An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What pushed you to stop?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Carrara, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Carrara

Carrara Member

There have always been smokers in my immediate family, and all of my best friends were always smokers. Already before I started smoking, my image of myself was as a smoker. My first cigarette was around 5, and I had stolen a cigarette from my father - mimicking the motions basically. I didn't start until 14, and by 19 I would smoke around 2 packs a day if my financial situation would permit. I would buy alcohol and cigarettes first, so that I wouldn't run out on money buying food and paying bills!

In recent years I have 'played' around with the thought to quit. I want to quit - I really do - it's just that I want to smoke. I quit smoking a few times when I had pneumonia . there were moments where I coughed so much I could barely breathe - much less smoke. I would steal a puff from friends, and as soon as the worst would be over I would be chain smoking again.

One of these days, I want to become a mother and I know its a habit I would like to give up sooner than later - but I don't seem to find the thing which will push me over the edge and 'make me' quit.

How did you decide that this was the time to quit once and for all?
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I shouldn't say "stopped" as I'm still in the midst of quitting, but for me it was the rough shape my lungs were getting in. I'd wake up coughing, leaving me tired and grouchy the follow day, and my stamina (when working out, among other things) was starting suffer a lot. Getting worked up from walking up some stairs is not the life for me.
  3. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Health problems, and the disappointment my parents felt caused by me (I started smoking at the age of 13).
    I decided to quit now while I'm 15 years old, my cough is so annoying and drives me instance.
    We will see how this will work out and how much time I will manage without cigarettes.
  4. 6up

6up Community Champion

My father died from cancer, so I had a reason to quit smoking. I have read articles that highlight how smoking is dangerous. Advertisements about smoking effects have encouraged me not to think about smoking again.
  5. 13toomany

13toomany Member

Boy this is a forum I can sink my teeth into I believe! I came from a family of smokers. At least both my parents and most of my siblings smoked. I started smoking myself at 17. Back then (yes, I'm kinda an old timer), it was the thing to do You weren't "cool" if you didn't smoke. Well, like most, I became addicted and before long was smoking 2 packs a day. To make really long story shorter, both of my parents eventually died of cancer. My mother was first with brain cancer but her cancer started in her lungs, and 5 months later my father passed away from lung cancer. You would have thought this would have been enough for me to quit. NO......like most, I kept thinking I will quit one day. Well, that one day came, and for me I'm not really sure what caused me to do it other than I was sick of feeling sick. My breathing had become so bad that I was on 2 inhalers per day. I woke up on Mother's day and said "This is it"......."I'm done"......and with that I started on the e-cig that my daughter told me about. That didn't last long......less than 30 days and I stopped it all. I say that God must have been pushing me this time because all the desires to smoke were gone. I have been free from that vice for over 2 years.
  6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Both of my grandparents died from lung cancer due to intensive smoking, so that was a big factor in my decision of quitting smoking. Another thing that made me realise how much I'm missing out on is the fact that I was wasting a lot of money on cigarettes, which I could've spent on other things.
  7. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Even though I never was a heavy smoker, smoking affected me in many ways. At one stage I felt like a slave cigarettes, and I started contemplating how a few strands of tobacco every so often can have such a profound effect on me, so much so that I have to think about them every few hours. I got tired of feeling that kind of "empty burst" of energy every time I lit up. The first few puffs made me feel good, but after that I always felt a sort deep bone tiredness about everything. I only got to fully understand and analyze that feeling after I gave up smoking. Cigarettes acted like an emotional painkiller to me.
  8. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Interesting, it's really hard to quit, maybe your desires of becoming a mother could help you, good luck!
    I was/am a smoker since about four years, at the beginning it was a fun and relaxing thing to do, it's going to sound stupid but I think that what I enjoy most of smoking is the way that smoke looks, I think it's beautiful. But then I started to spend more and more money on cigarettes, my clothes started to smell really awful and I didn't wanted to be dependent of cigarretes, I'm stronger than them! A friend quit smoking after 7 years and he was really inspiring for me, so that was a big motivation to keep me up with my decision!
  9. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

I been smoking for more than 2 years, that's not a long period for you guys but know that I smoke between 20 and 40 cigarette a day ! that's a lot I know, I used to be a good footballer, but now I can't even run 100 meters ! also I'm losing a lot of weight those days because I just can't eat as I should ! Even in the night I can't sleep because I always need to smoke another cigarette, I just got enough, I'm caughing a lot, my lips turned to dark color, I just think it's time to stop and get back my life ...
  10. recovered

recovered Member

I always smoked on and off from the time I was a freshman in high school. When I learned I was pregnant I quit cold turkey; it was and is hell but I have gone a year without smoking. My daughters health was of more value to me than my own enjoyment. Surrounding yourself with people who don't smoke and absolutely hate it will help tremendously on your own journey to quit.
  11. rightct

rightct Community Champion

My own will. Had I not had it, I wouldn't have been here to relate. I was really afraid I'd intercept serious health issues at the time, which is why I decided to stop before it would've been way too late to stop. I managed to quite easily. No treatment, no ecigs... just my will.
  12. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

So sorry to hear you are in such a predicament, Carrara. I'm not a smoker and have never been, but I am no stranger to drugs and alcohol. The thing that pushed me to quit those two things was the desire to become a better person and not end up dead somewhere. I knew that I had to stop or I'd end up dead, it was a matter of life and death, plus a lot people tried to help me... they told me things that made me realize life is worth living it and I was practically wasting it.

So I decided to turn my life around and say: ''No more''. I said so and I did it, I din't stop until I was both alcohol and drug free. Now I'm both alcohol and drugs-free, and working on setting myself free from a sugar addition. There is always hope :) You have to find your own reasons and fight hard for your dreams.