harmful if you use it recklessly/seriously overdo it, so there is a slight element of danger, but the chances of that are somewhat more remote than with the former two. And between cigarettes and fast food I’d say cigarettes are worse because the smoke can affect others. At least with fast food, you’re only doing it to yourself.
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It depends on how much you consume each of them. I would say, marijuana is not dangerous to your health since there are actually researches about it being medicinal. But it could make you a bit delusional and could trigger you to do something bad. On the other hand, excessive smoking could harm your lungs which could result to cancer. Eating fast food so much could cause you to have heart problems.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Of the three mentioned, I'd have to say that cigarettes are probably the most dangerous. Fast food and marijuana in moderation aren't particularly dangerous but the health issues connected witch cigarettes is all too apparent.

They're also the most addictive of the the three aswell. Many people can choose to stop eating fast food and smoking marijuana but cigarettes are a lot harder to quit.
  14. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

I personally do not think that food in itself is dangerous. What I do agree on is that an overdose or eating excess food is dangerous and damaging to your health. Anything that's going to go down into my lungs in the form of smoke can do them damage. Therefore, I would think that cigarette smoking and marijuana smoking are more dangerous than eating excessively.
  15. CrowdedHighways

CrowdedHighways Active Contributor

Heart diseases and cancer are the leading causes of death in the USA, and lung cancer is the most common type of cancer, so I would say that fast food and cigarettes share the first place. Marijuana can impair thinking, so it might be dangerous in certain situations, but I don't think that it can cause death by itself.
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Cigarettes, then junk food and then marijuana. I don't consider marijuana that dangerous to be honest, if that was the case they'd not be using it so much in the medical field. I think junk food does more damages to us long term compared to Marijuana can still cause respiratory issues just like cigarettes... the only difference is that you don't end up inhaling a ton of chemicals with each joint... just like you do with cigarettes.
  17. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

All are bad but cigarettes and marijuana certainly are worse. So of the two which one is worse? According to the results of one study, smoking one marijuana join is equivalent to 3 to 5 cigars in terms of damage done to lungs. I suppose that makes marijuana the worse of the two. Add to that the fact that it [marijuana] can cause psychosis . . .
  18. mooray

mooray Active Contributor

I would pick cigarettes. If you eat fast foods and exercise, at least you will have a fighting chance but if you are a chain smoker and exercise, I don't think that will prevent lung cancer in the long term. I do think the side effects of marijuana are over-rated but that is my opinion.
  19. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think cigarettes are the most dangerous among the 3, because it's effect on the lungs and throat can be really devastating. Marijuana doesn't cause that, and fast food will usually just make you obese.
  20. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

To be honest, I would have to say that fast food is probably the most damaging out of the three, although it's not really considered to be a drug or to be addictive. However, I know people that have used tobacco and marijuana daily for over twenty years successfully. I also know people who nearly died from eating McDonalds every day for three months. I suppose that because it's food it's simply considered to be a form of nutrition, even though it can cause problems after a very short period of time.