An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What made you quit

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Janie, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

Is there a thought you had at one moment, something that happened, that made you say I have to quit using?

Do you refer to that thought as your reason for quitting, when you are having a rough day?
    pandabear1991 likes this.
  2. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

I actually only smoked cigarettes for about 6 months. While recovering from my Cymbalta detox, I jumped to cigarettes to help with some of the side effects. However, my son was to stay with a friend during my recovery (depression from withdrawals). Therefore, I made a promise to myself that when he was able to come home, I would stop--and I did.

I actually quit by switching over to the vapor. and I haven't thought twice about picking up the nasty habit. I never liked the thought of smoking to begin with, so staying cigarette free should not be that big of an issue. After all, I really hated my breath, I despised my morning fits, and that fact that it costed me more than gas every week...

I don't use my son as a reason to stay clean, even though he was the reason it happened so soon. Instead, I use the negative side effects as a way to remember exactly why I never wanted to do it in the first place.
  3. 6up

6up Community Champion

I realized that i used a lot of money in drugs than development projects, my clothes were getting torn and i rarely bought a new product in my house. My friends and family started to laugh at me, that is when I decided to reduce using drugs. I found out that I was spending more time on drugs than searching for a job.
  4. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Money. People left around me. I nearly died. So many factors played into why I no longer use, but the fact is that I do no longer use. I preach the anti-usage because of the pathways it can set one on, down destruction and living a lot shorter than they should.

That and I wanted to do better.
  5. OGRICHBOI

OGRICHBOI Member

What made me quit was getting into a relationship with the love of my life. She inspires me to become a better me every single day of the year. It's amazing what love can do to you. Also, waking up next to her beautiful face reminds me why I am doing this. Of course, I do it for myself, but she is one of the driving factors behind that.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I use to try and get to work on time and would be in the shower on my knees trying to vomit. That happened a lot. After years of this happening I would sit there in the shower, and I finally had enough if this crap. That is not a life I thought I would have when growing up. It's damn pathetic.
  7. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

I use to wake up in my bed and I would be laying in my own vomit. That's bad when you don't even relaize that you had vomited all over yourself. Those are the time when you have too looks at yourself and say "this is the final straw". That is a slow death. Don't want to do that anymore.
  8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

When I realised that I went from a wealthy person who had a lot of money and peace in my life to a person who was barely paying rent at the end of the month. That made me so scared and from that point on I am still sober.
    A moment in your life can mean a lot in the long run.
  9. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I have never been addicted to drugs or any other substances, so the only time that I thought that I should stop is when I didn't feel like smoking weed and cigarettes anymore. I'm quite grateful for that trait of not prone to being addicted at all.
  10. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

I had a different type of addiction a couple of months ago. It turned out to be nasty. My grades fell, I used to be an A student, but later on, my performance plummeted ridiculously. I couldn't face my parents. That's when I thought I should quit. And I did it.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I was not really an addict before, but I used be sort of a heavy drinker. I now drink alcohol occasionally, just when there is a social event or something like that. I just realized that spending too much money on booze would not make me any happier, but rather miserable. God has also been the reason for this change in me.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I just wanted to be better, really. I wanted a life for myself that didn't involve drinking all the time. I wanted to travel, travel costs money, and at that point in time I was wasting a ton of cash on alcohol. I wanted to have a family someday and I absolutely, positively didn't want a child to be brought into a situation where a parent was drinking all the time - I would have hated myself for that!

Ultimately it was just coming to terms with the fact that I couldn't keep living the way that I was!
  13. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

When terrible things started happening to me, I realized that I was putting EVERYTHING in terms of things happening to me, rather than actively making choices. I’d willingly handed my power over to others, and I needed to take it back, take responsibility for my own life and my own choices. Things have improved so much since I made that decision.
  14. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The addiction was beginning to take control of my life. All that ever was in my mind was the drugs. More drugs. I couldn't live like that any more. I realized that if I wanted to be in control I had to fight the addiction. It hasn't been easy I must admit but I'm making progress [in the right direction].