An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What kind of drinker are you?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by SuicideMan, Feb 8, 2015.

1. SuicideMan

SuicideMan Member

There are many ways alcoholism can manifest. I am interested in hearing what and when you get your fixes.

• Do you drink daily, weekly, monthly?
    • What kind do you drink? Beer? Wine? Hard Stuff?
    • Do you think you are at the point of addiction?
    • Drink until tipsy or full out black out drinking?

Personally I only drink Friday and Saturday nights, mostly either red wines to get tipsy and loosen up, but there are also nights where I go full out drinking a bottle of vodka each night and frequently have to throw up afterwards. I mostly drink to distract myself from my depression.
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

If I stay busy with work or other activities then I drink maybe monthly. But if I start getting lazy and stay home often, then it's weeky. I can't do the daily stuff anymore. It takes too much out of me and I feel like I haven't accomplished anything.

I just drink beer. Nothing else. If I consume hard liquor I will turn into the Incredible Hulk.
  3. piez

piez Member

I usually drink only on weekends. Mainly Friday or Saturday. Sometimes only one of those days and sometimes both. I rarely get to the point where I am blackout drunk but I normally do get pretty drunk. Beer is my beverage of choice. I have learned from past experience that I drink too fast anyway and with a bottle of liquor in my hands I will down it pretty quickly.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I'm not a big drinker so I just drink for fun nowadays whenever I'm out. However there was a time when I drank more since I hung out with friends who did. I even was able to drink beer early in the morning before breakfast at the time and also most of the time when we would hang out at night usually just playing video games. I never felt to much at risk of becoming an alcoholic though because I honestly never really liked it all that much to get too addicted to it.
  5. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

I drink bi-weekly with my brothers, brother-in-law, and friends, but this was from a daily habit I started when I was a teenager. I used to drink a lot of liquor and malt beer when I was younger, but now I stick to mostly beer and wine. Yes I have no doubt I'm a addict to ethanol beverages, but I too am addicted to life, love, joy, happiness, morality, ethics, Law, philosophy, music, pain, sorrow, death, and whatever a man has to experience in life - moderation is the key to balancing it all, and there's nothing bad or good about drinking so long as no man, woman, property, animals, or myself is harmed or wronged. Ethanol and alcohol are naturally occurring things in nature, in fact, humans make about a shot of ethanol per day in their bodies. And I mostly drink to get a good buzz, but sometimes I black out not from drinking excessively but not having eaten much or anything all day and my body simply shuts my brain down - I now try to eat foods when I drink to deter from black outs or avoid drinking any liquor altogether.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

More often than not I'm a social drinker. I hardly drink unless invited to by friends. Moreover, I don't drink more than two bottles of either light beer or flavored vodka (not more than 5% alcohol content). I also drink red wine on special occasions like birthdays, Christmas, or when there's a cause for celebration.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I'm a 100% social drinker. I don't drink on a daily basis but when I go out with friends, there's a high possibility that we're going to get booze. I love to drink and I love to sit at a table and talk to my closest friends.
  8. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I'm an occasional drinker. I don't really drink if there is no celebration. A lot of my friends are hard drinkers on a daily basis though. That is definitely not good for the liver.
  9. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

Casual, very occasional drinker. Once in a while I'll have a drink, but it depends on who I'm with and where I am and what we're celebrating if anything and what it is exactly being offered for me to drink.
  10. gitosh

gitosh Member

I take alcohol only when available and if there is an occasion to be celebrated. This happens mostly during weekends. It is very rare to get me on a bottle of beer on a weekday but a tot of vodka or a glass of wine does for me. ‘Serious drinking’ is occasional and there must be an occasion which needs celebration.
  11. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I would drink daily if I could and I'm a hard drinker - I can polish off an entire bottle in one evening, but usually try to only go through half of it so I can have the other half for the following day. I would say in general I typically drink about every other day. If I drink several days in a row it will really run me down and eventually I will spend the next day sleeping through most of the day with no appetite for anything because I'm so nauseous. I also have a dull headache the whole day that makes it near impossible for me to concentrate on anything.

