An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What is the best way to replace nicotine?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by drc52, Feb 13, 2015.

1. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

I am trying to use the combination of nicotine plasters & e-cigarettes to stop smoking before I cut out the nicotine completely. So far this had gone very well, I haven't had the urge to smoke a cigarette for the entire week. What products would you/ have you used to stop smoking? Did it work?
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend either nicotine patches or e-cigarettes or even nicotine chewing gum. I don't think those kinds of alternatives are particularly effective. They may work for some people but I believe it's the minority. The people who, deep down inside, really genuinely want to give up can do it without these substitutes. I've mentioned it many times here on these forums, but the one thing that really worked for me was using NLP for behavioural change and changing the way I emotionally reacted to smoking.
  3. awesomeaniruddh

awesomeaniruddh Active Contributor

One way to get rid of the addiction is to keep chewing something. This has apparently worked for quite a few people. Whenever you feel the urge to smoke, chew something hard and crunchy like raw carrots or sunflower seeds.
  4. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

Both me and my partner both took Zyban to quit many years ago. He quit a good week before me, then I quit too. The initial hump was SO SO SO hard, but it became easier and easier every day. The first day of not smoking I was literally pacing, crying, wringing my hands, it was awful. But in the end we both quit - we smoked for 10 years and now it's been another 10 years since we've quit. We both tried other methods to quit earlier, but it was the Zyban that worked for us. I highly recommend it to anyone.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I've been using e-cigarettes myself. OK, we aren't certain that they are completely safe yet but they have to better for you than real cigs. I've hardly had the urge to smoke since I started using them at the start of the year. I plan to start reducung the nicotine content on my e-cigs soon, with an eventual view to stopping completely.
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I also agree with this. I did used to find that chewing something, whether it's just chewing gum or maybe sucking on some mints, did really help a lot. I used to find that when I had the taste of mint in my mouth I didn't want a cigarette anyway because you wouldn't be able to taste them properly. Combine that with doing something with your hands, like holding a pen instead of a cigarette, and together they can counteract the feeling of wanting to smoke.
  7. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

I do not want to discourage people who use e-cigarettes to stop smoking but the fact of the matter is that they might be more dangerous than actual cigarettes due to the presence of formaldehyde (they contain upto 15 times more formaldehyde than cigarettes). and the prime reason for cancer. Nicotine is not the reason for cancer, it is the reason for addiction.
  8. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I really don't understand the use of these so called nicotine replacements to break the addiction to nicotine. I think it is like being addicted to alcohol and to break the addiction you drink beer instead of vodka or rum. It is still consuming the very thing you are trying to avoid. I would suggest that you chew some mint gum or other flavor when you feel the need to smoke.
    Janie likes this.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I have a friend that has stopped smoking all together. He did it by using nicotene gum. He's constantly chewing on the gum to get his fix. If he boards a plane or gets into a long business meeting he then resorts to the patch to get through the day. So far he hasn't smoked in years.
  10. mikka254

mikka254 Member

I would never advice anyone to replace one drug for another. You're supposed to teach yourself how to function without any assistance.