An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What Makes You Smile?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by springbreeze, Nov 3, 2014.

1. springbreeze

springbreeze Active Contributor

I think it's important to think continuously about the things that make you smile and the moments that were really happy and funny for you.

What makes me smile? Giggly babies, cuddly puppies, kind gestures, when the boy I like asks me out, first dates, genuine laughter, comedians, squirrels and family.

What about you??? :)
    amethyst likes this.
  2. LifeOrDeath

LifeOrDeath Member

I found that being in a relationship makes me a more happy person overall.

The thought of someone being there for you is amazing. And you always want to improve yourself when you are in a relationship so that helps out a lot.
  3. mdaudali

mdaudali Member

A simple compliment would make me happy, especially from a stranger who doesn't actually need to make me happy. Hanging around with friends or date are fun since you just unwind from all the stress of the day and for those few hours, you're just free.
  4. springbreeze

@LifeOrDeath @mdaudali Relationships, random simple compliments, hanging out... These things make me smile too. Actually, they make me really happy. :D

I guess this is why it is very important for us all to choose carefully the people we surround ourselves with. A lot of suffering and sadness can be avoided if we choose our friends and family-friends wisely.
  5. Dinofossil

Dinofossil Member

My cat is the thing that makes me happiest, his simple joys of being pet and held, and his adorable face. His purring helps me when I need a friend, and I know he doesn't judge me beyond my petting abilities. Sam helps me when I'm feeling bad, and is my favorite thing on Earth to hold.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  6. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

The simple things in life make me smile. Things like seeing a seed germinate because I know one day it will give me food. Looking through my window when it's raining makes me smile because this means I will have water.
  7. calebmelvern

calebmelvern Member

I'm the type of person who smiles at the silliest of things. I also find that nothing brings me more joy when I am being of help to others. It's the best feeling in the world. Whenever I feel down, I would go out, do some charity/volunteer work, or simply give food to the poor people living in the streets. This always reminds me that I'm still fortunate for being in the situation I'm currently in, no matter how difficult it may be.
  8. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

I smile at stupid things. Are sometimes I smile while thinking stuff out in public.
  9. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Knowing that it's up to one's attitudinal response to events, is truly what determines the way a man/woman lives - this makes me smile because most people ruin their life because they have bad attitudes and respond adversely to a better way of living. Every man or woman, is the author of their own life, and any who doubt this fact is lost in mind... and possibly has a bad attitude.
  10. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Whenever I'm feeling down in the dumps I always just look up some nice videos on YouTube. They don't necessarily have to be the inspirational type with quotes flashing and with cheesy background music. I get a lot more uplifted just seeing real moments in the world that are able to remind me what it's all about, like seeing pets and children playing or just some simple but good moments in humanity like people taking time out of their lives to give joy to others. I do it this way because I think the internet has a lot of good and bad effects as well as content, and I think we all would be remiss if we don't use it to see the good in the world.
  11. Krrizal

Krrizal Member

On bad days, I take to my crafts. I knit and crochet all kinds of stuff, mostly to donate to charities and organizations. But sometimes, I keep something small for myself. Whether it be a tiny crocheted flower or a granny square doily, I am constantly reminded that it was me who made that item. I may have faced challenges, but I can create something new and beautiful with my hands.
  12. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Seeing the little miracles that happen all the time around me always makes me smile. And playing with Bobcat (see avatar). He is the funniest, cutest cat and he loves me so much. He purrs like crazy when I pet him and he loves to be manhandled and hugged.
  13. springbreeze

I do the same many times. If I'm online when I realize today is not a good day for me, I take a break and have fun on YouTube. I love watching those cute animal clips that are so popular now - dog hugging cat, baby hugging dog, and etc. I also like watching dance performance videos. Good choreography and talent really uplift my mood.
  14. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

The things that make me smile are being around my niece and my family and friends. I love spending endless time with them and I love making memories with them. Other things that make me smile are my little kitty and spending time alone entering contests online and just surfing the net with my ear phones in and favorite songs blaring.
  15. shandrum

shandrum Member

I smile the most when I'm talking to my mom and she comes up with these really off the wall remarks. It can be a remark or statement that other people may make and it's not near as funny. But, when my mom says it, it just makes me laugh:) It's really funny when I call her and I ask "what are you doing?" She'll say, "you really don't want to know." I'll come back and say, "yes, I do!" She's says, "well, I'm on the toilet":eek: I always, without a doubt, tell her "she's right, I didn't need to do know that." o_O It happens all the time. I just hope I'm the only one she does that to duirng phone conversation...
  16. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

What makes me smile is playing video games with friends. Yup, I said it. Being in that moment in time takes me away from the real world pressures and addictions.
  17. popcorn365

popcorn365 Member

Books. I will smile anytime I am near books or reading them. I love reading to my kids and especially love reading the stories my six year old comes up with for me to read. These things always make me smile.
  18. sadiemarie

sadiemarie Member

My niece really makes me smile. Being in love or around family and friends usually puts a smile on my face. Writing a gratitude list always seems to help me too.
  19. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

That is a really nice question. :) I wish someone would ask me that every day, so that I remember to smile more.
    What makes me smile is when a total stranger in the street smiles at me for no apparent reason. Actually, it makes me inexplicably happy. Perhaps it's the fact the I feel really acknowledged as a human being by another human being.
  20. Acube

Acube Member

That is a simple yet powerful question that goes deep into our thoughts. Kind words, observing Creation. Like animals caring for their young, thinking about my early years in life, old photographs, seeing children do the simple things in life. Like saying their first words or completing a very hard task etc..