An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What is your experience of child addiction?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by Cheeky_Chick, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

A friend of mine is currently having problems with her son, who is addicted to video games. Some of the lengths that he has been to in order to get at these games is quite shocking, and as a result of this she wants him to get professional help. However, she is concerned about how this help may be given.

How is childhood addiction treated? How similar is it to the path that an adult would take on the road to recovery? Of course, my friend wants her son to get better, but she is also a little bit concerned about the road that is ahead of him, too.
  2. MNyte

MNyte Member

Children tend to be stubborn, and have these warped perspective that they are right. You need to make it clear that what they are doing is not beneficial. It may hurt them, depending on their maturity, but they have to acknowledge that.

Childhood does affect adulthood, and how they value their actions and pride not to do this and that. They may disregard any sort of help they see as feeble attempts to disembark their ideal - which they feel is 100% correct.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

A video addiction should be deal with as one would any other addiction. The parent must know that it won't be easy for their child to give up gaming.

Since most of these children seek to escape reality for some reason try to find other more productive ways for the child to spend his/her time. Try to get the child interested in sports. Don't force him/her to do something they don't like — have them choose something they'll be comfortable doing and once they start enjoying the sport their love for video games won't dominate their minds.
  4. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I can totally understand your friend's fears. I'm not sure which country you're in and what the laws there are like, but where I live parents have to give permission for any and all treatments proposed to be given to their children under age 18. There are instances where children younger are able to emancipate themselves, but the general rule is 18 years.

How old is your friend's child? If he is younger than 18 it might be that she will have full control over any programs recommended by a health professional. If she is not comfortable with any of them she will be able to say no.