An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What is really the limif?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by FuZyOn, Mar 23, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

When I used to drink a lot I was chugging shots one by one. I got clean a long time ago but sometimes I go out drinking.
    I don't get myself wasted anymore, but I think that a little alcohol from time to time isn't gonna hurt, especially since I know I'm not going to fall back into addiction.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think everybody will have different limits when it comes to alcohol. While some people can drink ove 10 pints of strong lager, others can probably have 2. Some people can drink spirits and some people cant, its all down to the individual person.
    This also apllies I feel to the adiction side of things aswell, while some peopl who get clean wont drink ever again because they trust theirselves not to go too far, others CAN drink in moderation.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I myself am not a believer that complete sobriety is the ultimate and only way of battling addiction. I believe that depending on the person, it is a behavior that can be corrected into a habit that's more moderate and responsible rather than just completely being done away with. This way you get to enjoy life in a way that you find fulfilling without having to fall back into addiction. I do realize that not everyone can do it though, and that is totally understandable, but that's just my personal opinion on it.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think that occasional drinking and not letting oneself be drunk is moderate drinking. Better to really have or set limits and know when to stop drinking. Limit can differ per person.
  5. Pinoy Jade

Pinoy Jade Active Contributor

I guess the limit is when we cant control the thinking capacity of our brain. We have this control if we are drunk but we cant take it into action. Some of us may even go hyper and have a better thinking capacity. Once we cannot walk straight, that is the time for us to stop and thats our limit. We need sleep now to eliminate the alcohol we have took.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It's easy to convince yourself that you are in control but alcohol has a way of clouding the mind. What might have been a beer or two could end up being something entirely different. You'll drink more than you intended to. The next morning you'll despise yourself for being so weak Should you repeat that a couple times you'd be well on your way to getting addicted once again.

Never overestimate your control over a substance you were once addicted to.
  7. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I second you on that, once you know your limit or know how to control yourself, I doubt there is anything wrong with drinking once in a while.
  8. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Nowadays we can see people drinking alcohol in different ways. There are those who do not drink alcohol but happened to drink only by chance..like for example they are just being invited and cannot turn down the invitation. While there are those who drinks alcohol making it a habit everyday and there is no limit controlling themselves to drink. Whatever it maybe just remember that it is just right to drink moderately occasionally and to know your limits and how to control yourself in order to be safe.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

The "limit" is whatever you set it at. Sometimes 1 drink the whole night is enough to be social. Others tend to go by how they feel or by a certain time. I know if I start feeling a buzz, it's time to drink a glass of water, and start looking at the clock to make an exit. So it's really up to you where the limit is. You just need to ask yourself is there something you need to do the next day or in a few hours that's not getting drunk over.
  10. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

I think it's probably a bad idea to continue drinking at all. If you had an addiction, then you should simply stay away from it, because it likely caused you and your loved ones a lot of pain. It's difficult to understand how you once were an addict, but now have enough self-control not to go over board again. That is probably the craziest part.

I stopped smoking Marijuana last August, but I know once I hang out with my old friends, then I'm at risk of smoking again.