I usually drive my friends nuts when I visit them and we're drinking because I'm also a major ice cube junkie, and they will have to make a whole bowl of ice cubes ahead of me coming, lol.
  12. Kim1414

Kim1414 Member

My father had a problem with alcohol and was drunk almost every night. This really turned me off to drinking even at parties. I will occasionally have a glass of beer or wine with my dinner if I am eating out or for special occasions. It really is something I can live without entirely.
  13. 4rainydays

4rainydays Member

I drink sporadically. I'm not addicted but it's usually through peer pressure. I tend to drink beer because it's easier to swallow. I feel like other types of alcohol are too acidic and taste bad when it gets warm. I can usually tell when I'm hitting my limit...which is half a glass. yes I'm really bad at drinking.
  14. DK01

DK01 Active Contributor

I've never actually blacked out drinking - how does that actually happen? For me the process is very straightforward, I never drink unless an event 'compels' me to - say like on my birthday or a celebration of a close friend, otherwise I find that I don't desire it in any way shape or form When I am drinking, I have to stop as soon as I reach my limit, otherwise I get very sick, and the process of actually throwing up drains me of my remaining energy, and then the party is very much over.
  15. paichuu

paichuu Member

Whoa – just a little water yоu say? You’ve probablу bеen experimenting wіth lеss аnd less ice. Now you’re wondering whаt temperature іѕ dоing to the taste оf your drink. Some things taste bеttеr ice cold, sоme don’t. You wоndеr what wоuld happen if уоu juѕt added ѕоme plain water to уour whiskey. Or, іf you’ve beеn hanging оut herе at Pancakes And Whiskey, you’ve read abоut hоw different things affect thе taste of уоur whiskey, оr you’ve read reviews and you’ve noticed ѕоmе people don’t reallу add аnything tо thеir whiskey. So уou start by adding thе equivalent of а couple of ice cubes оf water. Now mоrе of the flavors and aromas оf thе actual spirit arе coming through. By Jove, you’ve found it! But thеn you start thinking again….
  16. JohnBrock

JohnBrock Active Contributor

I'm a social drinker, very occasionally I will have a beer with dinner, but only when I don't have other drinks that I find more fitting. I'll have wine every now and then when my girlfriend and I have cooked an appropriate meal for it. I was close to developing atcleast some degree of addiction to alcohol when I had the introductory days to my college and we were drinking practically every day.
  17. paichuu

paichuu Member

Whoa – just a little water yоu say? You’ve probablу bеen experimenting wіth lеss аnd less ice. Now you’re wondering whаt temperature іѕ dоing to the taste оf your drink. Some things taste bеttеr ice cold, sоme don’t. You wоndеr what wоuld happen if уоu juѕt added ѕоme plain water to уour whiskey. Or, іf you’ve beеn hanging оut herе at Pancakes And Whiskey, you’ve read abоut hоw different things affect thе taste of уоur whiskey, оr you’ve read reviews and you’ve noticed ѕоmе people don’t reallу add аnything tо thеir whiskey. So уou start by adding thе equivalent of а couple of ice cubes оf water. Now mоrе of the flavors and aromas оf thе actual spirit arе coming through. By Jove, you’ve found it! But thеn you start thinking again….
  18. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I only drink a couple nights a week when I really need to unwind. My work schedule is all over the board, so there are no specific days of the week. I am trying to not overdo it, but I have faced some personal obstacles lately and was starting to drink more often. I recognized it and cut back. A couple of glasses of wine does me fine now.
  19. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I usually have a couple of cold beers around once a month, at home. I do enjoy them but I'm not really bothered about drinking more often. I can't afford to drink any more at the moments anyhow, that's probably a good thing really!
  20. I am a social drinker, and rarely ever drink alone. I drink in order to loosen up in social situations because I am a very shy person by nature. My problem with being a social drinker is that I go out frequently, and when I start drinking I have a tendency to binge. I am not an alcoholic by any means, but I have a hard time knowing how much is too much, especially when surrounded by my friends who are also binge drinkers.