New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What is the success rate?

Discussion in 'Sober Living Homes' started by pineywood, Apr 4, 2015.

1. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

I am wondering, if the experience of living in a sober living house helps, or is it just a band-aid?

I have a family member who could probably benefit from this environment. I just wonder, if anyone has any experience with a loved one or themselves going to one of these facilities? Was it positive or did you or your love one feel resentment?

Resentment seems to be one of the stages of recovery and one of the hardest for me to deal with. Sometimes, I take the brunt of a lot of anger. I think it might be beneficial for my sister to deal with her anger with others who feel the same way.

Did you or your love one go through a cycle of going in and out? Or was one extended visit enough?
  2. CountryMom

CountryMom Member

Residing in a home with others who have experienced similar addictions and are also trying to live a sober life can provide a sense of support, community and a good social network. I don't think that it benefits anyone when someone is forced to do something they are not ready to do though. If your family member is forced into this environment, she may feel resentment and probably take this out on family or whomever put her there. I believe most of the sober living environments I have looked into are optional stays and that if you are not living a "sober life" while there, you may be asked to leave. If she is really bad off maybe looking into a rehabilitation center for the short term to help her on her way would be beneficial if she was agreeable.

Either way these are very difficult decisions to make, I hope things turn out well for you and your family member.
    pineywood likes this.
  3. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Thank you. It is such a tricky situation. I have a sister and a sister-in-law who struggle with alcohol issues. They both live in different states. One gets in the habit of calling me on a nightly basis, and the other won't answer her phone for months because she gets upset with my concern for her well-being.

The one, that seems to disappear is the one that I was asking about in reference to the sober living house option has been in and out of treatment programs for years. But, I do not think she has ever been in a sober living house. It just seems like her stays in the past have not been long enough for her to deal with her issues. And you are right, you can force anyone to do anything they do not want to do! No matter how much you think it is for their own good!
  4. 6up

6up Community Champion

They are beneficial since one can share experiences with people like him having the same problem. They are also encouraged when they see other people change. The company that one gets from friends gets one out of stress.
  5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I have never stayed in one of those houses, but from what I've heard from people who have made it to stay there, this is kind of spiritual retreat at which the person find an ideal setting to progress in recovery and stay sober.

Like with all treatments and therapy, depend on multiple factors their effectiveness. What works for someone, may not work for someone else.
  6. Danyell

Danyell Community Champion

I would really look into the sober home that you might be thinking of for her. I have been to a couple for my heroin addiction and one I went to was amazing. It was just the right amount of rules and freedom. For me, I would go to a inpatient rehab facility, and then sober living as the next transitional step to entering the real world.

Then, the others I have been to where terrible. So most of the times, there are house managers who keep everyone in line and make sure everyone is doing what they are supposed to be doing. One of the house managers would always be noticeably high (which a heroin addict can immeditely tell if someone else is high from heroin) and she would even be nodding off when we would do our morning and evening meetings with everyone in the house. Another place I was at, there were several girls who were coming in to the house high all the time. Which in a sober living home you have to do random UA's every week, if not more. And somehow they all "passed" every time. The home got shut down because one of the girls actually OD'ed in the house.

I don't think sober living is bad by any means, I would just suggest to look into them and go on a tour of the house. Maybe even ask some of the women who are staying there in private how they like it, and what they don't like.