An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What is your success story?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Waterel, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

Ex-smokers, what is your success story?
    For how much time did you smoke and how did you quit? Did the cravings ever go away? And when?
    Devking likes this.
  2. Devking

Devking Member

I have full control on my smoking habits. I only smoke a cigarette when I take drink but I take alcohol only when I feel lonely and very few times I feel lone. In this way I control on both habits, smoking and drinking alcohol.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I smoked a bit for a while when I was younger, fortunately I never really got addicted to it :) I used to smoke one cigarette every night when I was 8 (I found a box full of cigarettes) years old, but fortunately I didn't get hooked. Sadly later I had to deal with other kind of addictions.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I smoked for a couple of years after I left for college when I was 19, but I quickly sobered up because I couldn't afford to pay rent and smoke as well, plus it was really unhealthy and I wasn't feeling good most of the time. It's probably the most stupid addiction, you're literally setting money on fire.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I only smoked for a couple of years. I wouldn't have even regarded myself as a heavy smoker, but I was already beginning to feel the bad impact on my overall health. When I committed to sobriety from drinking I knew that I had to do the same with smoking too. I did have a few slip ups on the recovery road with smoking (mainly during stressful situations - I often used cigarettes as a coping mechanism for difficult times) but I can happily say I haven't touched a cigarette in years now.