An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What is your Daily Routine?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by calicer1996, May 21, 2015.

1. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

As a recovering addict, I would love some motivation right now.
    Details please :)
  2. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Wake up around 6am and have a light breakfast. Then I will either go for a walk or to the gym.
    Then I have to punch the clock to pay the bills. Once I'm home I get dinner started and say grace. After a good meal I usually read or watch television. Then I do my prayers and thank God for this blessed life I have.
    Weekends are the same except I don't punch the clock (yay!) and Sundays I go to church (Double yay!) I get to work on little projects on the weekend. Last weekend I went fishing and this weekend I helped setup the Church potluck and spent an afternoon talking with my friends.
    calicer1996 likes this.
  3. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

I'll have to refer you to my concept of the no-zero day: under no circumstances will you ever do nothing on any given day. If the only thing you do is feed the cat or read the newspaper, then you've accomplished something and thus have not had a zero day.

I get up whenever I wake up, as my schedule is flexible (read as, 'nowhere to be and nothing to do when I got there.') I fix myself something to eat, and then try to edit some papers or work on a collection of terrible chapters I hope to one day call a novel.

When I can't do that anymore, I'll make a few doodles and give them silly or inspirational captions and then leave them in weird places around the house. I'll try to play guitar, and I'll do some work online doing whatever freelance gig I can come up with which is usually editing. I'll rinse and repeat all of these things as needed until I can't hold my eyes open (I'm also an insomniac) and then go to bed to repeat it all again.

Having a lot of random, time consuming tasks has helped me more than scheduling ever will.
    calicer1996 likes this.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I wake up really early in the morning and go for a walk. The world is really beautiful when the sun just comes up and I enjoy seeing new places.
    After that I usually go to work, do some stuff for my hobbies and then come home. After I come home I decide if I want to play some video games/watch a movie or go out with my friends.
    There are more things that happen everyday that can change my routine though.
    calicer1996 likes this.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

As I think most people will probably say, keeping busy for me is the main thing. I obviously do all the things that people have to do, wake up, shower, eat breakfast, go to work etc.

It's the times when we find ourselves with nothing to do that is the major worry. Never let yourself do nothing, I know that people need to relax but that doesn't mean doing nothing.

You can relax by doing all sorts of things, reading, watching TV, gaming...even exercise can be relaxing to a certain degree.
    calicer1996 likes this.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

As a recovering addict, you have to really keep yourself busy and don't go to places that would just trigger you to go back to your addictions. I suggest as soon as you wake up in the morning, do a little bit of exercise. You could go for a walk or run outside. Then have a hearty meal and drink lots of water before going to work. Once you have gotten home from a long day at the office, you might want to read a good book or listen to music just to unwind/relax.
    calicer1996 likes this.
  7. calicer1996

Yes, I read about it on Reddit. I am a believer of that too. Good going.

@dyanmarie25 Not looking for suggestions here :p What's your routine?
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

My routine? Well, lately I'm waking up at 7 a.m. or so :) As soon as I get up I turn on the laptop and start working. After a bit I have breakfast, most of the time it's a smoothie. After that I work some more until it's lunch time, I make my own healthy lunch, then eat it ;) After that I work a bit more and then after a bit I just watch some TV or a nice movie, talk to a friend or do something nice outside.

By dinner time I only drink some lactose-free chocolate milk. I work a bit more, once done I get ready to go to bed. I check Pinterest for a bit then if luck I fall asleep early enough.
  9. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Lately I’ve been terrible about keeping a routine. My recent illness really kicked my ass and I couldn’t do much beyond relaxing, trying to get some online work done, and engaging in a few hobbies that wouldn’t tax my body. Trying to rebuild my good habits now, though.

My routine still varies somewhat from day to day, as a lot of things in my life are in flux. But generally I wake up around 7 or 8 (earlier if I need to be somewhere around 9 or 10, which has been happening a lot lately), have a good breakfast and tea, work online/chat with friends for an hour or two, then go for a speed walk when I don’t want to sit on my butt anymore. Lunch comes after that, yoga in the late afternoon, then a shower followed by dinner. After which, most of my evenings are dedicated to working online and/or looking for offline work. I like to unwind before bed by reading, spending some time on my hobbies/projects, or both.

Some mornings I’ll head to a coffee shop for a while and do some work/look online for jobs, as their wifi is far better than my internet. And of course things get a bit thrown off if I have something else to do, like errands and such. But I generally try to squeeze in a bit of time for exercise and hobbies every day.
  10. Lackluster

Exercise is easy if you've got a treadmill. Get yourself a stand of some kind, set the laptop up, turn the TV on, and start walking. You'll just suddenly come back to reality at some point and realize your legs are on fire and you've got fifteen job applications done and you also know all the lastest contestants on the Price is Right by name.
    CallipygianGamine likes this.
  11. calicer1996

Guys! Guys! It's amazing to read about your routines. But one thing troubles me. All I see is wake up, work, eat and sleep. Please guys! You can do better! What are you working on? What's your life long project? You must have some ambitions, right? I want to know more about those!
  12. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Projects? I’ve got a couple of those. I run a blog, and I’ve also been working on a novella for the past couple of years. The word count is maybe 60% of what I’d like it to be, partly because I have some difficulties letting myself just write without caring so much about the outcome. But I try to add a little bit every day, at least.
    calicer1996 likes this.
  13. Lackluster

You're welcome to step in my closet sometime, where I've got a mini-workshop set up. Been working on fixing a guitar for ages now. I'm waiting on some expendable cash to order a wiring kit so I can put it all back together, but I've been waiting months for that. In the meantime, I've been sanding it down and repainting it over and over. I'm getting to the point where I can get a glossy sheen out of a dollar can of hardware store spraypaint. xD

If I ever get it done I might post pictures some time.
    calicer1996 likes this.
  14. calicer1996

@Lackluster I would love that!

For me, I have been trying to bring my 5k time below 17:00. It's so damn hard! But I'll keep on trying.
  15. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

Well, one major advice that I would give you is that you should keep active and preoccupied. Go outdoors, take a walk, exercise, keep moving. Don't sit in the house all day with nothing to do.
  16. calicer1996

@redpink Thank you but I am not looking for advice. I am asking about your routine!