An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What Quote/Self-Affirmation Do You Repeat To Keep Your Head Up?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by bluedressed, Jan 16, 2015.

1. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Sometimes when it feels like there is just chaos around and my head starts to get filled with dark thoughts and it feels like I've given up, it seems like the quotes I've heard before are the only thing that can break through the headache and give me some clarity.

A lot of the times, it is something as simple as "Breathe. One breath at a time", to keep the panic away and to regain my senses.

Other time, I just remind myself "Be kind. Be fair. Do not make rash decisions in this state. If you have to make a life changing decision, wait until tomorrow."

We should not trust our darkness to guide us -- I've been an idiot too many times and let it do just that, in turn hurting me and others.

What do you tell yourself repeatedly, as a life-line, to get you through tough times?
  2. Parassd

Parassd Active Contributor

I close my eyes, take a deep breath and meditate. When that doesn't work, I try to talk myself through it, making myself aware that this is a test of willpower, listening to music like eminem which give me the strength to not give up and not be a quitter, no matter how bad I want to. Listen to Eminem's lose yourself, no love, till i collapse, going through changes, talking 2 myself, guts over fear, 8 mile, run rabbit run, no apologies. These songs really help me out when I'm low, and I hope they will to you too. :D
    Let's stay united and fight substance abuse. God bless
  3. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Affirmations must be made not only on a daily basis, but with emotional content too, otherwise it's a dry logical process that will not effect one's so-called sub-conscious i.e. which I call the omni-conscious, because it's the part of the human mind that is directly in link to the impressions humans feel and sense and not filtered like reason.

My top three general affirmations are these:

Know thyself.

I am the author of my life.

Imaginations and dreams do come true, but only if one apply them!

For top quotes, I use these:

"Know thyself." Socrates or Oracle of Delphi.

"I am the result of everything that once was, hence, I can influence to change everything that shall be!" Me.

"Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do." Bruce Lee.
    bluedressed likes this.
  4. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

I love saying this" I will love myself as he loves me." I am a christian and this keep me going in all times. We all have our own little saying that keep us going. Find what makes you happiest. You should always love yourself first and foremost and everything else will fall into place.
  5. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

"Be strong now, things will get better. It might be stormy now, but it can't rain forever." I have always loves this quote. It has always helped me keep holding on and it adds a lot of truth for me. Things ALWAYS get better, and the feeling that you are feeling will NOT last forever.

Another one I love is "Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened." I have always loved this one too. It has taught me to never regret anything in life and to always try to take whatever positive from any situation that is possible. It also encourages me to make positive memories with people I love :)
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't really repeat quotes as much as I just try and calm myself down. I try and remind myself that whatever anxiety I am feeling will probably pass and if not I should just continually seek solutions for it instead of allowing myself to feel defeated because I know everyone has the capacity to get over obstacles.
  7. angelicagapit

angelicagapit Active Contributor

I don't have a specific quote to share, however I do have a song that I sing in my head especially when I'm feeling down.

I sing "Last Hope" by Paramore, which is a song about how people always fail and want to give up, but you have a certain 'last hope' to start again. You know 'it's going to happen'.

"It's just a spark, but it's enough to keep me going."

You never stop until you get it.
  8. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

I'm awesome.
    I will make it.
    Everything is temporary.
    Really, remember how awesome you were in that situation?
    I can do it !
  9. romananthonysmama

romananthonysmama Active Contributor

My biggest issue has always been anxiety that sends me over the edge. I often just tell myself, "Yes this is hard. However, at least you have the tools to deal with it, and you are still alive and well." I try to remind myself to be grateful, because even if I'm dealing with a lot that makes me anxious, at least there is help out there, I have a roof over my son and I's head, and I have the tools and resources to help me through.
  10. juno

juno Community Champion

I like to meditate, but it always helps to meditate on one positive thought. I think this one by Hellen Keller is very powerful: "Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow"
  11. bluzkluz09

bluzkluz09 Active Contributor

REM's song "Everybody Hurts" I play this song when I'm feeling low. I also say to myself "One day at a Time." It's a song and I think about the lyrics. I have to take it one day at a time. Today may not the best but I have to give thanks for today and let's see if tomorrow will be better. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. There's nothing wrong with the day but instead how I'm feeling. Somedays I feel like nothing is worth it and other days I'm trying to make up for everything I didn't do. The sun rises and sets and I have ups and downs too.
    bluedressed likes this.
  12. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

That's so true! I remember watching a guru talking on YouTube and he was like, "Your mood is the only difference. Think about those days when you are happy. Everything seems more bright, and the annoying things don't matter! You let what could bother you slide because you are happy. But on the days when you are unhappy, the whole world is grey and everything annoys you. It could be the same situations; the only difference comes from how you feel."

Those were not his exact words, but what I remember from it. And how true! It truly comes from our perspective; how we feel is determining how we live the world.