An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What is your opinion of non smokers smoking at parties?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Domen, May 15, 2015.

1. Domen

Domen Active Contributor

Pretty much as the title says. I live in a small town in Slovenia, Europe. I happen to know the majority of people that live in and around my town. When I head out to party with my friends I see more and more people who smoke. I think there are more actually more smokers than non smokers at the parties I attend. I know some people do it just to fit in and I can see the reason why. Despite me being an "on and off" smoker I get a little bit disappointed to see people who are self proclaimed straight edge smoking just to fit in. I'd like to engage on this topic because I'm interested and I would like to hear from the forum.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I know a few people that only social smoke. They don't have a cigarette all week, then at the weekend if they're having a beer, they'll buy a pack.

Obviously this is better than smoking all the time, but I do often wonder why and even how they can do that.
  3. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I had a friend who used to do this. She never smoked except on the weekend when she would drink or go clubbing which I never understood the purpose of this. Now that she is out of University she no longer smokes even though she continues to drink every weekend so I'm not sure if she was influenced by people around her or what the cause was, I have never actually asked her.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

To be honest, I've never really thought that much about it. The only thing I will say is that when I smoked cigarettes myself, these type of people would always annoy me. If you KNOW that you are going to want to smoke then you should jolly well buy your own and not scrounge them off other people all night.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

You know, this may sound a bit odd and I do find it kind of odd myself but both my stepson and his girlfriend smoke. His girlfriend is clearly addicted - sometimes she'll nag him to go to the shop so she can get her fix but he'll often refuse and will sometimes wait for hours before going and then when he gets back he'll smoke with her. However, he has made it clear that he can either take it or leave it and that he is not addicted and yet he smokes anyway! I've said to him on a few occasions now, why even bother smoking and risk getting addicted if you can take it or leave it, why not just not bother smoking at all? The only thing I can really think of is that it must just be a social thing for him.
  6. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Lol, you're describing me:oops::oops:. Bumming cigarettes from people because I didn't smoke "that much" so I hated to buy a pack, because if I bought a pack, I'd smoke a pack. My mother used to get mad when we'd be out and about and I'd bum cigarettes from people, she gave me a stern talking to. She didn't want me to smoke, but if I was going to do it I'd better support my own habit.
  7. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I personally don't think people smoke to fit in, unless they are really young, like 18,19. I think that people smoke because they really want to smoke. They might not want to smoke a lot, they might be "social" smokers, people who only smoke when they are at a party or something like that, but bottom line, they want to smoke, so they do.

If a person is smoking just to fit it, then that is a character flaw that they have to overcome, and it goes much deeper than just smoking, because not only will it lead them to smoking, it could lead them into doing just about anything that they really don't want to do it. That's a dangerous road to travel.

Learning how to say "No." is a key skill that a person needs to learn sooner rather than later.
  8. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’ve known a few social smokers like this. I actually dated one briefly. It’s not something I ever gave much thought to, since it’s their bodies and their choice. But I can see how it might be irritating to other smokers when these social smokers bum cigarettes off them. It just never affected me (well, aside from possible second-hand smoke) because I wasn’t a smoker, I guess.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not smoke and will never smoke especially just to fit in. Good thing too that most of my friends are non smoker and if there will be a smoker, he or she will do his thing outside or away from the non smokers.
  10. egrocket1

egrocket1 Member

Alcohol increases cravings for cigarettes. I don't get what the big deal is; I don't smoke at all during the week, but when there is a party and I am drinking a lot, I love cigarettes. It is all in the alcohol.
  11. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I understand what you are saying and kind of agree, although it's also a bit of a contradiction. Alcohol does increase cravings for cigarettes and each cigarette seems to sober you up slightly which, in turn, helps the drink go down a bit better. Having said that, if you're not addicted to smoking then you shouldn't be having cravings for cigarettes in the first place and quite obviously, you didn't have cravings for cigarettes while drinking before you started smoking - so it must have been a social thing in the first place and not all in the alcohol.
  12. Femiluv

Femiluv Active Contributor

I actually do not mind when people smoke outside during parties. Smoking indoors is not allowed in most places in the city I live in. However, I feel like it is common courtesy to ask people around you before you light up. People have various sensitivities to nicotine and it's only polite to ask people before exposing them to second hand smoke. I have a few friends who ask (bf doesn't lol) and I really appreciate it when they do.
  13. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I have some friends who are social smokers and although they smoke a lot whenever we're at parties or we're drinking, they don't smoke at all during regular days. It might be just that for some of the people there but with a habit like smoking I think most of them will probably be regular smokers. As for discouraging them, honestly I don't think there's much you can do alone, which is why the government and community should do something about it if it really becomes worrying.
  14. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Member

I honestly did not know there were social smokers, I have heard of people socially drinking but never heard of smoking. I have learned something new. I don't smoke myself, and if I were at a party where everyone was smoking, I would not join them. I understand people want to fit in with others, however there are other ways to fit in rather than doing exactly what they are doing.
  15. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

Social smoking is such a cop out! Either smoke or don't I think at a party you should respect whoevers house it might be and if they don't want you to smoke then you don't smoke out of politeness and respect to them! I have never smoked and have nothing against smokers as long as they do not try to smoke in my home!
  16. rightct

rightct Community Champion

That's pretty much socially-smoking, and some think it's fine since you smoke it only in that time span and not daily, like the usual smokers do. But the truth is you do yourself harm with every cigarette smoke you inhale, and this is why social smoking is as bad as daily smoking.
    And this social smoking can always become the latter, you never know. Just stay away from cigarettes is all.
  17. henry

henry Community Champion

People who don't smoke, but smoke at parties and stuff, are usually the crowd that wants to fit in. They go to places, and whatever everyone's doing, they do it too, it doesn't matter if they like it or not. It's like fashion. I'll bet you that 90% of the people who wear a certain kind of clothes, listen to certain type of music, or watch certain type of TV shows, don't really like it, they just do it to fit in. They watch TV shows like Jersey Shore because they know everyone and their uncle is going to be talking about it the next day, so they rather die before telling people they don't watch it, for fear everyone's going to look at them like if they were freaks of nature. Individuality and originality has always been a rare thing.
  18. Jericho Mercado

Jericho Mercado Active Contributor

I know a few social smokers but I don't hold it against them. I also recently saw my mother-in-law smoke a cigarette when we were going through a tough medical and financial situation. She only smoked 1 but when I saw that, I understood the weight and stress the situation was putting on her. We are over that situation now and she hasn't smoked since. She even apologized and was ashamed to let me see her do that.
  19. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

My best friend also smokes occasionally. And she doesn't get addicted!

This is more harmful that everyday smoking though. Your body is not used to the chemicals in the smoke and it damages it even more. But each to their own I guess, as long as they are not suffering from it and don't get addicted, it's not my business. I have no particular opinion on them.
  20. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

Do you have any evidence or sources to support this? I've never heard it before.

I know it's not always as easy to smoke socially because your body isn't used to it, but I'm not sure it actually does any more physical damage this way, especially compared to smokers who smoke way too many every day.