An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What Makes Prescription Drugs Addictive?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by SashaS, Feb 21, 2016.

1. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I have never been addicted to any sort of prescription drug and I've hardly taken any in the first place as I am seldom ill. What I would like to know from the community is, how and why does one become addicted to prescription drugs? What do they contain that can cause this and what sort of effects do these drugs have when taken excessively? I know that they obviously don't do what illegal drugs do, so what motivates one to take more? I would also like to know how people have access to the drug, as I was always under the assumption that pharmacies would regulate this kind of thing. Thank you for any feedback.
    Deeishere likes this.
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think sometimes people unwittingly become addicted to prescription drugs when they have had an accident or injury. Sometimes they contain potent narcotics like oxycontin and percoset for instance that people can easily become addicted to, and have a hard time being without. I think they give people a sense of relaxation and maybe even euphoria when taken to excess. I mean if you like how you feel on the drug you are going to take more, and your body may crave it. the FDA and the pharmacies can't regulate all physicians and all drug taking.
  3. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

You have asked some very good questions. I am not an expert, but I think people get addicted for the same reasons as any other drug. Pain meds can not only take away pain, but can make one feel really relaxed. I know when I had my wisdom teeth pulled, I welcomed Vicodin with open arms. It totally took away the pain and helped me to sleep. So I know that some people actually had real pain but because they were on the pills for so long they become addicted. Some people may use it to block out other pain (like mental or depression). I read one article a few years back that talked about how people will doctor hop so they can get more. Some people get perscription medication and sell them. With all this high tech. we have something should be set in place to avoid this.

SashaS likes this.
  4. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

There are many reasons that people become addicted to things, and sometimes it more a psychological than a physical dependence. It is difficult to predict what people will be addicted to and when it will happen, but what is important is that we know the signs, so that we can look out for them and then try to get the help that we need as soon as we realise that we have an addiction.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

If someone uses prescription drugs for a long time eventually get physically dependent. I know someone who took some aspirin each day after work and odd though it is, he got addicted. If he didn't take his aspirin he'd suffer from withdrawal.

As for getting addicted to some pain relief meds, it's because they just are addictive. They are very much like Opium . . .
  6. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

From experience of abusing prescription drugs..preferably Vicodin...I just liked the way they made me feel. I would look forward to taking these pills even when the pain subsided. I knew then those pills had to go...it took some will power but I threw them out. I get like this when I am prescribed pain drugs...I don't know how to combat this problem....but I always catch my self in the end.
  7. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I don't think there is anyone reason for the addiction, just like illegal drugs there is never one reason to make a person addicted to a substance. There are certain prescription drugs that are by their nature addictive if taken over a certain period of time. These are very often well controlled and normally there are very small quantities prescribed to the patient.
  8. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

Nancy I am so glad to hear that you had the willpower to just throw them away. I have worked with people who got addicted to pain meds, and I didn't even realize it until they were gone for an extended time to received treatment for the addiction. Pain medication can be very powerful. I wish that they could make pain pills to get rid of the discomfort, without the euphoric feeling.
  9. remnant

remnant Community Champion

When one gets used to a chemical substance with active principles, the result is dependency which opens the door to addiction. Some of the most abused prescription drugs are sedatives and those taken orally to combat insomnia. Patients find that they can't do without them even after recovery.
  10. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I can also say from experience that they are so easily accessible. During a routine doctor's visit without even suspecting a thing it could end up you need some kind of procedure done. It could be minor but you almost always know that there will be a pain relief prescription involved at some point. This is how the cycle could start...so innocent like.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

There could be various reasons why a person can get addicted to it. Maybe to some they think that taking more of it as prescribed can make them feel better faster and without knowingly, getting used to the feeling of being "high"on it.