An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

WHAT MADE YOU DECIDE TO STOP USING?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Adrianna, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

What were some of the reasons you decided to stop using drugs or alcohol? How things come about in person's life can be interesting. Whether it is someone who means something to you or a stranger.

Maybe looking at what made other people stop would help other people who struggle with it.
    Rainman likes this.
  2. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I agree with you, we should learn and find some inspiration from other people's experiences.
    The main reason for me to stop smoking is my health, my aunt is a heavy smoker and she has been through a lot of issues with her health and I don't want to go through the same experience. Money is also a good reason to quit smoking, cigarettes are really expensive to me, and also you can save it to use it in more productive porpoises without damaging your health and the health of people you care about.
  3. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Just got to the point where it was stop now or stop now because you don't have a choice you know what I mean?
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It was a number of reasons for me. I guess I was sick of using alcohol as a way of numbing the outside world. If I was frustrated, upset, or overwhelmed/stressed, I'd drink. I would drink to try and be someone I wasn't, you could say - I am by nature pretty shy and quiet, but drinking gave me false bravado. I was sick of being that fake person, I felt like I was lying to myself. Plus, I was just worried about my health too.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think everybody as a limit to just how much they can take and when you reach that limit then you just know it's the right time to stop.

Deciding to stop and actually being able to are two entirely different things though, and that's what makes addiction so dangerous in the first place.
  6. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I didn't want to end up dead in some abandoned building or something like that. I was afraid one day they'd call my mom and tell her they found my body somewhere, probably died from an overdoses or alcohol poisoning or both. I guess i was a moment of Epiphany, I knew I had to change and had to do it fast in order to keep on living. Back then I had no real purposes or goals, but the thought of ever having those and have a different life from the one I was already living... made me feel more hopeful :D
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

There are a lot of reasons why people have changed for the better. Probably they realized that life is so much better when they are sober, or they didn't want their families and friends to suffer anymore due to their addictions, or they have been motivated by their faith in God. Either way, it is good to know that they have finally decided to quit substance abuse and move forward in life.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Drugs were starting to take over my life. The only thing that was on my mind all the time was "the fix." Get up in the morning and first thing my body craves is the drug. In 30 minutes . . . more of the drug. And more . . .

That's what forced me to quit. I had to be in control of my life and the only way to do it was by doing what had to be done — stop using drugs.
  9. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Lots of reasons for me, someone of them quite extreme. At one time, I would steal to fund my habit - something I'm not very proud of at all which I would never have even dreamed of doing had I been sober. I got into a lot of trouble with family, my life fell apart and I very nearly ended up in prison. That was the first warning! After that, the years passed my and I saw several of my friends and people I knew end up dead. That was the second warning! Then I began to get in some pretty bad states myself. There have been numerous times when I don't think I've been that far away from death. The last time was extremely painful and was caused by dehydration, along with other factors, and it was pretty harsh. That was the ultimate warning for me.
  10. Adrianna

Hmmm. Interesting I've read a lot of your posts and I would of never thought. Recognizing the difference between right and wrong is a good thing. It's even better to do something about it. This is a good thing.
  11. Adrianna

It's good that you recognized that in order to be in control the drugs had to go. I guess that's what addiction does it controls you, owns you.
  12. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

My substance use has almost always been "out of control," and I've spent a good part of my using days wanting to quit. What made me finally step over the edge and quit? A couple of times fear of dying was the deciding factor. When I was actively alcoholic I had blood alcohol poisoning at least four times that I know of and probably countless times that I don't. Of these episodes one in particular scared me away from drinking for good. It was when I was quite sure that I had finally gone and done it, overdone it that is. I thought for sure I was going to die from the DTs that night early morning. It felt like my head was coming detached from my body and was going to explode into a million little pieces, my heartbeat was irregular and I had chest pains much like the ones you hear described when people have heart attacks. I was seeing things and shaking so bad I couldn't hold things. I got to detox later that day and the person who checked me in was angry because it had taken me so long to get to detox and when I got there I had brought nothing but dirty clothes. They wouldn't give me anything and I suffered horribly all night. The next day, sweat soaked and looking like my face was burned off by acid, I saw the doctor who was alarmed by my condition. He right away gave me valium and gave the support staff heck for not noticing that I was in serious withdrawal. They had noticed all right, they just chose not to help me. Well that experience was enough. I quit. I later went on to use other stuff, again. The reason I finally quit that was because somewhere along the line I got to like myself. I don't know exactly how that happened but I do know that it wasn't because I didn't try to make it happen. I did. Keep on working on yourself and knowing that you are OK just as you are. One day you will like yourself enough to not want to harm yourself. A person who truly likes themselves will not do things knowingly that could easily kill them.
    Proudmomma likes this.
  13. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Luckily, I don't have to "struggle" when it comes to fighting any addictions since I don't have any, and when it comes to weed and cigarettes, even if I have tried it before and even if I did love it for quite some time, my love for it eventually waned in time. Basically what deters me from buying them is I will waste my money, so I think that's a good enough of a deterrent.
  14. kmars

kmars Active Contributor

It's good that you found yourself at the spot where you felt that you had no choice. But the reality of the matter was that you had a choice, and you could have continued to the point where you wasted away. I'm glad you made the right choice.
  15. Proudmomma

Proudmomma Active Contributor

I stopped using when I found out I was pregnant with my first child. I went and got help but honestly as horrible as this sounds I had every intention on getting high when I got out of the hospital. That is until the doctors told me that the blood infection in both my arms was so bad that if I kept using I'd most likely kill both myself and my unborn son and that all the abscesses on both my arms were so bad I was on the verge of needing them amputated. Yeah it was bad, real bad. But I'm happy to say that Ive been clean since August 28th 2010. My son was born feb. 2011, happy and healthy. I now have another son who is 2 months old. So what got me clean was my son and what helps me most to stay clean is both my boys. Without them I'd be dead.
    Momma9 and deanokat like this.
  16. Adrianna

Who does that? Joins a drug abuse forum and puts crazy pills as their profile. I guess its like "off her rocker" profile. Almost like mockery.
    Proudmomma likes this.
  17. Adrianna

Hm. This is some story. The real details of serious alcoholism. They should have been happy you came in at all. The staff didn't want to take responsibility with your state. They could have at least got the doctor on call to see you when you came in. The valium, interesting that the doctor gave that. A sedative. I guess he didn't care about the contradictions of valium. Maybe he knows something the drug studies don't. I guess its ok if a doctor is experienced with it. I don't know its tricky. I would of thought just drink a ton of water and eat some spaghetti. Lol sorry but that's just me. Hot salt bath. The damn valium can be dangerous when you are in this state.
    Well, at least you are here to write about it.
  18. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think learning to love yourself is a big step towards quitting any addiction. Once you have learned to be comfortable with who you are, then there's less chance that you will want to harm yourself with taking substances anymore.

A lot of people take drugs or drink to excess because they want to mask what's really going on in their life. Make that life better, and the need for drugs goes away with it.
  19. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

When I felt like I didn't have control over my life was the reason I wanted to do something about it, and that's when I started rehab. That was probably one of the best decisions of my life, so I'm glad I pulled through even when things were rough!
    pwarbi likes this.
  20. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I stopped smoking cigarettes because I could no longer afford to smoke them. So it was either have food in the house or have cigarettes, I chose to eat. I stopped smoking marijuana because I found out I was pregnant. My unborn child meant more to me than getting high with my friends, so I quit. I have never looked back and I have never had the urge to smoke either one again.