An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What made you start smoking?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Joethefirst, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Everyone will have a different answer. Whether it was peer pressure or an older figure had cigarette and you would take one without them knowing.
    In my case, I would say that the ads worked. Most of my school friends didn't smoke and the ones that did never tried to impose it on me. My dad smoked at the time, but I never did take a cigarette from him. It was really just experimenting, something that at the time seemed something innocent enough.
  2. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

Initially I tried smoking cigarettes because I was curious. I continued to smoke because of the energy they gave me. I was working and going to school and cigarettes tended to help me stay awake to study when I was exhausted from going to classes and working all day. Cigarettes also helped curve my hunger when I didn't have time to eat. Honestly cigarettes are the one habit/addiction I haven't been able to kick. I quit when I became pregnant but started again within a month of giving birth. It is my goal to kick the habit for good one day very soon.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

For me it was peer pressure to be honest, and that's only because I started smoking when I was around 13.

At that age you have the need to fit in and do what your friends are doing. You dint want to be the odd one out, so you just go along with it.
  4. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

The first time I tried smoking was mainly because I wanted to fit in. I thought it was cool and grown up. All the adults in my life were smokers so It felt natural to me. Surprisingly I have always loved the taste of cigarettes and I have always loved smoking. I wish I had never started.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It was just curiosity. Both my parents and my older brother were smokers and when I came across some friends smoking in the toilets at school, I wanted to try it too. Possibly one of the worst mistakes I ever made in my life. That was 25 years ago and I only managed to quit for good in January this year.
  6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

My friend circle in high school. Sadly, I was the only one who didn't get wasted and smoke a pack of cigarettes a day so I felt out of place. I had to start in order to keep my friendships intact, which was detrimental at a later stage of my life anyway. Kids are really easy to influence.
  7. Waterel

Waterel Active Contributor

Peer pressure and the fact that the girl I was really into back then used to smoke made me start smoking as well. She was always lighting one up while we were hanging out and my curiosity pushed me to it. I started smoking afterwards so that we could have more in common. I still regret it.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

My fiance started smoking because he was stupid enough to smoke one cigarette he found in a cigarette packet. He and his friend smoked them all and basically that is how started. So, yeah, the reason wasn't peer pressure or anything, just plain stupidity. That other guy stopped smoking earlier, but my fiance can't.
  9. ChristianRO

ChristianRO Member

Started in my last high school year. 15/30 of my classmates smoked back then. I had a group of 5 friends with whom I would hang around and skip classes every now and then. We usually went to bars/coffee shops and they all were smoking. Curiosity kicked in and I lit one cigarette one day. I got addicted to that 'adrenaline rush' and smoked more, until I found myself carrying my own pack of cigs.
    It's been 4 years and I still want to quit, but don't know when and how...
  10. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I find people who started smoking because of peer pressure just stupid, as they were not able to stand their ground on their own and they needed other persons approval. Anyway, I started smoking first out of curiosity, and because after the first cigarette I ever smoked, I started feeling like I discovered something different, it was at age 17 and it was a rolled cigarette, so the impact from it on my brain, was even higher than from a normal one. I just continued buying cigarette and re-rolling them after that, I would've smoke 4 to 9 a week, and after a short period of time I have found myself addicted to them.

Anyway, I can proudly say today, that I got over that addiction, and right now I'm looking at it as simply being one stage of my life that I had to get over, I'm 5 months nicotine free and counting.
    pwarbi likes this.
  11. pwarbi

While I mentioned before that peer pressure was the main reason I started in the first place, I managed to stop aswell but not for long, maybe 6 months and then I started again.

Trouble is, I don't even know why I started again, I hadn't even thought about a cigarette up until that point and then one day I was craving one like I had never experienced before, for no reason. I borrowed one off a friend, then on the way home bought myself 10, and I started again. Stupid really...

I guess it just shows that no matter how long you think you've beaten the addition, it's always there somewhere in the back of your mind, well, that's how it was with me anyway.
  12. henry

henry Community Champion

I think I've posted this before, but I started smoking because my father smoked, and I also thought actors looked cool smoking in movies. Most of us just don't realize how much influence TV has on us.
  13. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

At the very first beggining that it was about... seven years ago it was out of pure curiosity, I had seen people smoking a lot and I wondered what it taste/felt like. So I tried it, and it was gross. But about three years after that, highschool began and with that all the social pressure for being cool and acting like an adult also started, so I think that it was a mixture between curiosity and social pressure.
  14. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I'm going to take a second to nit pick the topic title a bit. The truth is, nothing and nobody other than yourself made you smoke when you started. There may be circumstances, reasons, or excuses for making the initial choice, but it probably wasn't forced upon most people.
  15. pwarbi

You could say that about any addiction though, and you'll find that hardly anybody was tied up and forced to start smoking, or made to take that first drink, that first injection, but just because we're not made to, doesn't mean we're bit made to FEEL like we have to.

You often find the ones who say things like 'you've nobody to blame but yourself' clearly don't stand addiction.
  16. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I fully understand it. I just don't have any tolerance for excuses. A big part of recovery for me has to be accepting responsibility for my actions. I'm a blunt no BS kind of guy.
  17. pwarbi

I agree that telling people straight and how it is, no BS is the right way to be. If that causes offence then unfortunately so be it.

In my opinion though, as an ex addict and now somebody who helps in rehab centres covering various addictions, people start abusing or using a substance for many different reason, and one reason is no worse or better than any other.

Addiction affects the mind even more than the body sometimes, and in that person's own mind they know and are ashamed of what they're doing, and of what they've become. Blaming and belittling them isn't going to help but just make things a lot worse.
  18. kingman

kingman Member

I started smoking at the age of 13, after having an issue related to my family.
    I also smoked weeds for 5 years and now facing issues due to these "bad habits" chest pain, throat pain and memory loss are the known symptoms to me due to these habbits