An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What is Spice?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by karmaskeeper, Nov 10, 2014.

1. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I have to admit I don't know a lot about street drugs. I have some knowledge of the more common types like meth or crack. I have never personally did any street drugs, but have had them offered to me. My question is what is Spice? I have heard that name when it comes to street drugs is it just another name for the more common ones.
  2. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Well, I simply Google this [dunno why you didn't do this], and Spice is merely a synthetic marijuana [whatever that means] mix with a bunch of other psychoactive plants; not natural and opinion by some not for human consumption. An excerpt from www.drugabuse.gov:

"Spice abusers who have been taken to Poison Control Centers report symptoms that include rapid heart rate, vomiting, agitation, confusion, and hallucinations. Spice can also raise blood pressure and cause reduced blood supply to the heart (myocardial ischemia), and in a few cases it has been associated with heart attacks. Regular users may experience withdrawal and addiction symptoms."

I wouldn't try this drug, nope.
  3. karmaskeeper

I figured I would hear from someone on here that has had first hand experience with it. That would give me a better understanding of what it is, and how it has either affected them or someone they know. I could have searched it, but I wanted the other members personal experience if they had any. Sorry if I put you out, sounds like another nasty habit to me.
  4. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I started using Spice, prior to MJ usage. It offers a similar experience, and for awhile there it was considered "legal" and sold in smoke shops here in Arizona. One of the many problems with it is that the dosage, and chemical compounds used were not regulated in anyway, and often even produced by $8.00 an hour employees. Now, I can't speak about withdrawal, or true addiction, I never really felt compelled to buy some when I didn't have the money, but it has habit forming for sure, and certainly not good for you. I noticed that when I stopped smoking it, and unfortunately switched to MJ, that many of the gastro issues I was having cleared up almost instantly. It was also killer on the teeth, and I know people who had many teeth replaced while using this drug.
    karmaskeeper likes this.
  5. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Nasty Stuff I have a lot of experience on the seller side. There is no way to really tell what you are getting. You can have too much in one bag and too little in another. While I don't advocate usage at all, if you must smoke stay away from this product and use the real thing.
    karmaskeeper likes this.
  6. karmaskeeper

Thank you Nick W. and jdroc for posted your personal knowledge of spice with me. That is what I was actually looking for. It gives a person my insight into the subject. When it is coming from someone who has had first hand experience with it.
    Nick W. likes this.
  7. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

You're welcome.
  8. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Spice is also known as K-2 and is synthetic (i.e. fake) marijuana which is currently legal in the UK. It's basically just plant matter sprayed with (dangerous) aerosols to make it smell and taste like marijuana and to give it the same effect. Spice is much more dangerous than real marijuana and causes a lot of damage to the health very quickly and there are also severe withdrawal symptoms.
  9. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

In had some friends who tried it when they didnt have any pot. It took the edge off a little bit, but not enough for the price.
  10. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Anyone who is thinking of trying this stuff, or any other legal high available in the UK for that matter, should perhaps take note of this news article: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nine-children-rushed-hospital-after-5912907

To summarize, nine school pupils from a school in South Wales were taken to hospital after consuming legal highs. One fourteen year old girl, five thirteen year old girls, two twelve year old girls and an eleven year old boy. The UK government have introduced new legislation recently in an attempt to tackle this issue. According to the new legislation, it will be illegal to sell anything as a 'legal high' despite labeling it "not for human consumption".
  11. LilAnn

They made it illegal over here in the US a few years ago. That and bath salts, too. The bath salts were worse than crack or meth or any of those in regards to you turning into a monster when you're on it. That's what I heard, anyway. I was always too scared to find out myself.
  12. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

Okay, so it was another name for the synthetic MJ that was sold in gas stations and smoke shops here in US a few years back?
    If that's what it is I never tried it but saw a few younger people using it and the smell was AWFUL and they didn't seem high like they would be off MJ but more like sick and a friend of mine tried it and said all she got was a headache.
  13. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

It was legal for a hot minute here, and since it’s been banned apparently liquid spice has hit the streets. I don’t know anyone who tried it, maybe because real marijuana is so prevalent here, but apparently there were places that were booming with business when spice was still legal.
  14. LilAnn

I knew a couple of people who tried it when they couldn't get any real weed. It took the edge off I guess, but not enough to justify spending that much money. I do know that when it went illegal, the gas station by my house kept selling it to "certain customers" that wouldn't tattle. He still hasn't gotten rid of all of it. Did you ever know anyone who tried the bath salts?
  15. LilAnn

Is the liquid spice for vapes?
  16. CallipygianGamine

I believe it is. And given how potent the regular stuff is, I assume liquid spice is pretty powerful as well.
  17. LilAnn

If there are do umentee cases of "spice" directly or indirectly hurting someone, they need to make it illegal in all forms. With other illegal dugs it works that way. You are not allowed to have liquid cocaine. So what's the difference?
  18. CallipygianGamine

Yeah, I think they’re really trying to crack down on the liquid stuff in my area. The problem is that it’s such a lucrative industry, the manufacturers always try to get around it, so the laws constantly have to be amended. And for some reason this is seen as far less dangerous than cocaine etc. when that’s not necessarily the case.
  19. LilAnn

From what I have read all three are more dangerous than what they are mimicking... the spice, bath salts, and something that mimicked Ecstasy. I know that originally, around here, they made the particular combination of ingredients in K2 illegal. So they changed the recipe a little bit and gave it a new name. There has got to be a way to keep them from using loopholes.
  20. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Really?! I've heard of Spice but I never took the time to figure out what it is. Synthetic marijuana? Lol, who came out with that? Eli Lilly, the pharmaceutical company. It is a GMO pot to smoke? Lol, oh my God. What is going on? Legal, not legal. The makers want to see if people go for it. See how much money can be made. They can patent it when pot becomes legal. You can put that right along side a McDonald's pink slime burger that's made from a powder.