An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What is more dangerous for you, cigarettes, marijuana or fast food?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by bisearoet, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

That would be fast food for me. The food is already done and it means less dishes to wash. Besides, being broke definitely helps curb the fast food urges anyway! :) Time to get off my soap box, I've got dishes to clean.
  2. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I think fast food is the most dangerous! We have an epidemic of obesity and diabetes in the world today. I think in women's clothing a size 12 or 14 is considered the new average size. People are dying from heart problems brought on by excessive weight and clogged arteries a lot more than they are dying from marijuana use! I'd say cigarette use is the second most dangerous due to the lung cancer it causes. Marijuana is pretty mild.
  3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I think all of them are dangerous... or none of them!

It depends on how the person use or abuse of each of these. Marijuana in excess may not produce killing effects, but also as pleasant as when it could be used with moderation.

Fast food is never healthy, but never a killer by itself and it's not the same eating an order of fat-rich French fries than an order of sushi, hence again the dangerous factor is in the type of food and the amount and frequency of the intake, which is what may lead to obesity and diabetes.

Finally, smoking cigarettes, if occasionally, might not cause any health harm but... wait a minute... nicotine in cigarettes is highly addictive so it's likely to have people smoking cigarettes on a regular basis and this is really a major health problem that may lead to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, emphysema and cancer.

So the winner as the most dangerous is smoking cigarettes or any other tobacco product.
  4. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I would say that if you overdo any kind of substance, you will suffer from the consequences. If you smoke like a chimney, get drunk every weekend and consume a lot of marijuana, you will obviously start to experience some health problems sooner or later. If you drink Cola every day, eat fatty, processed foods and don't exercise much, you will get the same, or similar, effect. So, for me it's all the same.
  5. jbepp

jbepp Active Contributor

I personally think that fast food is the worse. Both cigarettes and fast food are awful for your body, but with fast food you don't really "feel" how bad it is until you're either overweight or hate a heart attack. Fast food slowly kills your body and you don't even realize what's going on until it's too late. Cigarettes are bad but at least you fell your lungs burning and you notice how the symptoms begin to show up. Marijuana can't really compare to the other two.
  6. hoverman

hoverman Active Contributor

Cigarettes are really good for nothing. There is ultimately no point in smoking in my opinion, as everything their proponents claim can clearly be achieved without smoking. There are other ways for relaxation, socialization, and enjoyment without destroying the smell, taste and lungs of yourself and everyone surrounding yourself.

Fast food, while unhealthy, can have your body weather its effect with some exercise and moderation of consumption. While there are positive and negative effects with THC, at least people have judgment to enjoy something without impacting so significantly on surrounding people like smoking does.
  7. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

In my opinion I think that cigarettes are the most dangerous of those three. Yes, is true that marihuana mess up with your brain, but I guess that is not that addictive as cigarettes. Fast food is terrible for your digestive system, but if you know how and when consume it, is not a big deal. But in my opinion garettes are a little bit more difficult to quit, without mention all the damages that they can cause to your body.
  8. Rory

Rory Active Contributor

Cigarettes by far. Marijuana and fast food are fine in moderation. Cigarettes are literally poison.
  9. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I would say cigarettes and fast food as equally as bad for you, depending on how much you use it. Fast food once in a while is not going to kill you but some people eat it every day, a couple of times a day and then yes it is very dangerous for you heart and digestive system. It is best to avoid all three if you can! But then again there are so many other things out there at are bad for you yet people use them every day.
  10. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

To me cigaretess are the worst one because they cause a heavy addiction that you can barely stop it. The weed it's even used for some medial cases so I wouldn't feel like consider it dangerous while fast food are dangerous for fat persons.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I think as a whole, Nicotine is the worst of the three, globally. The negatives out weigh any positive you can conjure up with smoking. It kills so many people it is staggering. If anything that should be banned from the world as we know it. I never heard of a doctor prescribing cigarettes for ailments, as opposed to Marijuana.
  12. Whiskers

Whiskers Active Contributor

I would say anything taken in excess can be dangerous to a person. There is a price to pay if one becomes addicted to any of the substances including fast food. Let's just say, one needs to watch anything they consumme lest it becomes an addiction.
  13. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

They actually did once! Check these out...

asthma cig.png

Let's be thankful that medicine has moved on a great deal since then!

14. Hyperion

Hyperion Active Contributor

It depends on what fast food you are eating. There are plenty of fine dining restaurants that have a huge amount of fat and calories in them. Although, if you are really interested in why people get fat, I would check out Gary Taubes book, Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It.
    I would say that cigs are probably worse than weed only because of the added chemicals, although inhaling smoke is never good for you.
  15. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

Cigarettes are the most dangerous. They have the best chance of killing you, statistically. Fast food, if eaten in moderation, isn't too dangerous. And no one dies from a weed overdose.
  16. Mzpeaceful1

Mzpeaceful1 Active Contributor

I would have to say cigarettes are the worst on the list. Breathing in toxic deadly smoke is just nasty. Fast food places are not great but they are offering more healthy alternatives so we do have more choices when on the go. It's not the best way to eat by any means but if you have some self control you can make some ok choices. I don't feel that marijuana is that big of an issue unless it becomes a problem like anything else can in your life.
  17. CharlesClark

CharlesClark Member

Not all fast food is bad, I had some great food in food trucks when I was in NY.
  18. TimPeake

TimPeake Member

What, I don't agree on everything. I think the most dangerous thing on this list is cigarettes, because they destroy your lungs and the lungs of those around you. My father died of lung cancer... On the second place in this list, I would put marijuana, because some people do not know the measure and become completely dependent on it. Greasy food is also dangerous, but you don't have to eat greasy food. Fast food can be eaten, but only in moderation. That is, anything you overdo will do you harm. I sometimes buy food at street food truck, but it doesn't happen every day.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021