An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What is The Best Alternative to Alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by SashaS, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@doglover i agree some people do like the taste of beer..or acquire a taste for it. i know social drinkers who can have one beer with a meal...or maybe after a hard day working in the yard.... and enjoy it. they don't abuse it or depend on it... just like the taste like they like coke with pizza. i also know those who drink to get drunk...and don't think much about the taste...

there is non-alcoholic beer... and it tastes pretty good! if you're looking for an alternative to beer, try that. i like kombucha..ginger kind. the bite reminds me of a beer. works for me!
  2. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

For those that say they drink alcohol for the taste rather than the effect, I’d like them to think about if they would drink scotch on the rocks if it had to alcohol in it? Or a martini for that matter? My answer is hell no! What’s the point! Or let’s say someone believes they like beer for its taste which is reasonable since it tastes less like **** than hard liquor. But....if you were drinking beer for the taste and the alcoholic buzz you get is just an undesirable side effect then why haven’t you been drinking N/A beer all along? When I quit drinking (vodka was my drink of choice towards the end) I thought I’d miss the taste or the burn or the warm sensation it gave me. But it wasn’t the taste or the burn I missed it was that those things were associated with how good vodka made me feel. Today I drink club soda (kinda bitter like alcohol) or black coffee. Both taste kinda like **** but so did alcohol lol
  3. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

Good point... I'd saying drinking N/A beer is far less appealing... and I've never actually bought any... But I have opted for one at a get together b/c they had it... I think it's a perspective issue.