An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What is The Best Alternative to Alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by SashaS, Feb 18, 2016.

1. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

So we all know alcohol isn't the best drink out there. But some people, although rare, might drink it for the taste and not the effects. I personally hate the taste of any alcohol which is good enough reason for me to avoid it. The problem is many people don't even care about how it tastes and want the effect.

My question is, what is the best alternative to alcohol for lets say, somebody who does like it? Our local shops sell a brand of canned carbonated juice called Just Juice which tastes a lot like alcohol for some reason, even though it does not contain any. Many of the kids like drinking it just for that reason.

I'm sure a lot of people will stop drinking excessively if they can find a healthier alternative. What are your opinions and have you ever tasted a drink that tastes similar to alcohol but does not contain any?
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

They have the non alcohol wines, beers and coolers that taste very much like the alcohol ones for the people who like the taste. I don't think though when it comes to addiction that it is so much the taste that the person is going after. I think they are looking for that high. They drink to get wasted, not because they like the taste of what they are drinking. That has been my experience with the people I know who are alcoholics. My husband will even say that he doesn't like the taste of alcohol yet he drinks excessively.
    SashaS likes this.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

The best alternative is herbal tea. Many herbal teas have relaxing benefits. White teas, green teas and herbal blends are healthy and can relieve stress. Most people drink alcohol to take the edge off sometimes, some herbal teas can do just that.
    Dlkp and SashaS like this.
  4. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I was going to mention that you could make "mocktails". I never thought about whether or not there was a such thing as alcohol free wines and beers. If that is true then it is news to me. I wonder if it even taste any good.
    SashaS likes this.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There really isn't an alternative to alcohol because as it has been mentioned people drink it for it's effects. An alternative that would make them high would be another drug and to be honest, there'd no point in substituting one drug for another. What should one drink instead of alcohol? Grape juice IMHO would be a good alternative.
    SashaS likes this.
  6. Andorphin

Andorphin Member

Umm, you can try to find out what kind of alcohol-containing brands you drink and see what their ingredients are. For example if you drink wine then try something containing grapes like fresh grape juice. Maybe even mixed out with something else. You can also just skip alcohol and try to drink more water. The less alcohol you drink the less you feel the need to drink it. When you first try to give it up it's difficult but then after while it becomes easier. So yeah, try to follow the pattern that I mentioned, juice out the things you like most and get a move from there.
    SashaS likes this.
  7. remnant

remnant Community Champion

The best alternative to alcohol in my opinion is another drink which is a product of fermentation. Yoghurt and sour milk and their derivatives are good alternatives.
    SashaS likes this.
  8. I don't think that currently there are any drinks which produce the same "effect". In fact the effect it has on our body and mind, as we lose control of our senses is the bad thing about alcohol. The only way to enjoy alcoholic drinks and not get drunk is to drink in moderation and drink low-alcoholic content drinks.
    SashaS likes this.
  9. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I agree. I also think that there's really no perfect drink that can serve as an alternative for alcohol because it's the effect that people are looking for. I remember when I used to drink a lot. I never cared about the taste because all I really wanted was to get drunk. Maybe instead of finding an alternative, it is better to find ways on how to avoid craving for alcohol. :)
    Dlkp and Rainman like this.
  10. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, I've never met anyone who drinks alcohol just because they like the taste. All of them drink because they like the effect, not the taste. For the people who only like the taste, there could be a ton of alternatives. But for the people who like the effect, mostly anything will do if they don't have the luxury to choose.
  11. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

If people are drinking it for the taste, which I doubt they are, then I guess non alcoholic beer are pretty good substitutes for people who like the taste of beer. Non alcoholic cocktails or punches are also gaining popularity lately and a lot of restaurants serve them. If they like sweet drinks, of course. In the end, though, there is no way to substitute the "taste" of alcohol (like the bitterness, etc.)
  12. 6up

6up Community Champion

There is no best alternative drink for alcohol. The best choice is to completely quit taking alcohol. What if you become addicted to the other drinks, will you have solved the problem? It will be worse still if you become addicted to other drinks mostly sugary drinks. Sugary foods have been associated to weight addition and I think you know the disadvantages of adding weight. So, please quit without getting addicted to something else.
  13. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Try cocktails instead of spirit such as whiskey or scotch. Choose beer or wine instead of hard drinks such as vodka or rum. You can go for mocktail, which are non-alcoholic.
  14. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

Sadly, most people don't drink it for the taste, no matter what they may say. People drink for the way that it makes them feel and how it helps them to handle their emotions.

For that, there is no alternative because all choices are going to be just as bad or even worse.
    supporthim65 likes this.
  15. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I would say soda, cider or organic rice or fruit wine. Processed wine has dangerous alcohol content compared to rice or fruit-based wines served directly from where they're fermented. But just to be on the safe side, just go for soda and/or cider. The latter is far healthier while the former can be addictive only to some extent. Most of the time, you still have your wits about you.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

There are fruit flavored beers which I am not sure how much alcoholic it is but it sounded healthy for me because of the "fruit" in it. (Not sure of that).
    Maybe just try to like fresh fruit juices and water cause those drinks are definitely healthy.
  17. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

There shouldn't be an "alternative". People should just be without it. I think liking the taste is an excuse a lot of people use.
    supporthim65 likes this.
  18. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I personally like drinks that have no alcohol, like for example non-alcoholic piña colada! I love those, but you need to be careful with that kind of drinks because they are loaded with sugar. There are also beers and wine with no alcohol, but those don't taste so good.
  19. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

There are a lot of different non alcoholic drinks that are similar to beer and wine. Wine coolers, etc. Just do a bit of research on them. There are a lot of different ones to choose from. Of course, drinking something that is a knock off of alcohol may kind of make you back track and get the desire to drink back. That's something you want to avoid. But if you think you can handle it, there are options out there that are pretty close to alcoholic drinks.
  20. doglover

doglover Member

You don't think that anybody enjoys the taste of beer? Especially with a chicken salad sandwich on rye bread with potato salad! And there is NOT a ton of alternatives to a really good-tasting beer. Besides that, it can be very difficult for some of us to get drunk off BEER! I find it hard to get just a buzz off it. I LOVE the taste of beer!!!