An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What keeps you motivated?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by irishrose, Jan 14, 2016.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Staying motivated to be successful in sobriety is key during recovery. Whenever we are trying to form new habits, the toughest part is the first couple of weeks. Everyone needs something or someone to motivate them during times when you feel like giving up on your goal, whether it's a loved one, your potential future, your career, or anything that keeps you driven to succeed.

What keeps you motivated when you feel like giving up?
    stariie and kassie1234 like this.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

For me I guess I would say it's remembering how far I've come. Even on days where I feel terrible because of things in life that might be upsetting me or stressing me out, I remember that it's been years since I've had a drink - and why would I want to throw that hard work away?

I also think my family are a motivating factor - particularly my husband and child. I want to be the best I can be for them - a great wife and mother, so they can be proud of me. Their faith in me keeps me going!
  3. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I second with @kassie1234, my family is my greatest motivation in staying sober. Whenever I feel like giving in to my urges, I just look at my kid and I begin to feel the inspiration to shove all those temptations away. I think it's very important for us to always think of the big reasons why we are staying sober. No matter what your motivation may be, it's very important to stick to it and lean on it every time you feel like your day is not going the way you wanted it to be. :)
    stariie likes this.
  4. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

People less fortunate than myself who keep on pressing on are a great motivation for me. I often reason if they can do it so can I. Why people here with their stories of struggles and success are a great source of inspiration for me at times.

I just noticed a bit of Gracer's tagline if you will that I find very refreshing. "Life is about love, success, failures and inspiration. These are the spices that make LIFE worth living." I find that quote quite motivating.
    xTinx and stariie like this.
  5. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

My daughter keeps me motivated more than anything else, well, and my pregnancy now. I saw a lot of things when I was younger that I would never wish on a child, and I know that I saw those things because both of my parents were addicts. I wouldn't put my daughter in that position.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

The goal itself keeps me motivated, the thought of improving myself as a person is my main motivation in recovery.
    Winterybella and stariie like this.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Congrats on your pregnancy! How far apart will your little ones be?
    Sounds like you're a great mom who really is setting a wonderful example for your kids! :)
    stariie likes this.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is right, it is important for a person especially in a recovery to keep himself motivated as it could be a long battle for him. My goals in life and people who believe can help me feel motivated.
    stariie likes this.
  9. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

Whenever I feel as though it isn't working for me, I will think about what life was like before I let my addiction take over. I had a completely normal and happy life, and I want to make sure that I am able to have that again. I know that with a lot of hard work and will power it is absolutely possible, so it is something that I am always working towards, and it's what I think about when times get tough.
    stariie likes this.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

God has always been my main source of motivation. Without Him, I wouldn't know what to do with my life. Second to God is of course my family. They are the reason why I always strive harder because I don't want to disappoint any of them. My career, and my future goals also help me stay on track. And yes, my boyfriend, the love of my life, is also my inspiration.
    stariie likes this.
  11. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

My past. Any time I feel like giving up all I do is think about my past. The opportunities I've lost, the relationships my addiction cost me and ask myself whether I'm willing to lose that much again. Though I don't have much to lose anymore, the memories compel me to keep fighting.
    stariie likes this.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

What keeps me motivated is having a plan for the future and the only way up be able to do what I want to do, is if I keep to my recovery.

Many people can use all things for motivation, family, work, future plans. Everyone needs to find that one thing in their life that they can keep hold of and use as the inspiration they need.
    stariie likes this.
  13. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

I love Will Smith's approach--"decide who you want to be".

Make that image so strong and so compelling that you push yourself to keep working for it.
    stariie likes this.
  14. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I think that the first thing that keeps me motivated is prayer. The second thing is journaling and writing down my thoughts and feelings. The "second-second" thing is my son, because he deserves the best. I want to continue to do good for him, because goodness knows we've been through many changes, so I want to stay on track with my goals as much as I can.
  15. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I am motivated by number of facts. I look at my mother and try to analyze the pains she took to give me birth, nurture me, raise me. I look at my father and try to access all the hardship he encountered to support me. My parents are a great motivation factor for me.
  16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

The future, I guess. I'm still relatively young and I have a lot of things going on for me at the moment, if I give up then everything will fail and my future will be uncertain. Even when I don't feel like doing something I do it because I hate failure.
    stariie likes this.
  17. Juanpeace

Juanpeace Active Contributor

Building a better me. If you consider on making yourself as a project or a masterpiece which will you strive for? I will try to make myself a masterpiece although perfection is hard to achieve but the discipline and focus you get from trying to achieve perfection will help make you a better person. If the sky is the limit then shoot for the stars.
  18. stariie

I admire the attitude of even if you don't feel like doing something you do it because you hate failure. I hate failure too, but when I don't feel like doing something, I tend to just ponder it and think about it rather than doing it. Where do you think your "do it even if you don't feel like it" attitude came from? Have you always been like this?
  19. stariie

I suppose I have to re-read even my own posts to stay motivated. I wrote this about a couple of weeks ago, and yet today here I feel kind of down-in-the-dumps, and have not really thought of trying to motivate myself out of it. I guess it is true what "they" say, motivation is like taking a shower... it doesn't last, that's why you do it every day.
  20. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I haven't always been like this, but ever since I got sober I started to introduce small-but-good habits in my life. Doing something you're supposed to do even when you don't feel like it has a lot of advantages in the long-run, I noticed that when I was doing exactly the opposite. I guess pondering if what you're doing is worth it is something more people should think about.
    stariie likes this.