An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What the law for sharing prescription drugs?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by traitornevercomeback, Jul 6, 2015.

1. My father passed away last year. My mom is thinking about giving his prescription drugs (oxycotton, other pain drugs) to my uncle. I'm sure thats not legal. I'm wonder if its a felony, and/or what fines/jail time would be expected.
  2. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

It's not legal at all. Transferring controlled substances to another person is distribution (felony). Oxycontin is highly regulated. The police may not find out about it, or if they ever did they might go easy for a first offense (probation, fine, etc). But if he ever took the pills, say drove his car, killed someone etc than a higher degree of responsibility might come back to the person who supplied the drugs (if they find out), family member or not. the same is true if your uncle overdosed, gave the drugs to someone else, a child got a hold of them. Handing out dangerous narcotics carries a lot of potential liabilities. I would NOT recommend it!
    Mzpeaceful1 likes this.
  3. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

It is COMPLETELY illegal!!! A friend of my husbands Mom just passed away in their home recently. He was 44 but very ill. He had OxyContin, Percocet and other's that were his and his only to take. We surrendered it to the police that responded to the initial call that he had stopped breathing. The officer and us thought it would be a smart thing to do just in case for some reason the question of where all of these very strong, dangerous narcotics were so we all thought it best to just get them out of the house

I would think that if your mom was caught she could get into a serious trouble. She needs to *legally* get rid of the medication that is let.
  4. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

It's not legal, but I wouldn't worry about being "busted by the cops". It's no big deal when she's not selling them or giving them to many different people
  5. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

Its completely illegal and I think its a felony. But theres pretty much no way your mom would get caught. And they probably wouldn't bother prosecuting unless it was a very high amount.
  6. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

I'm not sure if it's illegal. But even if it is, who is going to rat that out?

I will say this much though, a prescription is given to an individual and THAT individual ALONE. Your uncle taken stuff that wasn't prescribed for him can have very bad consequences.
  7. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Member

You are not supposed to share prescription drugs because they are prescribed to that particular person. I think it is illegal to share drugs and it should not be done because again a drug is prescribed to a person for a reason. I think though, as others have said, that it would be something that someone might not catch easily.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not know about the rules or laws about that in here but I also think it is illegal. It is not right to give prescription drug to someone who might not have the same health problem or condition of the person originally had the said drugs. It may cause health problems as well as legal problems if caught without the proper prescription.
  9. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I have gotten meds from friends before. Not like all the time, but just when I had a bad toothache. I have given some to friends before again maybe twice. I don't think it's a good idea to give a lot of them to anyone especially if you know they may have addiction problem or going to try, and sell them.
  10. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Lol. Mom should throw them out. Flush them down the toilet. Why would anyone want prescription drugs from someone who just died? No matter what the cause was.
    Mom's a pip. There is better things to give away than that. Maybe your uncle will give her money for that. Lol, oh boy. I think as long as nobody says anything or reports her. I just don't see the point it's garbage. Dad could have put anything in those bottles. You just can't be sure that it is what it is. It's better not to take a chance.
  11. 6up

6up Community Champion

I have never about that, and we should not practice it. If the results were not positive with your dad, then they may be of no effect to your uncle. If he can see a med, I do not think that he will be prescribed the same medicines. He first needs to go to hospital to get his own prescribed drugs.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's illegal but as as ex-addict myself, I'm hardly going to preach. Tell your mother that what she plans to do is against the law and let her make her own mind up on the matter.
  13. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

It is absolutely illegal to share prescription drugs. By rights, you should take them back to the chemist that you bought them from, and they will then have them destroyed. I know of a lot of people who were prescribed simple things like paracetamol and their families kept them, however I would never do this as you don't really know what you're getting - and the drugs in question were made for the people they were prescribed for, not for you. You should be very careful and only ever take things prescribed for you by your own GP.
  14. GabinoTapia

GabinoTapia Active Contributor

It is Illegal to share prescription drugs. I think that the greatest reason why it is illegal to share the medications could be because it could have different effects to another person. An example of this, is a case about a girl who used her friends prescription drugs and she was later rushed to the hospital because she got some burn- like marks and could actually feel like she was burning. One should never use another persons medications and I think you should tell your family member that it could be very dangerous.
  15. Mzpeaceful1

Mzpeaceful1 Active Contributor

In most states it is a felony to give anyone else your prescription medication. For the very reasons stated above, if someone were to have an adverse reaction or get into a car accident under the influence of that medication, there could be grave circumstances. Each individual reacts differently to medications so it is never wise to risk sharing your medications with anyone ever.
  16. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

I am pretty sure that sharing prescription drugs is illegal. There is a reason that the drugs are prescribed for YOU, not someone else. Abusing prescription drugs is a big problem in itself, but sharing it with others is even worse. At least those prescription drugs were designed with your body in mind! I am not advocating the abuse of prescription drugs, but giving them to someone who was not even given them by a doctor is just a terrible decision. What works for your body may not work for someone else's!