An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What motivated you to quit smoking ?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Devking, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Devking

Devking Member

This was my friend story. He successfully quit his smoking habits. But some time before he was a smoker who smokes many cigarettes daily. Some sweet words of his daughter make him to quit smoking. Her daughter said her to stop smoking cigarettes when he was smoking in his house. My friend who loves his daughter very much get motivated it with and stop smoking after that.
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

When I realised how much better some of my friends' lives were simply because they chose a better lifestyle than mine. I decided I need to quit before I damage myself even more, it was probably one of the best decisions I've ever made. I'm still struggling from time to time, but it's worth it.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Honestly I just started to feel the effects on my health more and more. I was short of breath, I was constantly coughing up gunk, and of course there's the financial impact too. Knowing just how much money I was throwing away on cigarettes motivated me to work towards quitting.
  4. 6up

6up Community Champion

Before I stopped smoking - after smoking for almost three years - I used to waste a lot of time smoking with friends. I came to think about the effects of smoking after I started breathing heavily and coughing. That made me quit jogging in the morning as I used to. I later read an article which highlighted on the number of people who die out of smoking related illnesses. That made me change my mind about smoking. I started avoiding all my friends who could offer to buy me free cigarettes. That saw me successfully quit smoking.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I quit smoking 25+ years ago, right after my first son was born. That was the motivation I needed.
  6. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I hope the same thing happens with my fiance, because right now I don't think he will be stopping anytime soon. He is not motivated to actually want to quit. I truly hope that after our first child he does that.
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

One thing that motivated me to quit cigarettes was what was in it. Cigarettes have so many chemicals in them these days it isn't just tobacco. Smoking has basically killed most of my family members. After noticing all the bad with no good that comes from smoking cigarettes I saw it as pointless. Thanks for sharing this story.
  8. Oris

Oris Member

After temporarily quitting while I was pregnant with my children I felt so much better. I knew last month when I was thinking about it this would be the case again. Now I am four weeks smoke free and even though there are rough patches, I feel better knowing I don't have any cigarettes, and I don't want to spend the money on them. In addition, my son and daughter had been saying "Mommy when will you be done blowing smoke so you can play with us?" This really sealed the deal, I have to be here for them!
  9. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I stopped smoking because at the time I could no longer afford the cost of a pack of cigarettes. I had to make a choice between food and other necessities over my desire to smoke. Of course, life's necessities won out. I have never regretted quitting and I am glad that my children never seen me smoke.
  10. Hozyboy

Hozyboy Active Contributor

I remember the same exact thing happened with my dad. I told him to quit drugs and he asked me to chose which he should stop. Alcohol or cigarettes. I chose cigarettes and the following day he just stopped.

I guess smokers know that what they are doing can harm the people around them and a little motivation can cause them yo stop. He also told me he stopped because one day he was climbing the stairs and he felt a sharp pain in the chest and thought to himself "If my own money is hurting me this much and killing me then I will not accept to be killed by it"
  11. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Tо gеt mоtivаtеd, yоu nееd а роwеrful, реrsоnаl rеаsоn tо quit. It mаy bе tо рrоtесt yоur fаmily frоm sесоndhаnd smоkе. Оr lоwеr yоur сhаnсе оf gеtting lung саnсеr, hеаrt disеаsе, оr оthеr соnditiоns. Оr tо lооk аnd fееl yоungеr. Сhооsе а rеаsоn thаt is strоng еnоugh tо оutwеigh thе urgе tо light uр.
  12. blenly

blenly Member

I really wanted to stop smoking for a long time, but I never actually did anything about it. I would tell myself this will be my last cigarette, this will be my last packet but I never followed up. I don't think I really wanted to quit. I told myself that I did but it never happened. I finally gave up after realising how much better off I could be with out the habit. I'd be better off financially and health-wise too. I was starting to get out of breath from walking up stairs and money was becoming tight.
  13. Min

