An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What kind of addict am I?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by DTracy3, Jan 27, 2015.

1. DTracy3

DTracy3 Active Contributor

There are different kind of addiction. There's for example the kind of alcoholic who drinks rarely, but if he does, he can't control it and always drink too much, while there are other addicts that need to drink every day. With me, it's like I'm able to control my addiction (mostly weed) pretty good for the most part and if I don't have anything to smoke, I may would love some, but I'm not going crazy over it. However, if I do have something to smoke, I don't show a lot of discipline, since I use to smoke without setting me much of a limitation (only things like I can't smoke now since I got to drive normally tell me to wait) I smoke a lot when I have something to smoke, but I have not much of a problem staying clean if I don't have anything to consume. Anyone has an idea what kind of addict that makes me?
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I wouldn't say you were an addict at all, particularly if you can manage without it. Maybe you need to work on your willpower when you do have it though. When I was cutting down, I would only allow myself a gram or so to smoke that day (I used to smoke the stuff all day, every day) and I found that I would put off rolling a joint until later in the day, to make my "allowance" last.
  3. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I don't think you meet the threshold to be considered an addict as such. You sound like you're pretty much in control and can withstand the temptation to overindulge even when the situation presents itself. Since you have been taking weed for sometime, i can safely assume you're a functional smoker and your addiction isn't fully blown.
  4. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well this is what people do when they have a problem. No self control. No discipline or ability to know when you've had enough. Maybe practice it. Have some and put the rest away. Save it. See how that goes.
    It kind of reminds me of mindless eating. You know when you have a big bag of something like chips or cookies. You just eat and eat until they are all gone. You are talking about the same thing. Like a junk food junkie who once and awhile gets the junk and eats it until it's all gone.
    I don't think they have a name for it. Doesn't seem like you have to have it or it affects your life, too much. But I bet you are thinking about it when you don't have it. So when the opportunity arises you overindulge in it. Gluttony kind of.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Using drugs, it doesn't matter if you are an addict at the present or not, will most likely end in getting dependent on the drug. And once you just must have a drug it will be much harder to stop using it. That's why the moment you realize that you might have a problem [whether you feel you are in control or not] you have to stop abusing that drug before things get worse because once they do quitting will be much harder.
  6. henry

henry Community Champion

What kind of addict are you? None. You're not an addict. If you don't do it every day, and if you don't go crazy when you don't have it, it's not an addiction. All an addict thinks about when getting up in the morning is getting their fix, and they won't be happy until they get it.
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

That doesn't really make you a addict. Most addicts can't go without what there addicted to. I would say you just have to work on self control and not over do it. If you don't go crazy without weed there's no problem. Basically you could put your priorities over smoking if you had to.
  8. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

You are exactly how I picture addicts will be when they legalize it. People will be able to go through the whole week not carrying much about weed, but then on the weekends...It's going to go off. Not bad I guess, since that's usually what happens with alcohol, people associate it more with a social weekend activity than with something to do every day, I mean, everybody knows that a wrong thing to do, if you drink on a daily basis your out of society rules. For today's standards you have a problem, if it was alcohol only on the weekends you would be a normal guy.
  9. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I am not going to say that you are a hardcore addict, but you should be worried bout your health. It sounds like you are using enough to start to do some damage to your liver and to your brain. Try to sleep better, eat right and get some exercise to work out what you are damaging.