An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What made you start smoking?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Joethefirst, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

When I look back I can say that the reason that I started smoking was because of the TV series and movies I used to watch. The good guys would always smoke.
    How about you what made you start?
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think for me, it was peer pressure + stress. Plain and simple, that combination. A lot of my peers at the time were smoking and sort of glamorized it, and any time anything was stressful for them, they would turn to cigarettes. And it's easy to do when others sadly encourage the behavior.

I only smoked for a couple years before I really noticed it taking a toll on my health so I ended up going cold turkey - I did have a couple of relapses but I'm happy to say I haven't smoked for a number of years now.
  3. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I have always admired people who smoke in a fancy way but never had the nerve to do it because I have decided to donate my organs to those who need transplant when I'm no more. But how would this be possible when I destroy it with smoking? These are the thoughts that help me stay healthy and avoid unnecessary acts.
  4. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Active Contributor

Stress. A lot of stress. At the start, a friend recommended it, tried it out. Kinda got a buzz. After a few weeks, had another and well you see the pattern.
  5. Joethefirst

That is a very noble reason for not smoking. It ended up saving you a tone of money and gave you extra health.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I started smoking when I was 11 years old, my classmate and buddy taught me how to smoke, and then I continued to smoke intermittently up until 2010 where I just stopped smoking completely.
  7. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

I used to be a stressful person back in the years, the only way I found to relax and chill was the cigarette, until I decided to stop smoking and now, I consider myself a free person since that day.
  8. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think it was really all about curiosity. I had family members that smoked cigarettes then people at my high school started smoking. I just really wanted to see what it was like so I tried it. The next thing you know I was smoking all the time, and my friends were too. I eventually found out what was in cigarettes and grew out of this.
  9. Joethefirst

That is the building block, it's so easy to see our roll models smoking and wonder why they are doing it.
  10. CarolinaV

CarolinaV Member

What made me start smoking was stress. I am a student and during the examination period I am under a lot of stress. My friends always have a cigarette when they are taking a break so I decided to join until it became a habit. what really exacerbated my nicotine addiction was that I started smoking everytime I saw someone smoking, whether it was while waiting for the bus or even after a meal at a restaurant.
  11. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

One day, I had a rolled cigarette, I was given the option to either thrown it away, or use it. As I wasn't a guy who would let things go to waste easily, I simply have chosen to smoke it, I remember the high I got over it, I couldn't walk straight because of it. After that, I thought, "oh, how cool" and I started buying myself cigarettes and re-rolling hem after (they were stronger that way), and I would've smoke about 5-7 cigarettes a week. It was only after a few months that I realized how addicted I am, and by then the number also increased to 10-15 a day.

However, today I can proudly say that I got over that stage of my life, finally, after countless tries, I am 5 months nicotine free.