Min Active Contributor

I quit smoking 10 years ago after smoking for a long time - and starting really young. It was a combination of living in a state where cigarettes became ridiculously expensive (15 bucks a pack!) and I couldn't see spending money that way. So first I just started cutting down so they would last longer. Then, when places started banning smoking, I couldn't smoke as many places socially. So I wasn't able to just pull one out at will. Finally, I married a man who didn't smoke. And while he really had no problem with me smoking every now and then, I didn't like doing something he chose not to do. Somehow all those things just made me cut back more and more, till eventually I was barely smoking at all. Finally I just didn't bother buying a pack to see how long I could last with out one ... and now I never smoke.
  14. achexx84

achexx84 Active Contributor

I actually am in the process of quitting. I have converted over to vaping with a basic vape pen, and it's only been a week, but I'm down to 1 or 2 cigarettes a day as opposed to half a pack. I love my nails (as girly as that sound) and I started to notice that my nails were turning yellow. I also noticed that my hair was looking dry and dehydrated, and I just had this constant itch in my throat. After this most recent pollen attack we've had, I could hardly breathe. So I said enough is enough. Vaping I can do in my house, it's save me so much money already, and my nails, hair and skin look so much better. My teeth feel better and the stains are starting to lift. I know it sounds all cosmetic, but that's what got me motivated. I want to stay young looking for as long as possible. I give myself another week before I kick them completely. *fingers crossed*
  15. blenly

blenly Member

Wow it seems like you found it easier that most people do. Did you have problems with withdrawals or did the reduced smoking before hand stop that happening to you? Congratulations on getting off them!
  16. Min

Min Active Contributor

Thank you blenly! I actually didn't have any problems with withdrawals, but I think that's because I just kept cutting back, cutting back, cutting back. And truthfully, I probably would never have started cutting back if the price had stayed the same, if I could have smoked everywhere, or if I had married a smoker! In fact, I might have smoked more! I had heard for a long time "If you smoke a pack a day, go to 19 ... then after a few weeks, go to 18" and so on. I never actually tried it that way. It was only when outside influences forced me to, that it worked. Also, I would say it took a few years for me to completely kick the habit. But I went from a pack a day to a pack a week to a pack a month to none at all. So, it was a slow process, and maybe too slow for some, but definitely permanent and no withdrawals!
  17. blenly

blenly Member

Fantastic! I managed to cut down a lot, however for me that took a long time. Back in October when I moved here to Spain I was still 20 a day. Up until I quit last month I managed to get that down to about 6 a day and from there I just went cold turkey. I put my foot down and stopped buying cigarettes. I didn't carry my wallet or bank card with me for a few days either to make sure I couldn't just go and buy cigarettes. It has worked out really well in the end. Less than a month later and I already feel better. I have a horrible cold at the moment and I still am less out of breath after walking up the stairs than I was this time last month!
  18. Min

Min Active Contributor

Sounds like you really are doing a terrific job! Good for you! And it's wonderful to see the health benefits - I loved seeing how taking a deep breath didn't hurt anymore ... seeing how I could dance to an entire song without having to sit down ... or just run for a train or bus and actually catch it! Yes, the benefits of not smoking are well worth it. Congratulations on your progress!
  19. aimeep80

aimeep80 Senior Contributor

I needed surgery for weight loss. My surgeon told me he would not do the surgery if I was still smoking. I wanted to quit anyway, but had tried and failed many times. Well, I decided to go with a local program that gives free nicotine patches. I did the patches for a couple of weeks to lessen the cravings and I got sick one day with pleurisy and felt so bad that I forgot to put a patch on. I decided to just stop using the patches as well.

I did it....this was about 5 months ago. I do not crave them at all and the smell of them make me very sick. I can't believe I was a smoker for so many years. It is such a good feeling to not feel the need to smoke. I do not cough and hack like I did and my sense of smell is much better. Food tastes better as well (which isn't the best thing being as I had surgery for weight loss..lol). I am very happy and hope that my lungs are healthy..they have to be better than they were surely.
  20. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

Personal health. I've been smoking for 3 years, now I'm smoke free for 2 months :)
    Second thing that motivated me was the money I've spent on tobacco.
    aimeep80 likes this.