An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What is your reason to quit smoking?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by anorexorcist, Aug 8, 2015.

1. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

We all know how dangerous and expensive is smoking, and all of us have our personal reasons to quit smoking: health/financial issues, self control, etc.
    My reason to quit smoking is a mix of those three, it was expensive, was damaging my health and I also felt frustrated and controlled by something, and that wasn't good for my self esteem!
    So, what is your reason to quit smoking?
    Winterybella likes this.
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

My health is the main reason, and how expensive cigarettes are was the 2nd reason. I used to get angry each time I had to fork out almost $10 for a pack when that money could have gone to something much more useful.
  3. 6up

6up Community Champion

I came to know that smoking kills. This results from cancer that is caused by nicotine. That made me to think about quitting. The articles that I read about effects of smoking also made me to think twice.
  4. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

My main reason is that it's too expensive, right now I'm at the point where I don't really care about my health anymore as much as I care that I don't have money for anything because of this stupid habit. This is like a black hole in my budget, I started smoking cigarettes with only 0.1 nicotine, I think this is the weakest on the market, so I don't get a lot of the negative aspects of the smoking, I could go on like this forever, but I don't have the resources to do so.
  5. gracer

gracer Community Champion

My main reason was my son and my family. I didn't quit smoking until I learned that I was pregnant, and it was such a good thing that I didn't find any reason to go back to smoking again after I gave birth. I am now proud to say that I have been smoke-free for almost 6 years now. Thanks to my son who gave me the drive and inspiration to change.
  6. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I am not a smoker myself. Maybe I tried a stem from the breadfruit tree when I was just a child or pulled and puffed the candy sticks:that I did for sure. Just dropping in to say I am very happy that you are smoke free thanks to your young man.

It tells me it can be done and for all the right reasons. Congrats Gracer and all of you here who quit. To those who might still be trying, don't give up.
    gracer likes this.
  7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I quit smoking for 2 reasons: My health was declining slowly and I was starting to notice. This kind of triggered some of my fear emotions and I started to have inclinations about quitting.
    The other one is money. I was barely paying rent when I was addicted to smoking (and a few others). Nowadays I save up a lot of money monthly, just to cover for some extra expenses if I need to (an expensive trip etc.).
  8. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Thank you @Winterybella! :) Every one has his/her own reason and inspiration to change and I'm so glad I found mine with such a wonderful gift - my son.

I also hope the best for all the others who are still having a hard time quitting right now. May you all find your own reasons that will drive you towards change and a better life without the nicotine or any other substance you might be having a hard time to give up right now.
    Winterybella likes this.
  9. emcdonald

emcdonald Member

Quitting smoking is great for your health. It lowers your risk for smoking-related diseases and can add years to your life, this is one of the major reasons I decided to quit. In addition to that quitting my smoking habit has a few advantages such as putting extra money in your pocket, I don't know about you all who are reading this but I love keeping extra money in my pocket when I can. Quitting helps enhance flavors of food and overall make you food taste better because you do not have to worry about the nicotine overpowering you taste buds and you simply get a change to just enjoy your meal. Smokers’ skin becomes less elastic and tends to sag and wrinkle but when you quit it helps the elasticity of your skin become young and vibrant that we all desire. these reasons are as good as any to quit smoking, I did it and you can too.
    Winterybella likes this.
  10. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Back when I smoked and I wanted to quit, it was health dominated. I really felt that it was taking its' toll on things like my overall respiratory health - each winter I would get terrible colds and end up with an awful, hacking cough which I think was exacerbated by the cigarettes. Plus, I think vanity played a part too - I just didn't think I looked as attractive when I was smoking (I felt like it aged me quite a bit!)

The financial side of things was another motivator - cigarettes are pretty highly taxed in my country, so that side of things also helped with quitting. I actually set up a recurring payment from my every day account to a separate bank account to cover what I spent on cigarettes each week. You can imagine after a year how nice that little nest egg was, and seeing the number going up in that bank account was a big incentive to stay away from cigarettes.
  11. GabinoTapia

GabinoTapia Active Contributor

I quit smoking because I knew that I was hurting the people around me. I was getting farther away from my friends and family and I wrongly chose to continue smoking instead of listening to people. If it was not because some of my family members and friends never gave up on me I would of never stopped. I am glad that I am a better person now.
  12. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I've found myself getting big into fitness as of late. Ironic for a smoker, I know. Anyways, my interest in fitness has overcome my desire to smoke. I've quit several times to just go back to it, but I probably go through 10 packs a month now as opposed to 30, which is a good step in my opinion.
  13. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Cigarettes are very expensive. The fact that these things damage your lungs is a reason enough to quit. When I found out what was in cigarettes I decided to stop putting that junk into my lungs. Cigarettes are addictive and hard to quit. I realized these are drugs that you can't even get high from.
  14. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

There are/were multiple very good reasons to quit smoking and no good reasons to carry on. It causes nicotine stains, burns on clothes and furniture, it makes you and your house (if you smoke in it) stink, it's a waste of money and it damages your health. Think of all the positives you gain in life from quitting - it's worth it!
  15. henry

henry Community Champion

The day I decide to quit for good, it will be because I don't like to be dependant on anything. That's the worst part about smoking in my opinion. Having to go out late at night to buy cigarettes because you've run out. Or having to smoke cigarette butts because it's better than nothing, and so on. I just don't like the control it has over me.
  16. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

I think it can be a combination of many factors. However, there are some studies which show that for the larger part of people who successfully quit smoking, the prevailing motivation was financial.. So they valued money more than their health? To me, it's enough that I know so many people who had serious health issues related to smoking. I mean, life isn't easy as it is, why make it even harder by poisoning your body. I'm sure every one of us can find a similar kind of satisfaction in other, healthier activities... if only willing to look for them. ;)
  17. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

I thought my reason for quitting was financial. But I can tell you, I just think of other things to spend the money on. I get a lot more electronics and other things I want now, but could not buy because of my nicotine addiction. I don't buy scratch off lottery tickets that much any more. I think I only bought these when I was working and needed to pass time. I think my main reason to quit was that I wanted to be able to breath better.
  18. MoneyFiend

MoneyFiend Member

I quit smoking to fund a seperate addiction that is reasonably healthy, an addiction to money and business. After a few years of smoking on an irrelevant an unimportant day I just went cold turkey. The first week was a little weird but after that I never looked back.