An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What makes you happy?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Profit5500, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Most of us do not have a lot of time to be happy. Some of us work tirelessly on the job to bring home the money. Other people try not to let lifes worthless problems bother them. There are certain things that can be done to live a long life. Then there are things that can be done to end life shortly. Depending on what you select is would determine whether or not you are going to live long or not. I have not had a very happy life to say the least. I was always picked on by people at school and by my older siblings. I never had a good relationship with my parents like I had wanted during my childhood. I was not involved with drugs nor did my parents do drugs or drank alcohol. My dad comes home from work, but he never really spent quality time with me. My parents usually liked dealing with my older brother which he is the favorite. I have always known that I have been an outcast even at school things bit when it came to making friends. I would always end up being betrayed and left alone. Right now, I am unemployed and I have a high school diploma and an AS degree in Business Administration looking for work and have not found anything for at least four years. I would like to go back to school next year and go for being a pharmacy tech if I get into that. I have always wondered what can I do to make myself happy which I always had bad luck with life. Like things not working the way how I would want it too. What things do you do to make you happy?
  2. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Helping people makes me happy a lot, and just giving what I can to help anybody in need.
    I can't stand when I see people in the 3rd world like African children starving, while
    some rich people don't even know what means going by bus to work is...Very unfair.
    ReadmeByAmy and dyanmarie25 like this.
  3. Profit5500

That is a really good point Lizel about poverty. I cannot stand it either when I see people suffer in those countries and not get any help. Rich people could be so selfish which I at times have to wonder how their life was before they got money.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I would like to help in my own little way as well. I really would love to be a volunteer in these impoverished countries, but I know my parents would never let me do it. I mean, they really care about my safety and we all know that going to these country would mean danger. I just hope someday I'll be able to fulfill this calling of mine.
  5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Sometimes when I'm feeling down or sad I just go out in the nearby park, usually by myself. It really makes me happy and I am very peaceful whenever I spend time in the nature, hearing the water sploosh, animals playing and the wind just calmly blowing giving me a relaxing feeling.

Rain and my favorite music are also a good therapy for me!
  6. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

Being around my children ALWAYS makes me happy. But I don't see them everyday like I would like. On those other days taking care of my animals does it for me. I know they depend on me and I know they love me. They get so happy when they see me first thing in the morning that it makes me happy, too
  7. Femiluv

Femiluv Active Contributor

Being around children makes me happy. Volunteering in the community makes me happy. Eating good food makes me happy. Watching my favorite TV shows makes me happy. Being with my bf and family/friends makes me happy. I feel pretty blessed to be able to find a lot of happiness from many different things and places.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

To be honest nothing I do ever makes me happy. Rather it's what I give that brings me happiness. People are so selfish these days that it's hard to find someone generous. I love giving. Anything. My time. My skills. As long as I make someone happy [even for a little time] that makes me happy.
  9. Profit5500

What kind of good food do you prefer to eat Femiluv? I like eating fried rice, french fries, pizza, hamburgers, and any kind of seafood. Even if I eat a burrito that would make my day too.
  10. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

My son makes me happy, he is full of love and funny to be around. I enjoy helping other people and not worrying about life makes me happy.
  11. Profit5500

That is so wonderful to hear E.Mil he makes your day which is very positive. I do not know if I want to have kids yet since I am not yet in that spot where I can provide for a child. When I do get there financially speaking then that would change my decision on having kids.
  12. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

That would be a great thing to do and it would help those children/people a lot. Every hand of help is needed there.
    But if you're parents don't let you go there and you're under 18 years old you could be a volunteer somewhere else.
    For example in an animals shelter or in a homeless people shelter.
  13. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

I actually had an epiphany when it comes to happiness a few months ago.

So, when I started weightlifting I could only deadlift 115 lbs. I thought that once I had deadlifted 315lbs I would reach some new level of happiness. I deadlifted 315lbs three weeks ago. I still have the same level of happiness I did before deadlifting 315lbs.

When I was in high school, I thought that once I was in the dorm room of my new college I would have a new level of happiness that would be long lasting. I'm a 3rd year in college and I have just about the same level of happiness as I did before I went to college.

I realized that I could not base my happiness on external goals and achievements. Similarly, you cannot allow people or events to dictate your happiness, because you have it within yourself to immediately be happy despite your situation. For example, as soon as you wake up, you can think, "I'm going to be happy today." It's really that simple.

Happiness is your choice. It always was. It always will be.
    Lizel likes this.
  14. Rodrigo1337

Rodrigo1337 Member

I love seeing other people laugh and be happy. That's what makes me happy. Sometimes I get carried away and look like a fool, but I live off of that genuine laughter(not so much the laughter AT me >.>).
    Winterybella likes this.
  15. thisizznaveen

thisizznaveen Active Contributor

Spending time with friends and go for a long drive with friends make me happy.Whenever I have free time I love to spend time with friends.
  16. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Doing the things I love to do and just allowing myself to be myself in general makes me happy. I think most people are just too caught up in having to adjust themselves to what others expect and I believe it only makes people miserable and in turn they pass it on to others. I personally choose not to burden myself with these norms, especially ones I consider to be fruitless and baseless.
  17. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I believe we all have time to be happy in most things we do. I work a stressful job, but I remain happy through it all. I feel that if I am visibly unhappy it only makes things worse. I laugh and joke when I see other people upset and it usually helps. It's been shown that the process of smiling alone releases 'happy' endorphins in the brain.
  18. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

@Nick Anthony
    You made a very good point there, too many people base their happiness on different goals and achievements.
    They say something along the lines "If I'll get that and that score in my next chemistry test, I will be happy and proud of myself", they are happy for a few minutes, but then they forget about the whole goal and live like they lived, so in the same level of happiness. You are so right saying that happiness is just your choose, you can choose, today, tommorrow, in a month, in a year or never. It just depends on a split second decision, it really does. To many people base their happiness on their looks for example, they say that if they look a certain way then they will be happy with how they look and their confidence level and self esteem will raise, that's bullcrap, because after reaching the desired look they are stuck in the same level of happiness. If you won't realize this you will be stuck in such a process.
  19. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

Another thing I forgot to mention was that choosing to be happy is very difficult. I think that choosing to be happy is like a muscle. A lot of peoples' happiness muscle is very weak, because they allow external things to dictate their happiness. Instead if you decide to be happy in the face of adversity, then it's like doing 1 rep in your happiness workout. You'll become stronger because of it. @Lizel
  20. Sydney R

Sydney R Member

Personally, what makes me happy is being with family and friends that I love dearly. My family and friends are what keep me going in life and whenever I need a reason to push through, I look to them.