An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What is the most effective type of support?

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by keekz38, Apr 19, 2015.

1. keekz38

keekz38 Member

I'm wondering if all types of support and support groups work for all different types of substances which people are abusing. For example, does the 12 step program work as well for heroine as it would for alcohol, or vise versa? Does anyone have experience on this or know of any websites that recommend certain types of support for certain substances?

Thanks!
  2. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Since every drug has different withdrawal symptoms, there must be different methods to help people deal with their addiction. I don't think it's allowed in this forum to mention other websites so you should google it.
  3. RHill

RHill Member

It isn't simply down to the substance either. Different people learn to manage their addicion in different ways. What is certain however, is that any support is likely to be better than no support. Even if the support group you first go to isn't perfectly suited to you, it is better than coping alone and they will probably have the expertise to direct you to a group that is better suited if it isn't working. Seek help. Never be too ashamed.
  4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I think it's not only about the addiction but also about each individual.

Sometimes a website may have excellent support though online guides, but an individual may want to have personal counseling service. Another person might feel shy or embarrassed having to talk on his or her addiction with a complete stranger whether face to face, on the phone or online, and therefore preferring to write down a letter or email to get support.

Based on what type of support is an individual seeking, it may be easier point this person to the right support service.
  5. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

Love, forgiveness and support from others, like family, wife, husband or friends. I think it's very important that the social community does something because loneliness could be a trigger always.