An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What makes people start smoking?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by irishrose, Oct 24, 2015.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

The level of awareness surrounding smoking and the dangers it causes to the human body are well known. Most people today are aware that cigarettes contain cancer-causing carcinogens as well as other harmful substances. Pregnant women who smoke are encouraged to quit due to possible health consequences to the baby. Of course, generations ago, people may not have known about the dangers of smoking, became addicted, and now still struggle with the addiction. However, what causes people of today's generation to start smoking?
  2. Mims

Mims Active Contributor

There are so many factors at work that isolating one cause is hard. From experience, social reasons are a big contributor. I started smoking during my freshmen year at college. My roommate was a smoker and let me have a few. It didn't taste horrible, and other than the slight buzz from that first hit of nicotine I didn't see the appeal. Weeks later, when I went to parties and smoked socially and hung out with a group of smokers, I eventually picked up the habit.

Environment can play a role, too. If you grew up with people that smoked, you may become a smoker later on in life because you are around people that do the same thing. It could have the opposite effect, but I digress. Stress might lead to smoking, but I'v never heard of someone wanting to buy a pack of Marlboro because they were stressed about work.
  3. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

My dad was a smoker and would have a few a day or more on holiday and he would smoke it outside the house which was good, and did not show addiction as he would only smoke in the afternoon after work and after dinner in the colder months. It can be something which causes the person to smoke when they see others use it and try and feel accepted, to their friends, which can happen to some people and the cost can be cheaper in some areas which may make them buy cigarettes. I have never smoked as I do have asthma and would not be good for the lungs to have cigarettes and inhaling the substance inside the body, which would be bad and hope people see the affects of it.
  4. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I think that everyone has a different reason, from peer pressure to simple experimentation. When people start smoking they never think that they will become hooked. Ten, twenty years later, they just hope they could go back in time and not have that first cigarette.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

For me personally it was peer pressure, but these days, with more and more dangers there are that are affected by smoking, I'm not sure if that's the case.

People will have different reasons to start smoking, and even stress can be a trigger to some people.
  6. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

I can only speak for myself on this. In my case I started smoking first out of curiosity, then to be cool and fit in with my friends in college. While I was doing it once in a while on weekends when I would go out with my friends, I 'didn't feel like I was dependent on them, until I started smoking as an escape to problems in my house. I got hooked after that, and justified using cigarettes by saying that at least I wasn't using hard core drugs to escape my problems. In the end I think everyone will start out for one reason or another. I for one am still hooked, and wish I never started smoking.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Kids often do what they see adults doing. Though almost everyone knows that smoking is harmful to their health since they'll see people smoking curiosity will draw them in any way. Why do some adults they know smoke even though smoking is bad for their health? Since most smokers start smoking when they are teens I believe that this is what gets them to start smoking.

For me, when I was younger, I started smoking because all the big boys were smokers. I wanted to be like them.
  8. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I think that there is many reasons why people in today's generation start smoking. Each person probably has a reason that is personal for them. For many people I think that a huge reason is peer pressure. It sounds so cliche, but wanting to be cool and fit in is a huge reason young people start smoking.
    Another reason could be that they have family that smoke. My family smokes, and it just seemed very normal for me. I grew up around it and it was very easy to start.
    I think that the number of smokers is going down. So many people are against it these days, for good reason. We are much more educated then we have been in the past.
  9. Mara

Mara Community Champion

For the generation of today, I can't really say. But as for me, I tried it because I was curious. I think I was eight years old when I had my first taste of cigarettes. I took one from my dad's pack and lighted it up. I tried imitating the way my dad smoked but I just had this bouts of cough. I hated it actually. After that, I never touched my dad's cigarette packs ever again. Then came college. Being in college was fun, but it also involves a lot of stress, especially if you're an engineering student. I turned to smoking to relieve myself from stress. And the rest is history.
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Today's generation is definitely influenced by their peers. People start smoking because everyone in their group does it and they don't want to feel the odd ones out, but there are some people who stay strong and don't get addicted to smoking. Back in the day smoking was kind of a novelty among teenagers, a lot of people were curious.
  11. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I would say a lot of people start smoking when they are young due to peer pressure. Yes people today know how bad cigarettes are for them but at a young age they don't think it will affect them. They don't think of the long term effects. They live in the then and now. By the time they do realize what it is doing to them they are already addicted.
  12. Jordan94

Jordan94 Active Contributor

I think that there are a lot of factors that play into why people start smoking. Things like stress, work, family issues, etc. I do know that the reason my Dad started smoking was because of stress and work. He used to be a really heavy smoker. He would smoke at least a pack a day. He was a smoker for over 20 years until he started having health issues and decided to quit. Now with my Mom it was a different story. She just doing it, which I don't see how anyone could enjoy smoking, but whatever. She didn't smoke nearly as much as my Dad did but she wasn't a light smoker either. So that's what I believe. It's just my opinion on the matter. Have a good day.
  13. Psyduck

Psyduck Active Contributor

Most of them start smoking because of their friends group. They see everyone else smoking and don't want to feel left out. It slowly starts by smoking only in your group and then it takes over your entire life.
  14. aly

aly Member

It is very true that now there are many more commercials and advertisements using different techniques to show that smoking is dangerous to ones health. I believe that the causes for this generations habits of smoking mostly come from above influences at a young age. Such as seeing parents do it, or peer pressure from friends that might be older. I feel like when someone is younger they understand when something is bad, but not to the extent of someone older and mature; such as its bad for your body, but not what it does to your body.
  15. henry

henry Community Champion

We're aware of a lot of dangerous things, but still do it. Why do we do it? Because we see other people doing it. People are fully aware of the dangers of bungee jumping, and still they jump from bridges. It's just human condition. Freud described it as Eros and Thanatos.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think still the same reasons like before. Some of these possible various reasons are: wanting to be cool or be part of a group, wanting to show manhood as other think they are already a man if they smoke, act of rebellion to their parents and out of curiosity.
  17. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Nothing makes them start smoking, they simply just decide to try it for whatever reason. In most cases, it's probably peer pressure and they do it to remain sociable and they end up getting addicted. For others, it may have seemed like a normal thing during their upbringing and others may start believing that it relieves stress. Additionally, many people only ever bother trying it when they are drunk enough to not care and end up getting addicted that way.
  18. 6up

6up Community Champion

Many have been influenced by their peer groups. Availability of cigarettes is another cause whereby you find even children can buy by their own. If one is raised in a family where family members smoke, there is a possibility for him to start smoking.
  19. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Different people have different reasons for smoking. Some smoke because they're running away from something. Others claim it's a way of releasing stress and calming themselves down. A few people believe smoking helps them cope up. Well, for younger ones, it's because they want to join the bandwagon and feel "cool."
  20. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I think people start smoking now (specially the young ones) because they see their friends do it and they think it's so cool. Just last week I was waiting outside a Starbucks and wow, all the kids sitting outdoors were smoking one cigarette after another. I thought it was so sad, because they were damaging their young bodies so badly. I think most smokers start this young and go into adulthood... if they make it without getting some nasty disease.