An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What is the best part about being clean?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Carnold23, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

What is everyone's favorite parts about being sober? I think this will be a good inspiration because sometimes we all need to remember what is good about being clean.
    The best part about being sober in my opinion is being able to enjoy every day. When I was using drugs all I wanted to do was use drugs. I did not stop and appreciate how truly wonderful life is because I was either high and partying, sleeping or thinking about how to get high. I missed all the little things, the things that remind you that life is precious. Drugs take away your ability to see the world around you for all the beauty that it has.
  2. serenity

serenity Community Champion

The best part about being sober is that you get to socialize normally and without feeling isolated and trapped about using drugs or towards those substances that you were once addicted to. It makes you save money too apart from having normal social relations!
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I love being clean and sober. It somehow makes me more goal-oriented and productive. I am also able to live life to the fullest, without having to get high or drunk. It also helps me save some money for the future.
    dechantajones likes this.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Being able to be happy and like who I am without the use of substances is the biggest thing for me. Also, just being able to wake up daily with clarity is hugely important. I feel like when I was addicted to alcohol, every day was a booze filled haze - I wasn't living in the real world. So being real and being present is a huge thing for me!
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think the best thing us the clarity you feel when your actually living your life. A lot of the time a drinker will live their life in a world of their own, surviving and coping rather than living.
  6. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

To me, the best part of being sober is having full control of what I'm doing everyday.

I can remember those days when alcohol addiction took command of my life, making me to do things I would never do if I would be sober, and many of those things were not necessarily good things I could be proud of.
    Steve Dawson and dechantajones like this.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Being coke free certainly has its benefits. I've got more money and I don't have to spend any time worrying about whether I'll be able to score. Life used to be about either work or coke and these days, there's no coke but an awful lot more variety. I still work all the hours I can but am able to fill my spare time differently now.
    Steve Dawson and dechantajones like this.
  8. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

I can definitely agree with your post. It feels good to not spend all day thinking about getting high.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

What's great about being clean is you're able to consciously take charge of your life. You can decide where you want to go, what you want to do, how you're going to go about it and which choices to pursue. Being clean means you still have your reason about you and can fully exercise it as you see fit.
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

The best part for me? Probably the fact that I have so much time to focus on myself and do fun stuff instead of dealing with craving feelings and struggles. Of course it gets hard from time to time but I manage it, I have a lot of support from my friends and family.
  11. Psyduck

Psyduck Active Contributor

The best part is looking at yourself at the mirror and having that proud grin, knowing that you've made it past 1 more day without drinking and you made it with nothing but your sheer determination and will-power. It also boosts your confidence level and tells you that you have a level of control over yourself.
  12. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

The best part for being clean is proving yourself that you are not a weak person, that substances can't take control of your life, and being rational every single moment. Also, you are able to use your mind to a maximum potential and learn a lot of new thing. Knowledge is power. I have a huge passion with cognitive thinking, ha ha.
    Steve Dawson likes this.
  13. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I finally got comfortable with being around people without having to smoke or drink to feel okay. I had social anxiety, and while I still do, now I don't have to mask it. I'm living real life.
  14. Mara

Mara Community Champion

For me, the best part of being clean is having good health and being able to live an active lifestyle. I remember when I used to smoke, it was even hard for me to climb a flight of stairs because I easily get out of breath. But now that I am living a healthy lifestyle, I do mountain climbing and hiking and I am confident that my lungs can keep up.
  15. PLP Rob

PLP Rob Active Contributor

Thank you, Carnold23! What a great, positive topic for discussion. We spend so much time talking about the negatives, the rough patches, the rock bottoms, that we sometimes forget to extol the virtues of sobriety. What an absolute gift life is, and being sober allows us to enjoy each moment, in the moment. For me (to answer your question), two things spring to mind. First off, and this is super-obvious, it's AMAZING to wake up each morning and not be hung over! What an incredible feeling. Cannot be overstated. Second, and best of all, the clarity of sobriety has allowed (and is allowing) me to pursue numberless worthwhile goals. Friendships, familial relationships, artistic goals. It's just a more vibrant, fuller life. And yeah, it takes courage to live it. And it feels good to face it head on. Best regards.
    Steve Dawson likes this.
  16. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

The best part is knowing that you're not trapped in an endless cycle of dependency. You finally realize that you're no longer on this downward and endless spiral that leads to the abyss. You become hopeful about the future and can finally start making plans for a better tomorrow. I could only start building myself up only after I came clean.
  17. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

The worst part of addiction for me was the ever constant need to have a supply of alcohol in the house, at all times. I was fairly obsessive about it. When my lifestyle consisted of drinking myself into a stupor almost every night, the need to have enough booze in the house to be able to keep going until I crashed out, and to have enough for the next day, was constantly on my mind. Its very nice to not NEED alcohol anymore.
  18. stariie

stariie Community Champion

The freedom. Being clean is like--once you were a slave, wearing shackles, with a cruel, unrelenting master telling you what to do with each and every minute of your day. And then one day, you're set free (clean), the shackles come off, and you can do what you want to do, instead of having to do what your master commands you to do.

Take for example, a "simple" addiction like cigarettes. When cigarettes are your master, they own you, they control you, they tell you what to do. Need your money for a certain bill, or for gas in your car? Well too bad because you're gonna give some of that money to me. Want to sleep in on the weekend?, well, too bad again, you're going to do as I say and get up NOW and go smoke. I own you. Move It.
  19. NyX82

NyX82 Member

The best part about being sober for me is being able to have fun with my kids. When I was using I never felt like even getting out of bed and my children suffered for that. Now I actually enjoy getting up and spending time with them. I have the energy to play. Seeing them happy makes all that I went through to get where I am today definitely worth it. You may not think it but you can have so much happiness and fun being sober.